SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
This was in the CR Gazette today.

------------------------------

Carver redesign might top $40 million
By Scott Dochterman
The Gazette

IOWA CITY — Carver-Hawkeye Arena’s redesign could cost more than $40 million, Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said this week.

Original cost estimates were $25 million to $40 million, and Barta said the final tally could go as high as $45 million. He hopes to raise $15 million in private donations for the project.

‘‘Right now we’re still going back and forth to decide can we still afford something at $40-42 (million),’’ Barta said. ‘‘Once we go to the Board of Regents to ask for permission, we need to have all of those answers well in hand.’’
No timetable has been set. Given regents’ approval, Barta hopes for completion by the 2009-2010 basketball season but concedes the following season might be more realistic.

‘‘It’s a very broad range at this point,’’ he said. ‘‘And we don’t even have permission to proceed.’’

Preliminary plans continue to bounce — primarily because of cost — between Barta and Iowa City’s Neumann Monson Architects, so designs are not finished. Barta said the bowl will stay similar in structure, but the 25-yearold arena will look vastly different from the court upon completion.

Iowa plans to add club areas, one of which Barta said will have a ‘‘sports bar-type feel’’ at the top part of the arena. It will include several big-screen televisions and a coat room. Below the gold railing, designs call for padded chairback seating with cupholders at courtside. That group will have its own club area.

The arena won’t include luxury seating, Barta said.

‘‘(The original designers’) goal was to make this a great arena, but not have it be looming high, so they built it in a ravine,’’ said Barta, who praised the original project. ‘‘It served that purpose well. The downside to the way we built the arena is there’s no concourse level, so we are limited in what we can do.’’ Barta said plans call for reseating in at least parts of the arena, according to financial- giving levels and long-term season-ticket holders. Barta said his staff will alert season-ticket holders well in advance about reseating plans.

Barta said the renovated arena will include at least one high-speed elevator. No decision has been made regarding alcohol sales, he said. The project’s primary purpose has little to do with arena cosmetics, however. The men’s and women’s basketball teams and volleyball squad practice at the arena. Wrestling and gymnastics competitions are held there, as are university graduations and other events. That often results in scheduling challenges.

‘‘The No. 1 reason we’re looking at this is we have to have more practice space,’’ Barta said. ‘‘If we did nothing else, we will have to build a practice facility. So that’s what’s driving this. That’s what got this all started.’’

The locker rooms, offices and weight rooms will be renovated. Weight room space now stands at 1,800 square feet and Barta said that needs to expand from 8,000 to 9,000 square feet.

The arena was built in 1983 at a cost of $18.4 million.

Contact the writer: (319) 339-3169 or scott.dochterman@gazette communications.com

Last edited by a moderator:

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Didn't ISU release Master Plan details during a 4-8 season that was followed up with a 3-9 season?

yeah, but we had record setting season ticket numbers during that time along with attendance records at games, not a lower attendance than a volleyball match.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
22, how did you fix that formatting? I've always wanted to get it to look like that but never could figure it out.

Copying stuff from some internet sites is a pain. Some keep the paragraph spacing and some don't.

I've found for the ones that don't, I have to create the post, edit it and add the paragraph lines. If you do it while creating the post, it actually adds an extra line or two.

All I did to edit your post was push enter at the end of each paragraph.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
They can reduce costs by using this guy for security for the games...

205172.jpg

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Isn't ISU spending around $100 million on Hilton, when all is said and done?

Hasn't it been years since weve started talking these plans? Since Iowa has revamped Kinnick and will probably have Carver done before we do.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
High speed elevator? How fast does an elevator have to be if it only goes to a 2-3 levels? This isn't the Sears Tower.

I think they could save $1 million by going with the "Standard Speed" elevator. :)

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
High speed elevator? How fast does an elevator have to be if it only goes to a 2-3 levels? This isn't the Sears Tower.

I think they could save $1 million by going with the "Standard Speed" elevator. :)

So fans can book their *** out of there after being embarassed by being a hawkeye fan.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Judging by the age of some of their fans, a "standard" speed elevator would feel like high speed.

[SLOW DOWN, ETHEL!!!]

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
I like how when they are promoting a "sports bar type feel" they have to add in that yes, there will indeed be a coatroom. thank god now all those people that wear coats in the winter in iowa can finally go to an iowa bball game phew!

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
yeah I saw that as well, but with how full of hot air most hawk fans are, heating shouldn't be a problem, just need to get that industrial cooling system upgraded

Just blow a hole in the roof for the hot air to escape... or just blow it up period :yes:

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
The Squwaks are really paranoid right now. They know we are on the way to having a stronger FB program, BB program, WR program, WBB program, and their answer is to:
1. renovate facilities
2. give coaches pay raises.

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
The arena was built in 1983 at a cost of $18.4 million.

It's hard to beleive they built this in a hole for only 18.4 million. I remember when they built it. There was a lot of controversy because it was during the farm crisis of the 80's. It was very hard for people to understand building an 18 million dollar facility when farmers were having such a hard time.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Only been in Carver once, which is enough, and I thought the place was a dump. Not at all like Hilton, which is thought as one of the best designs in its time.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Carver is terrible...long walk down to seats, dark and dank. Perfect place for Hawks to play. Actually, I liked the old field house much better. They should go back there.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
That's a lot of money just to put a curtain around the upper deck so the arena looks fuller. Aren't these the same hawks that were saying we wouldn't be able to sell out JT?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I hate carver with a passion. I hate the design. I hate the looks. I hate how its so dark. I hate how its just a hole in the ground. I hate how it looks from the outside. I hate how it looks from the inside. I hate how the seats are set up. I hate how theres not a big scoreboard in the middle. I hate carver. I hate that arena. I hate everything about it. The only thing they can do to make it better, is burn it down and rebuild...

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
I hate carver with a passion. I hate the design. I hate the looks. I hate how its so dark. I hate how its just a hole in the ground. I hate how it looks from the outside. I hate how it looks from the inside. I hate how the seats are set up. I hate how theres not a big scoreboard in the middle. I hate carver. I hate that arena. I hate everything about it. The only thing they can do to make it better, is burn it down and rebuild...

How 'bout we just flood it and stock it with fish or something?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
How 'bout we just flood it and stock it with fish or something?

THats a good idea, but since its a crappy place, we will need to put some crappy fish in there...
So, we can start with some big ugly carp :biglaugh: