REFUTED: Travis Hines: A look into the ISU BBall program and the Athletic Dept

Spam

May 21, 2008
In some professions with a tight knit community (coaching, for example) it is considered bad form to go to the media with grievances about previous employers. This type of thing can get you black-balled.

Which is why Fred denying that he had a bad relationship with JP should be taken with a bit of caution.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If somebody asked you about your boss, would you give the same answers if it was off the record vs. your comments being given to him with your name attached? Keep in mind I doubt you're going to be accusing him of anything illegal or revealing government secrets. Just your honest thoughts and feelings.

I try to be a little less two-faced than you're used to. I may use different terminology but I'll provide my boss the same feedback that would come out over a beer with co-workers without the boss present.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
In some professions with a tight knit community (coaching, for example) it is considered bad form to go to the media with grievances about previous employers. This type of thing can get you black-balled.

Since I get the feeling JP and CFH both know who this is coming from, it still could cause problems down the line.

Some of this stuff just sounds like people sitting around ******** and whining and speculating about perceived slights and not getting the perks they feel they are entitled to that got turned into a witch hunt on the AD.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Since I get the feeling JP and CFH both know who this is coming from, it still could cause problems down the line.

Some of this stuff just sounds like people sitting around ******** and whining and speculating about perceived slights and not getting the perks they feel they are entitled to that got turned into a witch hunt on the AD.

I've asked several times... What did Fred NOT have that the program NEEDED other than Fred wanting more salary? What was denied?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
To people that have listened to the rebuttals and whatnot, has Hines responded to the seeming inaccuracies in his story? Referring to the flight stuff and tickets/ tax stuff, or whatever else.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
To people that have listened to the rebuttals and whatnot, has Hines responded to the seeming inaccuracies in his story? Referring to the flight stuff and tickets/ tax stuff, or whatever else.

I only heard the followup interview he had on the Fanatics radio show with Scott and Chris; he wouldn't go much past 'I stand by everything in the story and the reporting I did.'

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've asked several times... What did Fred NOT have that the program NEEDED other than Fred wanting more salary? What was denied?

ncaa-basketball-championship-trophy.jpg

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
What I don't get out of the whole article is that even at face value (not taking into consideration what has been deemed false) is that it really seems to be thrown out there without a real clear message or agenda (by Travis, clearly the sources had an agenda). Most of the time with these types of articles, the message is carried throughout and you feel like you can understand what the writer is trying to convey, here it just floats out there like a wiffle ball against a stiff breeze.

On the same note, I'm still amazed at how it supposedly took 4-5 months to write this, there just isn't any meat or factual digging that could have been done. I can pick up the phone or send emails and reach "nearly a dozen sources" in a matter of hours, so at most I could see this taking a week since there was clearly no other research to backup the stated rumors. It just goes against logic to think that he would have been waiting on any FOI or data points to come back since none were used in the article or for backing the alleged rumors.

Just seems so incredibly odd both of Travis and the Tribune.

My thought is the original source gave Hines an ultimatum - publish by October 1 or I will go to an alternative media outlet with the story. My speculation is this ultimatum was recently made.

Maybe the reason it took 4-5 months was he had trouble getting verification. For example, he knew the luggage was in the hotel ballroom. However, he needed to confirm a player took a nap in the ballroom.

Alternatively, there are additional claims that have not been "verified."

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Over 100 pages on a posting based on a questionable story with much more innuendo than facts. Even if some of the "revelations" are true, like the hotel room and the coaches wives' flights, these are petty in the big world of college sports. Regarding the salary: what was JP supposed to do? He is working with a $62 million budget, and competing with schools with $80 million, $100 million and even more. Not an easy task. And not everyone will agree with where he saves money and where he spends it. Show me any boss that makes money decisions that are agreed to by all his or her employees - I doubt if one exists, and if they do they are extremely rare. I know I didn't. I don't think I ever made a decision that everyone disagreed with, but lots that some disagreed with. In other words, some "close to double digit sources" disagree with JP's decisions. You could find a handful of disgruntled people in the most popular of companies; means nothing.

I am butt hurt that Cael left and Fred left, but find the story by Hines to be petty and superficial.

And for those of you who disagree, tell us where you would take the money from in order to cover the expenses/costs than Hines refers to. It would have to come from somewhere.

Shame on Travis Hines. Shame on the Tribune.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
If that story took 4-5 months to complete, Hines should be fired for that alone. I'll eat my hat if that piece took more than two weeks from start to finish.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Over 100 pages on a posting based on a questionable story with much more innuendo than facts. Even if some of the "revelations" are true, like the hotel room and the coaches wives' flights, these are petty in the big world of college sports. Regarding the salary: what was JP supposed to do? He is working with a $62 million budget, and competing with schools with $80 million, $100 million and even more. Not an easy task. And not everyone will agree with where he saves money and where he spends it. Show me any boss that makes money decisions that are agreed to by all his or her employees - I doubt if one exists, and if they do they are extremely rare. I know I didn't. I don't think I ever made a decision that everyone disagreed with, but lots that some disagreed with. In other words, some "close to double digit sources" disagree with JP's decisions. You could find a handful of disgruntled people in the most popular of companies; means nothing.

I am butt hurt that Cael left and Fred left, but find the story by Hines to be petty and superficial.

And for those of you who disagree, tell us where you would take the money from in order to cover the expenses/costs than Hines refers to. It would have to come from somewhere.

Shame on Travis Hines. Shame on the Tribune.

A good start might be to actually pay Fred a top 10 public university salary since that he was claiming to have been paying that.

At least pay him considerably more than Rhoads. Fred barely made 100k more than Rhoads did for 2014.

The article is more or less crap, I agree.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
I would never hire anyone that did this and I don't know anyone who would.

You would never hire someone who said nice things about their former boss? Because it's possible I could say nice things about a former employer when asked and be sincere about jt

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Well it's also not considered smart to publicly bad mouth your ex-boss-- a philosophy Fred perhaps believes in

Agree..... In Fred's case, he's too smart to say anything to the public that will hurt his brand. He has nothing to gain in saying anything negative about JP even if he had issues with him when in Ames.