RECRUITING: ISU makes Prentiss Nixon's top-four, schedules official visit

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Very interesting list of schools in his final four...ISU, Loyola-Chicago, Illinois State and SMU. I see the Loyola-Chicago relevancy given their success this year and SMU with the coaching staff, but Illinois State seems to be a bit of a flyer (unless he knows folks there).

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Very interesting list of schools in his final four...ISU, Loyola-Chicago, Illinois State and SMU. I see the Loyola-Chicago relevancy given their success this year and SMU with the coaching staff, but Illinois State seems to be a bit of a flyer (unless he knows folks there).

He is from Illinois so that could be a factor.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Only Iowa State has the Larry-factor! Not sure if that is a plus or minus here.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I’m not sure many high profile schools are comfortable with the “sit 1, play 1” thing.

Remember, Liberty was in Shayok’s final list. His did include Baylor and Marquette with us and Liberty, is his suitor list “looks” better, but Marquette has been on a downward trajectory since Buzz left and every school on Nixon’s list is better than Liberty.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I’m not sure many high profile schools are comfortable with the “sit 1, play 1” thing.

Remember, Liberty was in Shayok’s final list. His did include Baylor and Marquette with us and Liberty, is his suitor list “looks” better, but Marquette has been on a downward trajectory since Buzz left and every school on Nixon’s list is better than Liberty.

Believe Liberty was included because of a special connection to the head coach there. The Liberty head coach was previously a Virginia assistant I think.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Believe Liberty was included because of a special connection to the head coach there. The Liberty head coach was previously a Virginia assistant I think.

I still think the Sit 1, Play 1 is the remaining inefficiency in the market. A lot of schools will not want to tie up a scholarship for two years for one year of play.

Shayok is going to be just as good as the best graduate transfers, however.

You should almost look at them as getting a graduate transfer for the next year and, in the meantime, they are experienced guys who will help push your team in practice and serve as a mentor and outside voice for your younger players.

I would be fine if we had 1-2 of those kinds of guys per year.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I still think the Sit 1, Play 1 is the remaining inefficiency in the market. A lot of schools will not want to tie up a scholarship for two years for one year of play.

You should almost look at them as getting a graduate transfer for the next year and, in the meantime, they are experienced guys who will help push your team in practice and serve as a mentor and outside voice for your younger players.

I agree. Just think that’s something other staffs may be struggling with wrapping their heads around.

Remember, we were ahead of the grad transfer curve. Perhaps we are ahead of the curve when it comes to “sit 1, play 1” too. Shayok may well be the case study for the rest.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Shayok should in many ways be actually better for the team than a grad transfer since he's had a year to learn the team's offensive/defensive schemes, as well as knowing how to play with the other members of the team, and they how to play with him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron