REPORT: No Big 12 expansion...this year at least

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What you say about marketing is true. The flaw in your logic, is that NIU brings the Chicago market. If you could back that up I might jump on board.

All the fan studies I have seen indicate NIU brings about 25% of the Dekalb market. The schools with the biggest fanbases in Chicago are Illinois, Notre Dame, Wisky, Michigan, Ohio State and other Big10 schools. NIU is a blip outside Dekalb.

I thought Northwestern was Chicago's team? :jimlad:

TheBigAwesome

Jun 5, 2012
While in no way do I think NIU will even be in the conversation I have to share some things..Now this is 2014 data so a little old but if it's all about TV eyeballs here is some facts:

College Football team tv ratings by team: Average viewers per game

#1 Alabama- 6.4 mil
#24 Texas- 2.4 mil
#32 Iowa- 2.1 mil
#40 C. FL- 1.6 mil
#43 Arizona- 1.6 mil
#52 Rice- 1.2 mil
#55 Boise- 1.1 mil
#57 BYU- 1.1 mil
#58 NIU- 1.1 mil
#61 UConn- 1.0 mil
#70 USF- 740k
#74 ISU- 660k
#80 Cinn- 530k
#84 Hous- 330k

Now this is few years old so Houston has prob jumped quite a bit I would guess..Anyone who is worried about Super Conferences and ISU being left out and count me in that group you can see why..we just don't draw the eyeballs folks. Anyway point is NIU is actually a lot higher than I thought they would be. .

Yeah, I didn't have numbers at the ready but I have seen where NIU has better TV ratings than many of the schools that are often mentioned. This post backs up what I've seen elsewhere. I think current numbers still reflect this.

Also something to consider, is that often NIU pulls in better ratings despite being relegated to a lesser ESPN channel, for example, NIU pulls in higher ratings on ESPN2 than some AAC schools pull in on ESPN. Given that these schools will be in the Big 12 and have access to better TV slots only helps their case. I think NIU is one of the candidates with the most "growth potential" which is being listed as a factor being considered.

I just think that people here blindly dismiss them because, I don't know, they're in the MAC? MAC...AAC...same difference. If looked at objectively, NIU is one of the better available candidates. Luckily, nobody here is making the decision.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the Big12 needs to explore a number of different avenues rather than jump on the easy option of adding schools like BYU, Cincy, UCONN, Memphis, etc. Other than BYU and Cincy- schools like Memphis, UCF, Temple and Houston see their published attendance fluctuate significanly between winning seasons (40k) and bad seasons (20k).

If I were the Big12 leadership, I would explore the following:

1) Not sure the SEC has a GOR. The Big12 should approach Mizzou. Sure the SEC TV contract for FB brings more money, but has Mizzou lost its relevance by moving to the SEC. It definitely has in basketball.

2) Approach a handful of Pac12 schools and see if they would be interested in joining the Big12. It looks like their GOR runs through 2023 or 2024, but are GOR's even enforceable? The obvious targets are schools in Arizona and California, but maybe a combined Big12/Pac12 (less WVU and maybe Utah, WSU and Oregon State)

3) If there is no synergy with the Pac12. The Big12 needs to determine if long term it makes more sense to expand east- adding Cincy, UConn, UCF and Memphis. Or to expamd west- drop WVU and add BYU, SDSU, CSU or Boise or New Mexico or UNLV. IMO adding BYU makes no sense, if the Big12 isn't going all in on expanding west. IMO in 2016 expanding east is the obvious choice. However, long-term is expanding west a better financial decision?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The big takeaway for me with that TV rating data is that the national viewer base for BYU is a myth. A team going toe to toe with Rice and NIU for ratings isn't a national brand.

TheBigAwesome

Jun 5, 2012

Dekalb is part of the Chicago TV market. This is not a matter of opinion, it is a FACT.

Here's another source, Comcast maps:

Small map:
Small20Chicago20Market20Map.jpg

Large Map:
Chicago%20Map.jpg

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah, I didn't have numbers at the ready but I have seen where NIU has better TV ratings than many of the schools that are often mentioned. This post backs up what I've seen elsewhere. I think current numbers still reflect this.

Also something to consider, is that often NIU pulls in better ratings despite being relegated to a lesser ESPN channel, for example, NIU pulls in higher ratings on ESPN2 than some AAC schools pull in on ESPN. Given that these schools will be in the Big 12 and have access to better TV slots only helps their case. I think NIU is one of the candidates with the most "growth potential" which is being listed as a factor being considered.

I just think that people here blindly dismiss them because, I don't know, they're in the MAC? MAC...AAC...same difference. If looked at objectively, NIU is one of the better available candidates. Luckily, nobody here is making the decision.

You ramble non-stop and then cling to the one person who supports you. How about you present some (valid) links to back up your statements. You know, like you said, "link or it didn't happen"!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Dekalb is part of the Chicago TV market. This is not a matter of opinion, it is a FACT.

Here's another source, Comcast maps:

Small map:
Small20Chicago20Market20Map.jpg

Large Map:
Chicago%20Map.jpg
I think its funny on how set you are on adding NIU and how they "bring" the Chicago TV market.
Having lived in Chicago for the last 7 years, I can say, nobody cares about NIU. Nobody even cares about Northwestern. What is your connection to NIU? There has to be a connection, because no sane person would want to add NIU to the Big 12 if they have no biased opinions.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Who gives a damn if nobody will actually watch them. Nobody watches northwestern, they sure as hell arent watching NIU.

TheBigAwesome

Jun 5, 2012
The big takeaway for me with that TV rating data is that the national viewer base for BYU is a myth. A team going toe to toe with Rice and NIU for ratings isn't a national brand.

I could have told you that.

The Mormon population is mainly out west and mostly confined to Utah, southeast Idaho, southwest Wyoming, and eastern Nevada.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I could have told you that.

The Mormon population is mainly out west and mostly confined to Utah, southeast Idaho, southwest Wyoming, and eastern Nevada.

But that alumni network and ties to the Church of Latter Day Saints puts them on par with what Notre Dame means for Catholics.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
While in no way do I think NIU will even be in the conversation I have to share some things..Now this is 2014 data so a little old but if it's all about TV eyeballs here is some facts:

College Football team tv ratings by team: Average viewers per game

#1 Alabama- 6.4 mil
#24 Texas- 2.4 mil
#32 Iowa- 2.1 mil
#40 UCF- 1.6 mil
#43 Arizona- 1.6 mil
#52 Rice- 1.2 mil
#55 Boise- 1.1 mil
#57 BYU- 1.1 mil
#58 N. IL- 1.1 mil
#61 UConn- 1.0 mil
#70 USF- 740k
#74 ISU- 660k
#80 Cinn- 530k
#84 Hous- 330k

Now this is few years old so Houston has prob jumped quite a bit I would guess..Anyone who is worried about Super Conferences and ISU being left out and count me in that group you can see why..we just don't draw the eyeballs folks. Anyway point is N ILL is actually a lot higher than I thought they would be. This is obviously key data they look at with ESPN in selecting our newest members. It's all about $$ and eyeballs. But BOwlsby also said it's also about future growth of these teams..I could see teams in large markets like Cinnci or Uconn grow a lot eyeball wise when Texas or OU play them etc.. UCF might def be strong candidate..Huge school..huge alumni..could be a very good fball team in P5 conf.Florida market for TV and recruiting.

Edit: I've never understood the "these teams don't move the needle for Big 12 tv wise argument" teams like Boise..BYU..UCF..Heck Uconn..have a greater viewership per game than nearly half our conference! Kstate, KU, ISU and WV rank lower than the 4 I just mentioned combined. How can those teams not move the needle tv wise when clearly they would.

Where is that info from. I call BS. How can teams that are never on TV or hidden draw more views than teams that are on every week? What is the total season viewership of the teams. The teams ISU plays is going to bring their average up over some of those schools that play no body week in week out.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
LandThieves is in meltdown mode as reality is setting in that they are likely to sign a GoR extension in an expanded Big 12 conference and not be playing in B1G by 2022.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think its funny on how set you are on adding NIU and how they "bring" the Chicago TV market.
Having lived in Chicago for the last 7 years, I can say, nobody cares about NIU. Nobody even cares about Northwestern. What is your connection to NIU? There has to be a connection, because no sane person would want to add NIU to the Big 12 if they have no biased opinions.

NIU brings Chicago like Rutgers brings NYC. It works for fees on your own network. It doesn't work to boost ratings and sponsor dollars.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
NIU brings Chicago like LIU brings NYC.

No one cares about NIU. And I really hope this is the last post about them. Because they will not be considered.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
NIU brings Chicago like Rutgers brings NYC. It works for fees on your own network. It doesn't work to boost ratings and sponsor dollars.
Except Rutgers is a huge Tier 1 University, with great academics, and located in a the middle of a metropolis. They have the pull to raise cable subscription fees.
NIU on the otherhand is a second tier mid-sized University located in the middle of nowhere. They don't have the pull to raise cable fees on 3.5 million subscribers.
Just because a University is located in a huge TV market, doesn't necessarily mean they bring that market. Otherwise, NIU, Houston, Tulane, UCF, USF, UNLV, SJSU, SDSU, Temple, and many more D-1 Universities with football that are located in very large TV markets would have been in a P5 conference long ago when expansions were taking place to grab TV viewers.

Comparing Rutgers and the NY market with NIU and the Chicago market is not a good comparison. Northwestern bringing the Chicago market would be a better comparison. (and that's still a stretch)

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Where is that info from. I call BS. How can teams that are never on TV or hidden draw more views than teams that are on every week? What is the total season viewership of the teams. The teams ISU plays is going to bring their average up over some of those schools that play no body week in week out.

Do you know how many people watched last years ISUvOU game? Like 600k.. Thats' it.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Sports Media Watch. With the world of what we call the Internet and a simple google search do you think I just made all that up? You say teams that are never on tv? Like who? Step outside of our state for a second. A lot of games are regional and even though they may not be P5 they still have games on tv..

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sports Media Watch. With the world of what we call the Internet and a simple google search do you think I just made all that up? You say teams that are never on tv? Like who? Step outside of our state for a second. A lot of games are regional and even though they may not be P5 they still have games on tv..
Since the MAC plays a lot of their nationally televised games during the week nights, they get more viewers just because the casual fan wants to watch college football on a Tues or Wed night. I think the MAC is the only show during those nights on ESPN/2. However, if any of those teams were to join a P5 conference and play their games on Saturday, their ratings would plummet.

Help Support Us

Become a patron