Recommended Handgun Retailers - Des Moines

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Thinking about buying a handgun and wanted to know what retailers you all can recommend in the Des Moines metro area.

Wasn't sure if there were some good smaller gun shops around or if everyone shops at the big retail stores?

(Not sure if the size is relevant, but I am thinking about a .45 semi-auto. I used to have a 9MM but sold it. I am also considering a .40)

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
There's a gunshop at 70th and Douglas that advertises on the radio, JLM Gun Shoppe, I believe. Having grown up working at our family owned gun shop in Dubuque, I will tell you that service after the sale is a very important aspect of gun purchase.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've found most of the Scheels guys pretty knowledgeable. At one time there was a retired DM detective/cop that was a gunsmith there.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I've found most of the Scheels guys pretty knowledgeable. At one time there was a retired DM detective/cop that was a gunsmith there.

scheels is pretty high priced from what Ive seen. I think its more aimed at the "no nothings" or city type people. But that might be just the ones ive been to.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
There's a gunshop at 70th and Douglas that advertises on the radio, JLM Gun Shoppe, I believe. Having grown up working at our family owned gun shop in Dubuque, I will tell you that service after the sale is a very important aspect of gun purchase.

Eh, I bought my handgun online ~5 years ago & haven't needed any service after the sale. 20% savings was definitely worth it for me.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Eh, I bought my handgun online ~5 years ago & haven't needed any service after the sale. 20% savings was definitely worth it for me.

Did you have your own FFL, or did you work through a local dealer? I wasn't sure if most local dealers are cool with receiving a gun on behalf of a customer or if they are ****** you didn't buy it from them?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Just bought one from Bass Pro about a month ago. I knew what I wanted going in but the gentlemen that sold it to me seemed fairly knowledgeable. Also had a pile of gift cards saved up so it was an easy decision for me where to go.

Advantage of the big stores is that they carry models that lots of the smaller shops don't. I couldn't find many that carried Beretta handguns, which is what I purchased.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
No big reason for the increase. Have shot my Dad's .357 revolver quite a bit and was just thinking something more powerful than my old 9MM.

Desert Eagle. Point five-oh.

Actually saw some guy fire one of those next to me at one of the ranges down here. Not a gun I would purchase for my own use. And judging by that guy's reaction, he probably regretted purchasing it for himself.

I'm looking at getting a new gun myself. Right now I've got a S&W M&P in 9mm. It doesn't have an external safety (Glock-style trigger), which didn't bother me when I got it, but now that I have a kid, I want the external safety.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Did you have your own FFL, or did you work through a local dealer? I wasn't sure if most local dealers are cool with receiving a gun on behalf of a customer or if they are ****** you didn't buy it from them?

I work with several guys who have ordered guns and had them delivered to the FFL. The guy with the FFL charges a fee for his services, so it's not too much of a biggie to him.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I work with several guys who have ordered guns and had them delivered to the FFL. The guy with the FFL charges a fee for his services, so it's not too much of a biggie to him.

Yeah, the guy I worked with didn't even sell guns, just has his FFL & charges $20 to receive it. Went & picked it up at his house where he checked my permit to carry & filled out the paperwork.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

When you buy online typically they will give you a list of FFL's close to you. When I bought a gun online I first called Jax to see if they could meet the price, and they said no, then I asked if I could ship it to them and have them file the FFL paperwork and they said yes ($20).

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

Central Range? I bought my 12 gauge there.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Sportsman's Warehouse in Ankeny. I looked several places before purchasing (to include online) and their prices beat them all. Really knowledgeable people, too.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
You can get some deals online if you're ready to buy. Bought a Sig Sauer P229 9mm two-tone online for $700 plus 2 mags for $25/ea. last summer. MSRP on that is $1100+. All you have to do is find a FFL with a reasonable transfer fee. My local Ace hardware was $10 for fee and $10 for BC.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I also like Sportsman's in Ankeny. They have a really good selection, and very knowledge staff.

JLM on 70th and Douglas had about 6 guns in stock when I was there. Admittedly, I haven't been there in a while.

There's another shop on Merle Hay (~Urbandale). It's kinda small but seemed okay. It's been really crowed the few times I've swung in.

Scheels is Scheels. Good selection, really high prices.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Spend $6 and go to the next gun show here in town. They have one about once a month, it seems like. Much better selection and you might be able to find what you are looking for at a cheaper price, used.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/iowa_gun_shows.shtml

However, if you are looking for personal service after the sale, and even firearms education, check out http://www.hansenarms.com/

He's a friend of mine and former co-worker. He's not looking to make a huge profit off of sales, just sell enough to keep his FFL.

Last edited: