Recruiting question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Ok I've never seen any questions like this here. My "little" brother is starting to get some letters from schools for football and I think he's got some interest in coming to ISU. Right now he's got letters from K-State and a couple of MAC schools. I've got some selfish reasons for getting him noticed at ISU (gives me an excuse for buying season tickets). So how do I help him get noticed?

In case anybody is wondering he's a OL prospect and will be a senior next year. He's 6'7" 310 and bench presses somewhere north of 500lbs. I think he's got a shot at being a D1 player.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Videos... his stats.... and send it to Rhoads and Company talk to the coaches on the O-Line...AFTER THE SEASON IS OVER.

Watch the O-line moves..... concentrate on his position and how to better himself... and then when he gets a look at.... push that to the extreme and make a showing forhimself.... O-Line...hands, feet, hands, feet hands....... agility, mobility... and dedication to improve..... work on that... after the season is over ... tehn tell him to see the O-Line for suggestions....

Last edited:

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Since he's a junior, coaches can't talk to him. But what I would do if I was your brother, is send out emails to potential schools after his Junior year is over. Also attending lots of camps will help get his name out there.

As for what you can do, there are such sites as berecruited.com. I know its used quite a bit out here in the NE but my experience with it is on the DIII level not DI.

These are just my experiences with track, not football so they might not apply as much. Hope it helps.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
We can't help too much with the process, as people on this site are considered boosters. That being said, the thing to do would be to contact CPR and his staff.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Videos... his stats.... and send it to Rhoads and Company talk to the coaches on the O-Line...AFTER THE SEASON IS OVER.

Watch the O-line moves..... concentrate on his position and how to better himself... and then when he gets a look at.... push that to the extreme and make a showing forhimself.... O-Line...hands, feet, hands, feet hands....... agility, mobility... and dedication to improve..... work on that... after the season is over ... tehn tell him to see the O-Line for suggestions....

If you haven't already see if you can get a family member to go to the game and record him. In my videos a stand makes a heck of a difference. No need to zoom in directly on him, enough to see the line, and follow him around. Then after a couple games or the season compile these and look for great blocking, pulling etc. I used the program windows movie maker. Upload the film to your computer and go through and editing clips you do and don't want. Start it off with a couple MS paint slides of his stats and a picture.

Hope this helps a little, but overall these are not real hard to do. I am sure someone in your family has a digital recorder, or someone on the team.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Hope he's playing basketball too. It develops hand eye coordination and foot work as well. And at 6'7, they could probably use him...

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
The two coaches that you'd probably want to notice him are Bliel (OL) and Messingham, who I believe recruits that part of Iowa.

ISU2010

Jun 20, 2010
At 6'7", your brother is an offensive tackle prospect. CPR is going after very athletic offensive linemen for the offensive tackle position - in the 2011 class he has OT commits from basketball star Brock Dagel and H.S. TE/DE Jamison Lalk. Those two are 6'7" and 6'6" respectively and about 240-250 lbs. In 2010 we signed OL 6'6" 255 lbs Jacob Gannon and OL 6'5" 275 lb Ben Loth, and in 2009 we signed OL 6'6" 245 lbs Kyle Lichtenberg.

A 310-lb OT prospect is quite heavier than what the ISU coaches are looking for. If his body fat composition is over 20%, then he's carrying too much unusable weight and should get down to this level to maximize his speed and quickness. The more speed and quickness that your brother can show in camps will impress the coaches more than his weight and strength.

A 500-lb bench press is impressive but it doesn't translate well to success at D1 football. What will impress the coaches more and improve his lineman play is if he has great hip power and flexibility and can parallel squat 500-lbs and clean over 300-lbs. A D1 OT prospect should be on a strength & conditioning regiment similar to this one:
Bigger Faster Stronger - High School Athletic Weight Training Programs and Equipment

I also recommend him attending early football camps at other universities before he attends ISU's. If ISU's camp is one of the first ones that he's attended, then he'll be behind on technique.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
At 6'7", your brother is an offensive tackle prospect. CPR is going after very athletic offensive linemen for the offensive tackle position - in the 2011 class he has OT commits from basketball star Brock Dagel and H.S. TE/DE Jamison Lalk. Those two are 6'7" and 6'6" respectively and about 240-250 lbs. In 2010 we signed OL 6'6" 255 lbs Jacob Gannon and OL 6'5" 275 lb Ben Loth, and in 2009 we signed OL 6'6" 245 lbs Kyle Lichtenberg.

A 310-lb OT prospect is quite heavier than what the ISU coaches are looking for. If his body fat composition is over 20%, then he's carrying too much unusable weight and should get down to this level to maximize his speed and quickness. The more speed and quickness that your brother can show in camps will impress the coaches more than his weight and strength.

A 500-lb bench press is impressive but it doesn't translate well to success at D1 football. What will impress the coaches more and improve his lineman play is if he has great hip power and flexibility and can parallel squat 500-lbs and clean over 300-lbs. A D1 OT prospect should be on a strength & conditioning regiment similar to this one:
Bigger Faster Stronger - High School Athletic Weight Training Programs and Equipment

I also recommend him attending early football camps at other universities before he attends ISU's. If ISU's camp is one of the first ones that he's attended, then he'll be behind on technique.

I think he'd be a pretty good fit for Herman's scheme, they are already running a run heavy spread option similar to what we've ran the last two years. He was a basketball player but gave that up last year because he was getting burnt out. He also got a black belt in karate in middle school. I only got down to see him play once and he looks quick.

He's actually a pretty lean 310. Most guys that size have a noticeable gut hanging over his belt he doesn't. I mentioned the bench because that's the most recent school lifting record he broke but he's got school records in bench, parallel squat and one other lift. I think he was about 6 inches short of a Missouri state record in shot put as a sophomore.

Thanks for all the input. Being from Missouri if he played at a bigger school Mizzou would be all over him I think but they don't bother offering kids from smaller in-state schools they ones they want get asked to come as a preferred walk-on because no out of state schools bother recruiting them. They did that with a DE from my old high school a couple years ago who had 18 sacks his senior year. He did that only playing the first half of games until the play-offs because they only had 2 touchdowns scored on them the whole regular season.

He told me Thursday given the chance his two top choices were ISU since I'm an alum and Mizzou since that's in state. Like I said before he's getting letters from a couple of the directional Michigan schools in the MAC and K-State. Last summer he got invited to a recruiting dinner in Des Moines that I think was put on by Rivals. I'm pretty sure he'll be playing on Saturday's I just hope I can steer him to help out the clones.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I don't know all the rules, but I would suggest he tell his high school coach that he is interested in Iowa State and Missouri and if he is a good coach and your brother is as good as you think, the coach will help him more than any of us can.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I don't know all the rules, but I would suggest he tell his high school coach that he is interested in Iowa State and Missouri and if he is a good coach and your brother is as good as you think, the coach will help him more than any of us can.

This. I know for a fact that my high school coach regularly talked to college coaches in Iowa ranging from DIII to Iowa and ISU. Well, not so much ISU on a regular basis, but that is because my school was only half an hour away from the U of I.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
All that has to be done is enroll him in a D-1 summer camp. The 2 reason's the coach's put up with summer camps is to get a little pad to their income but mostly to discover talent. And the "coach's grapevine" passes talent info very rapidly. If he has size and talent at the D-1 level, he will be a known commodity immediately. This I know from experience.