Recruiting success in general

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
First of all, I was a solid supporter of Rhoads right up to the 2015 K State game. I was at the game and when we stopped them on 4th down, I stood up and said, "OK, Victory Formation!", because it was not hard to figure out that with the time between plays and the 40 seconds per play clock, we should be able to run out the clock, or at worst we might have to snap the ball on 4th down with just a couple seconds on the clock and so you just throw a long pass and time runs out. When we lined up to run the ball I said "What are we doing?" And of course we all know what happened and Rhoads was dismissed the next day largely due to the incompetence of not ending that game with a victory.

But in hindsight, I think we can admit now that there was a lot of disappointment in his recruiting classes. It seemed so many kids failed to even make it here, or they would leave after they got here.

2013 we had 24 enrollees with 21 being freshmen. Of those 21, 7 just finished their senior season, Nigel Tribune graduated last year and Brian Mills retired after his Redshirt Junior season.

The 2014 class had 25 enrollees with 7 being Jucos. Of the other 18 kids, ten are seniors this year and Lazard has graduated.

The 2015 class had 22 enrollees with 6 Jucos. Of the 16 other kids, 9 are still here.

Our 2016 class had 28 commits with 7 of them Jucos. The only freshman to leave so far was Keenan Forbes so we have 20 out of 21 still on the team. Some of our Jucos from this class did not pan out but that is going to be the case more often than not.

Our 2017 class was 26 commits with 26 enrolled and 26 all still here a year later.

So admittedly the track record is too short to say anything definitive, but I do like the way things are trending for the team as far as getting young men that actually make it here and stay and contribute. Another year or two from now we will have a much better picture, but still I think we can at least take some comfort in what at least appears to be an improving trend toward more successes with our recruiting. Anyway, that's my analysis of it and I hoped others would find this of interest.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I’m very encouraged by how this staff identifies guys, and reading between the lines, identifies guys that fit what they want to do, how they want to play, and the attitude with which they play. Everything about Matt Campbell screams purpose.
If I remember right, Campbell said they have specific measurable's that they look for with certain positions as well.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Rhoads' had a ton of attrition in his own right, but to be fair, Campbell cleaned house when he came in

• Agree
Reactions: CYTUTT

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Rhoads' had a ton of attrition in his own right, but to be fair, Campbell cleaned house when he came in

I knew something working with the training staff when Campbell and crew came in. Like so many have posted, he said it was a dramatic change right away, and everyone was working harder and sooooo much more motivated.

He was convinced within a week or two that big things were coming. Pretty cool that he was right on the money.

Help Support Us

Become a patron