Really good article on TJ from The Athletic

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I feel a little vindicated reading this. I've gotten in to multiple arguments with other Cyclone fans who bitched about Pollard hiring Prohm rather than TJ and my argument has always been that he needed time to grow before taking over at ISU. Nice to read that Pollard had the same idea.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Great insights into TJ. I don't think the guy repeats a mistake. He's always learning, always focused. And the gratitude is a big part also. You can easily understand why he is able to get his teams to play so hard.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I can confirm this worked like a charm. Thank you!

Pro tip: be sure to select print before you scroll down.
I did:

- Selected print
- Opened in reader mode
- It asked me to highlight the text that I wanted to read
- As soon as I scrolled down, the subscribe thing popped up

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I did:

- Selected print
- Opened in reader mode
This one just opened fine for me and let me read.. not sure why.

For paywalls, if you have a 2 second gap before the paywall comes up i have had a lot of success just doing control + A to highlight everything and control C to copy super quick before it all comes up. Then i just paste into word :)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
I did:

- Selected print
- Opened in reader mode
-Open article link in new tab
-Hit CTRL+P or Promptly go to browser print(Chrome has 3 dots, then scroll to print)
-Select "Save to PDF" in the dropdown where you would select your printer
-Hit "Save" at the bottom
-Select destination for article PDF
-Go to selected destination folder and double click on saved Athletic article

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Google 12ft and paste the link to the article on that web page.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I did:

- Selected print
- Opened in reader mode
If you've already added the reader view extension and you gave the extension access to the site, I don't know what else to do other than have Coach Hines share it with you.

Reactions: riceville98

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
What a great article. Two things came to my mind as I read it.

First, TJ is extremely humble and he passes that humility onto his players. That's what makes us so successful. We know we have to outwork everyone else and that is incredibly evident in the way we play. Every opposing coach comments on how hard our guys play and how much our guys play for each other. If only there were ways to accurately measure effort and unselfishness, I have absolutely no doubt ISU would rank first in the nation in both categories.

The second thing that struck me is how regimented and disciplined every day is for our players. Many (or most?) of today's top athletes would not chose to be part of such a challenging environment. So I understand what TJ means when he says fit is the first thing he looks at when deciding which players to recruit.

What a blessing TJ has been to Iowa State University.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
This one just opened fine for me and let me read.. not sure why.

For paywalls, if you have a 2 second gap before the paywall comes up i have had a lot of success just doing control + A to highlight everything and control C to copy super quick before it all comes up. Then i just paste into word :)
That worked like a charm. Thanks. That article was AWESOME

What a great leader we have for our young men!! Give him a lifetime contract!!

and just at the right time too. As mush as it hurt, We needed Prohm before Otz or he wouldn't have been as successful here

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Unfortunately, I let my subscription to The Atlantic expire, so I was only able to read the first part. Have to say the regimentation of so many little things gave me vibes of Chizik and Prohm. Please help me get that thought out of my mind.
Turn on 'Reader View'. Worth the 5 minutes to discover how. Of course, after reading your comment I saw others, basically, say the same. 'Reader View' is simply a format that tries to eliminate ads. It does a very good job at it. Proper HTML allows a media alternative to do this. The Atlantic, for the most part, does it well. Which is why I was able to read the article in its entirety without a subscription.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Great article.

I think this should settle some oft-repeated discussion on decisions made back in 2015.

It goes on further, but it seems like everything worked out. TJ is clearly better than Prohm now, and may have even been then, but he (and we) benefitted from him having the chance to get mistakes out of the way somewhere else. And let's be honest, following Hoiberg, if he had made those mistakes here the fan base would have eaten him alive given his lack of prior head coaching experience.

Plus when being the guy to follow Hoiberg and the veteran team, the prime directive of the new coach that first year was to not rock the boat too much.

TJ had a good relationship with those guys and I think would’ve been fine, but would he still be able to remake the program in his identity? I don’t see the aggressive focus on defense working with that group.