Recruiting in Midwest (Outside Iowa)

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
ISU football game results can be found on Page 4 of the Sunday sports page in the Quad City Times.

ISU can't be found in the Chicago Tribune or Daily Herald, without the use of a magnifying glass. Illini fans get disgusted by the over-reaching ND coverage in the Tribune.

These, despite the fact that ISU has large alumni bases in both areas. I've heard that more ISU grads live in the QC and Chicago areas than do Iowa grads. Others can offer supporting facts if available.

It's been this way for a long time. I know from first hand comments that ISU coaches are well aware of these situations and focus elsewhere.

I doubt Chicago but QC has a large ISU base (John Deere, Alcoa, RI Arsenal, etc). QC has no love for ISU.

SaxySteve

Nov 5, 2010
Twin Cities
In MN ISU is not mentioned at all. Anywhere. My HS had a ton of recruits go to Notre Dame because that is cream of the crop in the media up there. Ive said before I had never heard of Iowa State until I was 16. Iowa state is the closest d1 football school to the Twin Cities so it's a pipeline that we should use a lot more. There are some great lineman coming out of the western suburb high schools and great talent players from cretin derham hall.

This. I was the same way; I'm also from the twin cities, and had no idea ISU existed until my dad suggested I check it out at the end of my junior year of high school. Absolutely no exposure up there.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
...There are some great lineman coming out of the western suburb high schools and great talent players from cretin derham hall.

Just curious, has there been any top Cretin players that didn't go to either ND or Minnesota? There is a lot of talent there but I would guess that would be a tough HS coaching staff to break in to.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
The 20 football commitments hail from:

6 - Florida
6 - Texas
2 - California
2 - Iowa
2 - Illinois (inc. TE Bibbs, Chicago via Ariz Western CC)
1 - Georgia (RB Wimberly, Iowa Western CC)
1 - Wisconsin

CPR has said the emphasis on Texas, Florida and California recruiting will not change. And, why change it? There are so many high level players in those states, why would we fans believe that we can't compete with other non-Texas, non-Florida and non-California schools who work those states?

I'd rather see us work those speed states harder than upper Midwest states, where competition includes Nebraska, Ohio State, other Big11 schools, and so on. KC? With Missouri, KSU, KU, Nebraska all much closer than we are?

I like what we're doing right now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In MN ISU is not mentioned at all. Anywhere. My HS had a ton of recruits go to Notre Dame because that is cream of the crop in the media up there. Ive said before I had never heard of Iowa State until I was 16. Iowa state is the closest d1 football school to the Twin Cities so it's a pipeline that we should use a lot more. There are some great lineman coming out of the western suburb high schools and great talent players from cretin derham hall.

I don't have quite the insight that mtown does but what I've seen up here is that all people care about or talk about is the Big 10 and Notre Dame. Most people up here couldn't name half of the Big 12 schools.

As far as thatguy's comment about Misery goes, I doubt Misery will be getting many top recruits from MN and WI. They are just too Big 10 centered. Many of the top dogs want to go to Notre Dame, Wisconsin or Ohio State.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I think some of you guys are overlooking the reason behind why Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois are down. Because those midwestern players are signing with team in the south. Getting them to sign with ISU is no easy task especially when even the big10 teams can't sign their local players.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
I don't have quite the insight that mtown does but what I've seen up here is that all people care about or talk about is the Big 10 and Notre Dame. Most people up here couldn't name half of the Big 12 schools.

As far as thatguy's comment about Misery goes, I doubt Misery will be getting many top recruits from MN and WI. They are just too Big 10 centered. Many of the top dogs want to go to Notre Dame, Wisconsin or Ohio State.

This. I work in southern Minnesota and even down here they don't know who is in the big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron