RECRUITING: Josh Knipfel commits

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Not to defend Chizik, but isn't it a contradiction to say Chizik left ISU "high and dry", but Rhoads came in and won with his players?

I don't think so. I think what you're suggesting is that Chizik left the right pieces in place? Sure. He had some recruiting success, but he clearly lied about being firmly entrenched. Ask the players at the time if they felt abandoned. That's why "I'm so proud to be your football coach" got so much play.

Look at the players we currently have in the NFL. Osemeli, LJ, AJK. All committed to play for Chizik (Klein was in Rhoads' first recruiting class, but he originally committed to play for Gene).

• Winner
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Article from Halsted this morning was interesting...

Here is a direct quote from Knipfel...

"“Being qualified, my coaches at Iowa Western told me I’m able to leave whenever I have the opportunity to do that. Iowa State, they’ve been talking to me since late last fall and throughout the whole year they’ve been talking to me,” Knipfel said. “They weren’t leading me on, they weren’t telling me, ‘Hey, we have a scholarship’ and then didn’t give me one. They just did a good job through the process of recruiting me. I felt comfortable the whole time talking to them and when they had a scholarship for me I was excited and then I took a visit and after the visit I just decided that’s the place I want to be.”

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
A friend of mine seen one of the Oline guys at a grad party last year and he said this staff is tons better at simplifying things and making things understandable. He said that this guy told him that he loved Rhoads but it was very confusing to on how they tought things.

FWIWI know a former player that played for the Chiz and then CPR. He said that under CPR the line calls and the blocking schemes were confusing as hell and induced a lot of unnecessary error. He loved playing for CPR and hated Chiz but preferred Gene's scheme.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
FWIWI know a former player that played for the Chiz and then CPR. He said that under CPR the line calls and the blocking schemes were confusing as hell and induced a lot of unnecessary error. He loved playing for CPR and hated Chiz but preferred Gene's scheme.
I don't think anyone would argue with this...Chiz was better with the X and O's than Rhodes, although Chiz wasn't there long enough to see long term trends. The play calling under Rhodes was often inexplicable. I've been impressed with Campbell's development process so far...and maybe the lineman are seeing the development too and making players like Knipfel commit.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Not to defend Chizik, but isn't it a contradiction to say Chizik left ISU "high and dry", but Rhoads came in and won with his players?
The Chiz could recruit but never took the ISU job seriously (hired is fishing pals)... Rhoads could coach really well but couldnt get MAC level talent to Ames (aside from a few players). Cambell appears to be the best of both coaches in bringing talent to Ames and showing the ability to coach that talent throughout the season.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
any truth to the rumors about this being a reaction to Dawson probably not being with the team next year?

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
any truth to the rumors about this being a reaction to Dawson probably not being with the team next year?

There are rumors about Dawson not making it? Why? Haven't heard anything about that.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
So Forbes isn't making it? And you don't know about Dawson?
Forbes is no longer on the team.

And yes, I have heard the swirling rumors about Dawson. From the sounds of it, even if it isn't true, Dawson isnt a game changer either way.

Given the other schools that were recruiting Knipfel, I think it's safe to say ISU would have continued to recruit him either way.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wow, possibly 0 for 2 on the OL grad transfers.... ouch. And losing Forbes too. Suddenly what looked like possibly an improved OL, might not be as improved as we hoped. Sigh.

What is it with ISU and OL? Seems we can never catch a break. That's going to really suck if our DL ends up being decent and all our skill positions on both offense and defense are as advertised, but our OL once again leads to 3-4 wins.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Wow, possibly 0 for 2 on the OL grad transfers.... ouch. And losing Forbes too. Suddenly what looked like possibly an improved OL, might not be as improved as we hoped. Sigh.

What is it with ISU and OL? Seems we can never catch a break. That's going to really suck if our DL ends up being decent and all our skill positions on both offense and defense are as advertised, but our OL once again leads to 3-4 wins.

Dawson is/was not the difference between 3-4 wins and 6-7 wins.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Dawson is/was not the difference between 3-4 wins and 6-7 wins.

I understand that, however, we've lost 3 potential guys that could have seen decent minutes in the rotation with the losses of Rodgers, Dawson, and Forbes, and we've replaced them with Knipfel, who I'm very excited about, but he can't replace 3 guys in the 2 deeps.

Every bit can help. We need good competition for these spots. Without enough good competitions going on for open spots, you can suffer. I'm not saying our OL won't be improved from last year because I think it has a decent chance of being better, but you have to have good starters with good depth behind them pushing them. I knew it would be 3-4 years before we might see that, however, I thought with the 2 grad transfers we might get to see it sooner. That's all.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I understand that, however, we've lost 3 potential guys that could have seen decent minutes in the rotation with the losses of Rodgers, Dawson, and Forbes, and we've replaced them with Knipfel, who I'm very excited about, but he can't replace 3 guys in the 2 deeps.

Every bit can help. We need good competition for these spots. Without enough good competitions going on for open spots, you can suffer. I'm not saying our OL won't be improved from last year because I think it has a decent chance of being better, but you have to have good starters with good depth behind them pushing them. I knew it would be 3-4 years before we might see that, however, I thought with the 2 grad transfers we might get to see it sooner. That's all.
Forbes was not going to be in the 2 deeps this year. He definitely had promise for a year or two down the road though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Forbes was not going to be in the 2 deeps this year. He definitely had promise for a year or two down the road though.

I just love the Cyclone optimism. Now that supposedly Rodgers and Dawson won't be here, they went from studs to bums that wouldn't have helped us any at all anyway, and Forbes wasn't going to crack the 2 deeps either.... but CW has heard rumors that Knipfel is good enough to start right away now..... that is..... until he isn't, right? If by chance he doesn't crack the 2 deeps you can count on people coming on here saying he was never going to start in year one anyway.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I just love the Cyclone optimism. Now that supposedly Rodgers and Dawson won't be here, they went from studs to bums that wouldn't have helped us any at all anyway, and Forbes wasn't going to crack the 2 deeps either.... but CW has heard rumors that Knipfel is good enough to start right away now..... that is..... until he isn't, right? If by chance he doesn't crack the 2 deeps you can count on people coming on here saying he was never going to start in year one anyway.

Meh, have faith my friend. I'm only in my 30's but it feels like an eternity since we have had a good product on the football field. It will happen. All these grad transfers don't chalk up to what they are in basketball IMO. I think we have a solid line as it sits tbh. We lose a guy to injury and we may be in trouble but that is always the case here I suppose.

To the eternanl optimism, take it from an eternal pessimist, people get tired of all the negativity after a while ;)

• Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Where did I say anywhere that Dawson or Forbes were bums?

If you have any kind of inside information you would understand that Dawson certainly had 2 deep potential, but was far from a lock to start like you are implying.

What makes you think Forbes would have been in the two deeps? It hurts for 2018 and beyond that he's gone, but he would not have played significant minutes this year. I don't think that's a stretch by any means to say that.