Reasonable Football Expectations

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think that if we can develop some solid quarterback play that this team is capable (key word being capable, not will) of 7 wins. If not, I'm going with 4-5 wins.

IMO, it is the OL and the LB units that need to develop and play well. Without the OL playing at least decent, then Lanning might struggle even if he has improved. LB's might be our Achilles heel. And DE's need to step up as well. I do have faith in this coaching staff.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Not really, no. It'd be a bad start. But if you're making this game a must win, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. UNI is a good program that in recent history has given ISU problems. A loss would hurt but it wouldn't be all that surprising, and suggesting that it would bury the staff and set the program back three years is overstating things. Give the guy at least a year to build the program.

Sorry bud, but every game is a must win

CyTexMex

Jan 25, 2016
The big question is the offensive line. If they can perform, we are going to be a very dangerous team.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Lots of holes to fill on the lines and in the LB corps. We'll see who steps up, maybe there's a hidden gem or two. Better coaching and player development will probably get us 4 wins this year. It will help a lot to have an offensive minded Head Coach who can keep his composure on the sideline and keeps his head into the game. It will also make a difference that that staff as a whole likes each other and are all pulling in the same direction.

The best part of Season 1 of the Campbell era will be looking like a real football team more often than not. While I would like to see a bowl game, I will be satisfied with progress away from the cr@p we have seen in recent seasons. Recruit, retain and develop strategy will pay dividends in the future. Just enjoy better football in 2016.