Recommended Handgun Retailers - Des Moines

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Spend $6 and go to the next gun show here in town. They have one about once a month, it seems like. Much better selection and you might be able to find what you are looking for at a cheaper price, used.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/iowa_gun_shows.shtml

However, if you are looking for personal service after the sale, and even firearms education, check out http://www.hansenarms.com/

He's a friend of mine and former co-worker. He's not looking to make a huge profit off of sales, just sell enough to keep his FFL.

The last gun show I went to at Adventureland was so packed it was darn near impossible to look at things. Maybe the fairgrounds is better.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
The last gun show I went to at Adventureland was so packed it was darn near impossible to look at things. Maybe the fairgrounds is better.
Fairgrounds shows are much better. More vendors and more space to move. I don't know why they try and cram everything into that little room at Adventureland.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
JT Guns is the shop on Merle Hay. Small place but good prices. Can work a deal on something they have in stock, especially if paying cash. I personally wasn't impressed with JLM in Urbandale.

For big box stores, Scheels is the most expensive. Sportsman's Warehouse has the lowest prices. Bass Pro is in the middle. Gander Mountain in Cedar Rapids has good prices but is in Cedar Rapids.

Some of those FFL guys will also order firearms. If you find a price online, give one a call and ask if they can beat it. A lot of times they can. I have bought a couple that way.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
JT Guns is the shop on Merle Hay. Small place but good prices. Can work a deal on something they have in stock, especially if paying cash. I personally wasn't impressed with JLM in Urbandale.

For big box stores, Scheels is the most expensive. Sportsman's Warehouse has the lowest prices. Bass Pro is in the middle. Gander Mountain in Cedar Rapids has good prices but is in Cedar Rapids.

Some of those FFL guys will also order firearms. If you find a price online, give one a call and ask if they can beat it. A lot of times they can. I have bought a couple that way.

In my experience, Gander is high. Thinking back though, the last time I was in a Gander Mountain was probably 2009.

Help Support Us

Become a patron