Redskins = WFT = Commanders?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have the perfect helmet for it!

View attachment 94990
ExcitableSingleAfricanpiedkingfisher-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: cyclones500

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Actually the new owner liked the "Charge!" bugle call and chant that they were using at Dodgers and Trojans games so he named his team Chargers.

I prefer the urban legend story about the original owner (hotel magnate Barron Hilton) used the name because he’d started a new “charge” card (the Carte Blanche card) that could be used at his hotels, so it was kind of a form of advertising. Probably not true, but I still like it.

Reactions: cyclones500

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
How about the Washington Clintons? Historical and alliterative at the same time.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
I like seeing the assessment and appreciate effort of compiling it. I agree with a lot, disagree on some, without developing my own list.

(Maybe I will, if time permits :) )

For the "makes no sense/out of place" category:

* Cardinals were in St. Louis (prior to that Chicago) so it's regionally fitting. Probably should have done a name-change with the move to Arizona. (Similar thing when Rams relocated to St. Louis).

* Jaguars came from a nickname contest -- Jaguars aren't native to Florida, but the oldest living jag in the U.S. was at Jacksonville Zoo at the time. It's a "generic" animal nickname, but ... jaguars hunt crocodiles for lunch, for goodness sake.

The Chicago Bears were originally the Decatur Staleys, after the Staley starch company. They may have gotten the name Bears after moving to Chicago by originally playing at Wrigley Field (home of the Cubs, get it?).

The Cleveland Browns were named not after the color, but after Paul Brown, who co-founded the team in addition to being the head coach.

The Rams also started in Cleveland, so it’s just luck that there are bighorns near LA. :D

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
Speaking of Tennessee Titans being generic, remember the first year after they fled Houston, when they played in Memphis? They’d bugged out of Houston so fast they hadn’t come up with new uniforms yet so they played one season as the Tennessee Oilers. At least it didn’t stick, like the Minneapolis/LA Lakers or the New Orleans/Utah Jazz or the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies. Plenty of “jazz” in Salt Lake City, and grizzly bears roaming around Memphis.

Reactions: VeloClone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
As someone mentioned earlier just go through teams that are brand names and established and pretend if they were a new team name now:

Dolphins (fits the area but most would be like seriously? A dolphin?)
Packers (great connection to the area but still Packers would be considered trying too hard by many if named today)
Bills (nothing needs to be said here when you realize what the team name is)
Angels (most would think this is weak if thought of today)
Magic (this one still gets mocked today)

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
while not really tied to DC other than military history I thought it would’ve been cool to be the Washington Red Tails. I like anything typically that isn’t generic.

The one in relative recent years that is awesome is definitely the Ravens with the nod to Poe.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The Washington Snowflakes could possibly work.