RECRUITING: Xavier Foster recaps official visit to Iowa State

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
All the crystal ball picks are Iowa, is there even a chance we land this guy?
I'm assuming you're being facetious, but I will say the silence from ISU media is a little deafening.
It seems we usually have CW's birdies providing little hints one way or another. Even the pay boards are relatively quiet from the ISU side.
The Iowa media (+Jerry Meyer) seem fairly confident that he'll end up at Iowa.

I do like that ISU is at a point where landing Foster would be great but doesn't make or break the class. I'm confident Prohm will find a guy in the Spring, or get a solid transfer.
Whereas for Iowa, Foster may literally decide Fran's fate as their coach in 2-3 years.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
All the crystal ball picks are Iowa, is there even a chance we land this guy?

I can't sense sarcasm over the world wide web very well but I keep seeing this being brought up, mainly by twitter hoks

Do they not realize those picks were made in September of 2018... lol

• Winner
Reactions: interrobang

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm assuming you're being facetious, but I will say the silence from ISU media is a little deafening.
It seems we usually have CW's birdies providing little hints one way or another. Even the pay boards are relatively quiet from the ISU side.

I do like that ISU is at a point where landing Foster would be great but doesn't make or break the class. I'm confident Prohm will find a guy in the Spring, or get a solid transfer.
Whereas for Iowa, Foster may literally decide Fran's fate as their coach in 2-3 years.

I don't take the Iowa State media saying nothing as meaning anything. You could easily say they're being quiet to let a local kid have his moment.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
It seems we usually have CW's birdies providing little hints one way or another. Even the pay boards are relatively quiet from the ISU side

Unlike Iowa, we actually have real basketball to talk about.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

At least they did in 2017 and 2018 when they put their CB’s in

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Wanting to feel as confident about this as others, but I'm struggling. If Iowa State is a foregoing conclusion, why even whittle it down to 2 schools at this point? Why not just commit?

What's the difference between committing now and committing in a couple weeks?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

The insiders on here had Blackwell to us a week before CW said anything.

I agree that the insiders are far less cautious than are the media guys -- they do not have the same reasons to be cautious -- but silence this far out is not an indicator of anything. We will have to see what the media says in the few days beforehand.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I agree that the insiders are far less cautious than are the media guys -- they do not have the same reasons to be cautious -- but silence this far out is not an indicator of anything. We will have to see what the media says in the few days beforehand.

True, but I also believe there was an insider saying ISU wasn't recruiting Blackwell anymore.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

ya CW usually posts his “feeling good about this” posts on recruits about 24 hours in advance. The media guys can’t afford to be wrong.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Wanting to feel as confident about this as others, but I'm struggling. If Iowa State is a foregoing conclusion, why even whittle it down to 2 schools at this point? Why not just commit?
@Clonefan32, most recruits set dates so that their friends and family can be present for the event. I've been to a few commitment events as well as NBA and NFL draft parties for athletes; it's mainly to celebrate the athlete with the family, friends and coaches.

There is nothing more awkward than going to a draft party and the dude not getting drafted.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Not something I regularly do, but copying this discussion from a thread on a Hawk board about Foster. The question was which of the two coaches would you rather have your child play for. I would answer it differently, but if we took off our fan glasses and answered objectively, I believe it would still look dramatically different than what you see below.

"Easy question, who would you rather play for, Steve Prohm or Fran McCaffery? If it was my kid choosing, it would be an easy choice.
I would much rather have a kid play for Fran. Prohm hasn’t really done anything of note after Hoibergs players left. They have a ton of roster turnover and internal issues it seems. Someone is always in trouble, fighting with a teammate, etc.

say what you want about Frans recruiting but he has a nearly ten year track record of kids graduating, mostly staying out of trouble, and his players love him."

99 L. Wade Childress, Today at 6:59 AM

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Remember the ISU media and "Hoiberg watch" when anyone connected to the program knew he was for sure gone a month beforehand?

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Not something I regularly due, but copying this discussion from a thread on a Hawk board about Foster. The question was which of the two coaches would you rather have your child play for. I would answer it differently, but if we took off our fan glasses and answered objectively, I believe it would still look dramatically different than what you see below.

"Easy question, who would you rather play for, Steve Prohm or Fran McCaffery? If it was my kid choosing, it would be an easy choice.
I would much rather have a kid play for Fran. Prohm hasn’t really done anything of note after Hoibergs players left. They have a ton of roster turnover and internal issues it seems. Someone is always in trouble, fighting with a teammate, etc.

say what you want about Frans recruiting but he has a nearly ten year track record of kids graduating, mostly staying out of trouble, and his players love him."

99 L. Wade Childress, Today at 6:59 AM

Say what you want about Fran's recruiting, but he has a nearly ten year track record of showing up to work on time. Hard to argue with that.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
At least they did in 2017 and 2018 when they put their CB’s in
The 247 guys didn't really come out and say Foster to Iowa, but they were clear that the Murray twins did not impact Foster's decision this week, per their sources.
Jerry Meyer did reiterate that he thinks Iowa is the leader in a chat this week.

• Informative
Reactions: Halincandenza

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The 247 guys didn't really come out and say Foster to Iowa, but they were clear that the Murray twins did not impact Foster's decision this week, per their sources.
Jerry Meyer did reiterate that he thinks Iowa is the leader in a chat this week.

I didn't know Meyer commented on it this week. Not surprised he's still going Iowa though

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
But then Meyer also said he hasn't been very tuned into that recruitment lately, and that he would have to follow up and look into it a little more.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

The Iowa reporters, despite their CBs, have explicitly said this week they have no idea between Iowa and Iowa State.

JM has said he hasn't heard anything to change his CB. I wouldn't say his responses exactly inspired confidence in his Iowa pick though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron