Recruiting impact

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Perhaps the most significant outcome last night was the impact on recruiting. I see we picked up a pretty solid looking 3* OL who had a good list of offers. It's wonderful to see the impact that obviously superior coaching can have on recruiting. Now if we can just land a couple of DLs.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Sad truth is we are going to have to take some chances on the DL prospects and hope we can develop them into great players. The kid in Ankeny is a prime example.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The DL

The coaching staff did a great job last night with the defense unit. I have been pretty consistent saying we need to bring in 3-4 JUCO DL and 3-4 HS DL prospects this fall.

I still think we need the numbers, but after seeing our play the last couple weeks, the staff may feel our best hope is to develop the kids on campus. IMO it still makes sense to bring in a couple JUCO kids- I'd love a 300+lb run stopper and a strong side DE in the 260/270lb range.

Bailey Johnson moving to NG seemed like a great move- he's quicker than Nate and his quickness will give the center something to think about. If Ruempolhamer and Alburitis hit the weight room hard in the off season they could be solid on the interior. Add to that Mansfield, Black and Laing. The later 2 might be in the dog house, but I hope they can have an impact with a strong off season. I also like the idea of Mansfield (a former wrestler) in the middle. If he can get up to the 270/280 range- he might be a solid interior player.

That would give another year for McDonough, Moore and Woods to develop and contribute big minutes in 2011.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Anybody have the complete list of who visited this past weekend? Based on what I've heard/read, the recruits were all pretty impressed with what they saw.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Maggitt was running around the Baylor LT everyplay to end that game. I still think he could end up being a very good DE

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Perhaps the most significant outcome last night was the impact on recruiting. I see we picked up a pretty solid looking 3* OL who had a good list of offers. It's wonderful to see the impact that obviously superior coaching can have on recruiting. Now if we can just land a couple of DLs.

No doubt this was a big weekend for our recruiting. We clearly got one commitment but we also impressed the others that were here. We had 8 official visitors all of which we are really big on. In my eyes the two biggest visitors were Jeremiah George and Floyd Mattison both linebackers. Here's some links...if we land both of these guys consider it huge.

Floyd Mattison
Floyd Mattison is a Freak of a Physical Specimen!

Floyd Mattison - Yahoo! Sports

Jeremiah George
Jeremiah George - Yahoo! Sports

Jeremiah George's Page - National Underclassmen Combine Football Network

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We are getting some seriously awesome looks.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
No doubt this was a big weekend for our recruiting. We clearly got one commitment but we also impressed the others that were here. We had 8 official visitors all of which we are really big on. In my eyes the two biggest visitors were Jeremiah George and Floyd Mattison both linebackers. Here's some links...if we land both of these guys consider it huge.

Floyd Mattison
Floyd Mattison is a Freak of a Physical Specimen!

Floyd Mattison - Yahoo! Sports

Jeremiah George
Jeremiah George - Yahoo! Sports

Jeremiah George's Page - National Underclassmen Combine Football Network

I would love to see us close the deal with those two. They would definitely improve the team's speed.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Sad truth is we are going to have to take some chances on the DL prospects and hope we can develop them into great players. The kid in Ankeny is a prime example.

To reflect though, lets look at our DC and consider his past Development projects:

This is what he started with...
George Selvie - Yahoo! Sports

This is what he is now....
http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=216901

To me, our staff is in place and i feel more then comfortable when i hear someone say "We have to develop players" i could not make that same statement a year ago.....

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Do they let these guys ride w/ the team to the stadium? I assume these are the guys that got out of the buses for the spirit walk. A very athletic looking group that had some type of pass hanging around their necks. Very impressive from the curb anyway.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I know this has been talked about many times on here but do we realistically have a player that could switch from OL to DL??? Somebody that is currently on the roster, not a potential recruit.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
I know this has been talked about many times on here but do we realistically have a player that could switch from OL to DL??? Somebody that is currently on the roster, not a potential recruit.

not sure if this is what you're looking for but Aaron Moore was recruited as an OL but I'm pretty sure we're going to use him on the DL.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
To reflect though, lets look at our DC and consider his past Development projects:

This is what he started with...
George Selvie - Yahoo! Sports

This is what he is now....
http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=216901

To me, our staff is in place and i feel more then comfortable when i hear someone say "We have to develop players" i could not make that same statement a year ago.....

Ah my favorite thing that ISU fans do. A coach did it at a prior school and thus is going to do it here. I too hope this is true!

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I hope we can find a juco guy or somebody to clog the middle on the DL. As for the LB recruits, I'm very happy that we have Knott and Klein that have size with potential guys like George and Mattison bringing speed on the outside.

PS---How about the year Fred Garrin is having. Probably the biggest bright spot of the team so far this year.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I hope we can find a juco guy or somebody to clog the middle on the DL. As for the LB recruits, I'm very happy that we have Knott and Klein that have size with potential guys like George and Mattison bringing speed on the outside.

PS---How about the year Fred Garrin is having. Probably the biggest bright spot of the team so far this year.

I'm more worried about the DE position then the DT position to be honest but I wouldn't mind a solid DT coming in like Rubin a couple years back.

Also I don't know if anybody else saw this but our LB commit Hubert just rose to a 3 star and ranked as the 30 something best MLB in the country

Reactions: mizouse87

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron