Recruit List (Online Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
No. Look at the Final Four. Those teams are almost always dominated by squads that have very good front courts in addition to strong back courts.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, however I would like to point out that Teague had a really good game against us. If not for him (stepping up) as a whole throughout the year, UK would not have had the year they did. PG was a question mark for them last fall, but not in March.

Now, that said, I'm with you in that championship teams will rarely be as unbalanced as Missouri. I thought they would go farther than they did (obviously) but never felt they could win it all since they had a tendency to get severely out-rebounded some games. If you're not shooting ~45% or better, you better be be able to grab some boards. Championship teams have great front and backcourts.

Therefore want Fred to recruit great payers all the way around, but I think I'd give the edge to the guards.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
No. Guards win championships.

No, you have to be great both defensively and offensively to win championships, and guard heavy teams just aren't usually good enough defensively to win. Mizzou was the #1 offensive team in the country last year, so trying to replicate their style and only ending up as a great, but not superior, offensive team is a good recipe for the NIT.

I'm sure the coaches are looking for height, but it's just harder to identify the guys that are going to be good Big 12 players. If the HS route fails, there's the Juco and transfer routes. There's no reason to panic with your schollys when you have Gibson and Niang.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
If we're getting very talented guards it's just going to be a matter of time before we get talented big men. Talented 6'9 basketball players aren't easy to find and getting then to commit is that much harder. We have Ejim for another year after this one, to go along with Percy and Niang for the future. All it takes is one talented big guy in 2013 or more likely 2014 and we'll be solid. Plus Freddy is a guard mastermind so if we are a little short at the 4 or 5 he'll be able to make up for it in other ways

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
ISU one of '13 EC Mathews (Detroit Romulus) Top 4 along with Iowa, Indiana, and Minnesota.

Matthews is a top 100 do-it-all guard. At 6'-4", I've seen him listed as a PG, SG, and a wing (as in SF). Likely a combo/ SG at the next level. He's in Vegas right now at the Lebron camp with teammate (another ISU interest) Wes Clark. Both kids have been getting some rave reviews from scouts on twitter. There are a LOT of schools chasing Mathews - so I'm a bit surprised to see him list us as a top school. But maybe t shouldn't be surprising with the Clyburn connection. Anywho, cool news.

Here is the article from XOFan (Van Coleman)

http://xofan.com/basketball-2/big-t...ools-at-top-of-his-list/#.T_pOv99PFdU.twitter

Last edited:

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I've said this before, but I think Fred has more of a relation to guards as he was one and with DG's improvement he has some credit for convincing guards to commit. Royce was an extremity when it comes to big men. Fred has proven how he can make guards successful, after all DG turned into an animal his senior year and Christopherson ended with the best career 3 point percentage. It might be hard to credit Fred with Scotty's marks but DG's improvement was definitely coaching. Some good bigs just need to give Fred the chance to prove he can coach any position.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
ISU one of '13 EC Mathews (Detroit Romulus) Top 4 along with Iowa, Indiana, and Minnesota.

Matthews is a top 100 do-it-all guard. At 6'-4", I've seen him listed as a PG, SG, and a wing (as in SF). Likely a combo/ SG at the next level. He's in Vegas right now at the Lebron camp with teammate (another ISU interest) Wes Clark. Both kids have been getting some rave reviews from scouts on twitter. There are a LOT of schools chasing Mathews - so I'm a bit surprised to see him list us as a top school. But maybe t shouldn't be surprising with the Clyburn connection. Anywho, cool news.

Here is the article from XOFan (Van Coleman)

XOFan – E.C. Matthews has four schools at top of his list

I also just read that he grew three inches (6'1" to 6'4") from his freshman to sophmore year. I'd say it is safe to assume that he probably will grow some more prior to ariving on campus. So that could be our future prototypical SF. Although some could argue 6'4" is already big enough to play the 3.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I've said this before, but I think Fred has more of a relation to guards as he was one and with DG's improvement he has some credit for convincing guards to commit. Royce was an extremity when it comes to big men. Fred has proven how he can make guards successful, after all DG turned into an animal his senior year and Christopherson ended with the best career 3 point percentage. It might be hard to credit Fred with Scotty's marks but DG's improvement was definitely coaching. Some good bigs just need to give Fred the chance to prove he can coach any position.

I agree... We already have seen improvement in Ejim and Percy already. Add Niang and hopefully some additional improvement from Booker at the post this year. That should help prove that Fred and Staff can utilize Bigs and thus generate increased interests from recruits.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Does anyone have any details on Javion Ogunyemi? I know that Matt A is heading up his recruitment and we offered a scholly right away- yet we are still his only offer (according to rivals) and there hasn't been any news/articles about him since 2011. I like that he has interest from ACC schools like Clemson and V Tech- both known for their up-tempo style and Syracuse is also interested (once again, going off of rivals), but he seems to have fallen off the map for over a year. He seems to fit our need for depth at forward, although I don't know if he is starter material. Does anyone have any details on this kid?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Are there any AAU events in Indy this week?

Nevermind, it appears Coach Mann is going to the Adidas Invitation that starts tomorrow.

Last edited:

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
Does anyone have any details on Javion Ogunyemi? I know that Matt A is heading up his recruitment and we offered a scholly right away- yet we are still his only offer (according to rivals) and there hasn't been any news/articles about him since 2011. I like that he has interest from ACC schools like Clemson and V Tech- both known for their up-tempo style and Syracuse is also interested (once again, going off of rivals), but he seems to have fallen off the map for over a year. He seems to fit our need for depth at forward, although I don't know if he is starter material. Does anyone have any details on this kid?

Ogunyemi suffered a bad injury (knee or ankle) and was out most of the spring. He is working his way back and was 80% last I heard in mid-June, so we may hear more of him for this July live period as he plays more and coaches can watch him again.

I haven't seen any recruiting news on him though...

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Interesting. I googled him and he's listed anywhere from 6'6" to 6'9". Doesn't seem to be a lot of info on him, but he averaged 14 ppg and 12 rpg

isualum87

Jul 9, 2012
so with fred recruiting all of these guards, can we assume he is going to have a 5 guard lineup in the future. haha

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Per their own tweets, sounds like Mann is on the way to Indy for the Adidas Invitational, and Abdelmassih is on the way to Philadelphia for the Reebok Breakout Challenge. More about specific teams/ players later, unless someone want to research and post that before I get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron