Recruiting on Defense

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Uh we let up on them really early, even played Tiller in the 1st half when we could have ran it up on them. Played a ton of reserves on offense and defense in the 2nd half and played it real conservative on offense the rest of the game after got up 34-7. Could have easily scored into the 40s, it was a pretty dominating victory.

We dominated the game at times & I liked the fact the PR played the 2 & 3 deep players the entire 4th quarter. However, the team that Kent State put on the field last night was a very poor MAC team. The team that Kent State put on the field last night might not be able to win a MAC Conference game.

ISU had way too many TO's and penalties in the first 3 quarters.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
I think we need 2 JUCO DE's, 1 JUCO DT, and 1 JUCO LB. Any much more than that is a little excessive. We still have to make sure we have enough room for high school recruits at those positions to build for the future.

If I were Coach Rhoads, this is what I would sign:

1 QB
1 RB
3 WR (including 1 JUCO)
2 TE (including 1 JUCO)
5 OL (possibly 1 JUCO)
4 DE (including 2 JUCOs)
2 DT (including 1 JUCO)
4 LB (including 1 JUCO)
3 S (including 1 JUCO)
2 CB
1 P

That's 28 total with 7 or 8 JUCOs. I know a couple of the JUCOs who have committed are mid-year transfers, so I think there's room on last year's class to count them.

Reactions: Aclone

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I keep saying this...why recruit juco's this year only to get drilled the next two season and have to pay the piper for going juco in the very season we should be making our turn around the corner (2012)?

Don't mean to be negative but the next two years are gonna be rough regardless of who we bring in. Why not bring in high school kids and develop the heck out of them over the next two years so they are seasoned by 2012 when our schedule lightens up and CPR has had a full 3 yrs to establish his program?

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
I keep saying this...why recruit juco's this year only to get drilled the next two season and have to pay the piper for going juco in the very season we should be making our turn around the corner (2012)?

Don't mean to be negative but the next two years are gonna be rough regardless of who we bring in. Why not bring in high school kids and develop the heck out of them over the next two years so they are seasoned by 2012 when our schedule lightens up and CPR has had a full 3 yrs to establish his program?

You need to stop acting/saying we are going 0-24 in the next 2 years. Just because the teams on the schedule are "good" doesn't mean we cannot win.

May 28, 2009
Re: Size Helps

Based on what I've seen in the 3 games this year, our d-line is getting pushed around. I agree size isn't everything, but if a kid is going to play DT at 270 lbs he better be tough as nails, quick and be compact. Basically a wrestler playing DT. Iowa had that in Mitch King, but Bailey Johnson and Alburtis are a lean 268lbs.

I look at our DE's in Lyle (255lbs) and Parker(250) - that just isn't big enough. If they were dominating pash rushers it might be another thing- but their not. Against a decent rushing attack they just get over powered by 300+ lb OT. IMO the strong side DE needs to be around 270lbs to be a strong run stopper and the weakside kid can be Lyle/Parker sized.

Heck on passing downs, I'm not so sure that Lyle shouldn't move inside and bring in Maggitt or Laing.

You still havn't a clue what your talking about. They do not want kids that are 290 and above. This defense is set for 270 - 275. Do not doubt me on this. Also the defense has NOT BEEN pushed around. Every week they have become better and better. They gave up one lousy big play in the first half and they are now the worst defensive line? You also might want to check around the country the best DE are at 250 - 260.

Bringing in Guys that are to your liking is bringing in overweight slow lineman. I think CPR addressed this at his first call-in. Basicaly he said that DL are very hard to recuit for any school regardless of the school. There were 2 thing that are being done. First to recuit and develop high school kids and, second to recuit JUCOS.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
As for DL, I don't think you can count on HS kids to come in and contribute right away as Big 12 quality lineman.

By "contribute" I mean fill the third team spots, perhaps play special teams, and be ready for second team in case of an injury--after all, with Laing and Maggitt back, two jucos would fill out the top of the depth chart.

Because we have gaping holes on defense for next season--and because that schedule that youu seem to fear also means opportnity--knock one or two off, and the program takes immense steps ahead.

You need to stop acting/saying we are going 0-24 in the next 2 years. Just because the teams on the schedule are "good" doesn't mean we cannot win.
Especially combined with all of the offensive returnees that we'll have. :yes:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
For what its worth I was listening to Kent State announcers on internet and they said their receiver got by with a major push offf on the second touchdown.

By the way they were probalby the worst announcers I've every heard. It was comical when DB Jeremy Reeves #5 made a tackle in the second half. They thought it was Money Reynolds (also #5) and they went on and on about how talented he must be to make the transistion from Juco QB to defensive player. They they finally realized we have another #5 on defense. bad radio!!

Schroed

Apr 10, 2006
if you re-watch the kent state game, you'll notice Frere being very active on the d-line. he didnt have many tackles but he did disrupt a lot of plays that resulted in big stops

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron