Repealing the Drinking Age?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
As proven by the links shared by Angie and JBH.

Al you've proven yourself to like a good party and that's ok, but sometimes you take it over the top with your views on drugs, alcohol, police, etc.

Curious what your views are on the seatbelt law?

Opposed to it for adults, favor it for children. You have the right to take needless risks with your life.

I don't have a problem with cops. 5-6 years ago I did, but I've worked around them in the past 3-4 years to know that most of them are straight shooters who are trying to do their job. The problem is that when you're enforcing the law, you're doing explicitly that. Laws change over time, and at any given time you can almost guarantee that there will be laws on the books that are unjust, unnecessary, or ineffective and will change in time. Most people who ***** about cops should be ******** about the law that the cop is enforcing. The cop isn't a legislator.

I won't apologize for Libertarian leaning views. If you think my views on drugs or alcohol are over the top, I would suggest you take a look at the Portugal situation and ask yourself "why couldn't that happen everywhere?"

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Looking at Italy and Spain, they had some of the lowest alcohol-related death/disease rates in the EU, yet they had the youngest legal age (16). I thought that was interesting; I wonder why they are so different from their neighboring countries.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Looking at Italy and Spain, they had some of the lowest alcohol-related death/disease rates in the EU, yet they had the youngest legal age (16). I thought that was interesting; I wonder why they are so different from their neighboring countries.

I would bet the super-relaxed pace of life in those countries doesn't hurt anything on that front.

But there's a reason they aren't accomplishing a hell of a lot either.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I would bet the super-relaxed pace of life in those countries doesn't hurt anything on that front.

But there's a reason they aren't accomplishing a hell of a lot either.

as I keep reading, every country that I've looked at (Spain, France, Germany, Italy, UK) said that the current young generation drinks much more than the parent/grandparents and binge drinking is on the rise.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If you think my views on drugs or alcohol are over the top, I would suggest you take a look at the Portugal situation and ask yourself "why couldn't that happen everywhere?"

Drug addition is down in Portugal...that's great! But that blurb says nothing about long term health effects, and doesn't address whether there have been any effects on productivity. Unfortunately, Portugal's economy has been in the crapper for nearly 15 years, so it may be difficult to make any kind of study on productivity.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
as I keep reading, every country that I've looked at (Spain, France, Germany, Italy, UK) said that the current young generation drinks much more than the parent/grandparents and binge drinking is on the rise.
I think most of that is just a generational thing. Younger people don't think they have to have personal responsibility anymore. I think part of that is that more american media is reaching them so they see the bad actions and think it is okay.

Overall something like drinking is always going to have problems and the only way to minimize them is to practice personal responsibility.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron