Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Wilner is tweeting this now and it makes sense. Is killing the Pac 10 by adding the AZ schools, Utah and CO worth taking a smaller payout? Because those schools certainly don't add any money to the pot.

In this case, killing the Pac 10 in exchange for some stability probably is worth a smaller payout is my guess.
It might mean more money simply because there is one less conference, meaning one less place for these people to get content. Meaning they will increase their bid to secure that content.....hopefully.

A network like CBS or NBC is soon to be completely out of CFB, and streamers like Amazon and Apple want in. Meaning if there is no PAC their is one less conference for them to make a deal with. Making it a greater need to bid to get that content.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Time to tax it or require it go to reduce tuition or general scholarship funds.
You know neither one of those things is happening. They'll just start tearing down an rebuilding facilities that are a decade old and double what they're paying coaches.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't feel we will ever see Super Leagues after Big10 & SEC dump teams. No way middling SEC or Big10 teams want to be bottom feeders in a Super League.

The next push by elites will be uneven revenue sharing. For example Tha Ohio State will gladly take $150M annually. AND Iowa, Indiana, Illinois will thankfully take $75M annually to be part of the League.

I think you're missing one point - in a league filled with OSU, UofM, Penn St, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Alabama, Texas, OU, etc... someone has to lose. You think any of these schools are going to be content with possibly going 0-12 just because they're getting paid? These super leagues are going to have no choice but to pay schools to be bottom feeders so these big name schools can compete for championships every year.

I agree that eventually unequal revenue sharing may be implemented because these blue bloods aren't going to want to share their riches with the schools that they're paying to lose, but this is also how the house of cards may collapse upon itself - if what the bottom feeders are paid to lose is equivalent to what those in the second tier are paid. That will create all kinds of instability in the super league.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
My favorite part of the new Big Ten (if that $100M per is accurate) is how these schools will still justify ticket price increases every year and selling $18 beers.

Reactions: Kinch and 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
How is your baseball team doing?
You want to go back a couple decades huh. But you all claim to be high and mighty over us, except we have consistently been in the black for years.

The hawks not so much.

You dont see me on a hawk page today though because I feel threatened, but here you are. So...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You want to go back a couple decades huh. But you all claim to be high and mighty over us, except we have consistently been in the black for years.

The hawks not so much.

You dont see me on a hawk page today though because I feel threatened, but here you are. So...
Hawkeye AD a quarter billion in the hole. They need this.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

The hawks not so much.

Should we bring up the fact that Iowas chances of ever making a conference title game and therefore a playoff just decreased exponentially?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Im not sure they will have enough money left for the next tier. They want to concentrate all the cash in their cash cows. This is why Fox is essentially killing the PAC to take what they pay there and dump it in the B1G, they want the big names in one spot. They will leave the Big 12 to CBS/Paramount or Apple, Amazon etc.

This also seems like a possible outcome here. People keep talking about the next TV deal and whether the Pac schools add value to what we're currently getting. But the delineation between the top tier and second tier of CFB is even sharper than it was before. Seems possible the market's been reset and we won't get the kind of deal we think we will.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yes, the PAC would love to take Okie State. But no team in their right mind is leaving the Big 12 for the PAC right now. PAC was in terrible shape before losing their biggest brand and another one of their better brands. And no one thinks Oregon is locked in in the PAC.

PAC's as good as dead. People that think the PAC is going to poach the Big 12 are just showing how clueless they are about this topic.

I don't think the PAC is dead; they're just the new MWC.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Should we bring up the fact that Iowas chances of ever making a conference title game and therefore a playoff just decreased exponentially?
There hasnt been a Big 10 Baseball champion since the 1960s, we had to play consistent Southern Teams and NCAA champions constantly EVERY YEAR, EVERY GAME. But they want to talk Baseball.......clueless.

Let them play south teams every game, every season. We will see how long they last.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I can only imagine what their new contract would be valued at with ND and Oregon included.

And Iowa would be flush with cash..... and a half full stadium when they finish every year under .500.

Is that worth it to Iowa fans? Tons of money, but a .500 team that nobody really wants to go watch any more.

• Winner
Reactions: SolarGarlic

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And Iowa would be flush with cash..... and a half full stadium when they finish every year under .500.

Is that worth it to Iowa fans? Tons of money, but a .500 team that nobody really wants to go watch any more.
They will just shrink their stadium again like they did a few years ago.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Nothing, Just be B1G against someone else. Or a Random NY6 draw. Like the Fiesta. My guess if the PAC does completely Die. The Rose will have a new Tie between the B1G and someone else, like the Big 12 or ACC.

IMO the Rose Bowl's days were numbered prior to USC & UCLA's departure.

By 2026 there will be an 8 or 12 team playoff and that will bring an end to the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta Bowls. Those sites will become host locations for the 7 games with an 8 or 12 team playoff. With a 12 team playoff my assumption is the first round games would be at higher seed campus sites or maybe a regional site (e.g. US Bank, Lucas Oil, Levi's, etc. stadiums.

I just don't see the Rose Bowl (or any NY6 Bowls) having the same luster with lets say the 4th place Big10 team against the 3rd Place ACC team.