RECRUITING: Josh Knipfel commits

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Hope it isn't true about Dawson. Maybe he isn't an All American, but I liked the way he attacked guys and kept after them. Again, we don't want anyone at ISU that does not want to be part of what is going on. Sucks that there are so many issues at the OL, but eventually this coaching staff is going to get enough good lineman from HS end the need for grad transfers.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
So we went from rumours to he gone in a split second.

Gonna hold my pessimism until we hear something official.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Has anyone found some video highlights from his JuCo season? His Hudl highlights are marked as private.

Ben4Cy

Aug 28, 2016
Can someone elaborate more on Dawson? Is it just a change of mind or what.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
David Dawson does show up in the student directory. Even if he doesn't provide a huge impact, it would be nice to have some additional experience up front.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Forbes is no longer on the team.

And yes, I have heard the swirling rumors about Dawson. From the sounds of it, even if it isn't true, Dawson isnt a game changer either way.

Given the other schools that were recruiting Knipfel, I think it's safe to say ISU would have continued to recruit him either way.
Yeah I think Knipfel is a great get and ISU was in a a great spot being able to bring him for this year. Even if he is not ready game 1 it seems like he could be a kid that makes his way into the starting spot later in the year. He is just proof that good guys get missed in HS.

Last edited:
  • Agree

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't think Dawson was a sure fire starter either way. Maybe an early year starter until a young guy is ready so if he doesn't end up playing for ISU not a huge loss

• Agree

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Paul was the right guy at the right time considering the way Cheeze-it left us high & dry. Unfortunately Paul was winning with Chiz's players. Once they were gone, the dropoff was obvious.
Lost classes due to the conference realignment scares and pundits pretty much universally declaring the imminent demotion of ISU to scum conference status might have had a little to do with that as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Article from Halsted this morning was interesting...

Here is a direct quote from Knipfel...

"“Being qualified, my coaches at Iowa Western told me I’m able to leave whenever I have the opportunity to do that. Iowa State, they’ve been talking to me since late last fall and throughout the whole year they’ve been talking to me,” Knipfel said. “They weren’t leading me on, they weren’t telling me, ‘Hey, we have a scholarship’ and then didn’t give me one. They just did a good job through the process of recruiting me. I felt comfortable the whole time talking to them and when they had a scholarship for me I was excited and then I took a visit and after the visit I just decided that’s the place I want to be.”
Do you think Knipfel was aware of what Kirk's boy Brian said?