Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
While I get what you are saying, I just disagree with the whole non Football additions.

I just dont like the idea of non football adds.

One would argue UConns basketball brings more than either of those, and we could add them as a football school too even though the football is not their value or strength.
There is mutual interest between Gonzaga and the big 12. It just seems to make numbers sense to add 2 instead of 1 non football school.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Add more old Big East and Duke?

UConn, Syracuse, Duke, Pitt, Louisville

And whichever two schools don’t make BIG or SEC of VT, NCState, Miami, GT

#24 could be ACC if ND joins BIG instead of an ACC

Also, acquiring some Big East would be good for preventing P2 from aligning with them on basketball against the Big 12

Nova, St John’s, Georgetown, Gonzaga would be my pick, hopefully hurting Creighton and Marquette in recruiting against Big 12

24+4 basketball, with a 28 game conference schedule in basketball
tell the Big 2 they can't participate in the post season tournament, they will have to have their own tournament. Or, their schools get less payout in basketball. Do to them what they do to everyone in football.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
tell the Big 2 they can't participate in the post season tournament, they will have to have their own tournament. Or, their schools get less payout in basketball. Do to them what they do to everyone in football.
Maybe limit them to 3-4 bids, max, and at least 1 of them has to go to the play-in-game.

Reactions: cayin

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I see this mentioned a lot but….would it make that big of a difference money-wise for the P2?

I feel like the reaction you’d get from the P2 is “ok”. I could totally be misunderstanding how the payouts work.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Extremely strong disagree. The leagues have yet to add a single team that doesn’t fit their overall plan and mission. Fox could yell all they want about ASU and they would get a hard no from the presidents who make the decisions.
I feel like you are couching your argument with "have yet to add". When my point is clearly looking forward.

Baby steps. It seems unrealistic the Big10 is just going to add 4 west coast schools. At some point, the TV people and Big10 Presidents/AD's will look to add more schools west of Lincoln. Especially if the SEC shows interest.

I prefaced my use of ASU with "for example". What about Stanford? If FOX was willing to pay the going rate to add Stanford (Cal, ASU, UU, etc.), would the Presidents say "NO"? Doubt it.

Do you really think the Presidents preferred to add Oregon over Stanford or Cal? Of course not. Oregon was added because the TV folks were willing to pay $30M today and WILL step up and pay $75M+ for Oregon (and Washington) around 2030.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I feel like you are couching your argument with "have yet to add". When my point is clearly looking forward.

Baby steps. It seems unrealistic the Big10 is just going to add 4 west coast schools. At some point, the TV people and Big10 Presidents/AD's will look to add more schools west of Lincoln. Especially if the SEC shows interest.

I prefaced my use of ASU with "for example". What about Stanford? If FOX was willing to pay the going rate to add Stanford (Cal, ASU, UU, etc.), would the Presidents say "NO"? Doubt it.

Do you really think the Presidents preferred to add Oregon over Stanford or Cal? Of course not. Oregon was added because the TV folks were willing to pay $30M today and WILL step up and pay $75M+ for Oregon (and Washington) around 2030.
Why are they going to want more west schools? We just saw they don’t have a ton of value if any. That just doesn’t make any sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: isucy86

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Won’t work

They’ll have most of the big brands in basketball too. Leverage basketball, and they’ll take KU Duke AZ and separate with Big East and basketball only leagues. Their tournament will make way more than Big 12 and G5

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why are they going to want more west schools? We just saw they don’t have a ton of value if any. That just doesn’t make any sense.
You keep focusing on 2024. But what about 2030 or 2036? At some point, if Big10 Presidents and AD's want their media revenue to continue to grow, they will need to grow visibility in large incremental media markets.

If the Big10 doesn't find value in large west coast media markets, the SEC will. It not about ASU or Cal or Utah fans watching only their games. It's about Big10 having visibility in top 20 media markets vs. the SEC owning those markets. As live sports moves to a subscription based model, those platforms will want eyeballs. And not just CFB fans, but eyeballs for the other sport properties they purchase whether it be the NFL, WWE or UEFA.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You keep focusing on 2024. But what about 2030 or 2036? At some point, if Big10 Presidents and AD's want their media revenue to continue to grow, they will need to grow visibility in large incremental media markets.

If the Big10 doesn't find value in large west coast media markets, the SEC will. It not about ASU or Cal or Utah fans watching only their games. It's about Big10 having visibility in top 20 media markets vs. the SEC owning those markets. As live sports moves to a subscription based model, those platforms will want eyeballs. And not just CFB fans, but eyeballs for the other sport properties they purchase whether it be the NFL, WWE or UEFA.
Yeah but you don’t need those markets to have schools in them to capture the market. Plus you never have because they don’t watch college sports. That’s why the PAC failed, they aren’t going to be any more valuable a decade from now. Adding more schools like that just dilutes the brand.

Your not looking far enough in the future, live sports will continue to carry a lot of weight due to them being one of the few events that you have to watch live and can sell ads for. That’s not going anywhere anytime soon and the next media deal might not even be on networks.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yeah but you don’t need those markets to have schools in them to capture the market. Plus you never have because they don’t watch college sports. That’s why the PAC failed, they aren’t going to be any more valuable a decade from now. Adding more schools like that just dilutes the brand.

Your not looking far enough in the future, live sports will continue to carry a lot of weight due to them being one of the few events that you have to watch live and can sell ads for. That’s not going anywhere anytime soon and the next media deal might not even be on networks.
I'm not looking far enough in the future? Your the person who keeps referencing past or existing sport media conditions.

Why did the Big 10 add Rutgers? Was it a mistake for the Big10? No it made 100% sense based on the cable carriage model at the time and that continues today.

But the live sport model is going to change. Fans are going to need to pay. Disney/ESPN is projected to launch its direct to consumer (DTC) platform/app in Fall 2025. Disney, FOX and Warner Brothers are scheduled to launch a DTC sports platform this fall. It's impact will probably be gradual, but over the next decade access to live sports will change.

And legacy providers like FUBOTV know it's a threat to existing platforms.

Disney/FOX/Warner Platform

FUBO Lawsuit

But like I commented in my prior post, the trend for live sports on subscription platforms will only continue to grow. We are seeing that with the Big10's deal with NBC/Peacock. But those platforms are focused on more than just College Football, they are focused on more than just Live Sports. They want to be a 1 stop shop for TV eyes. Why? Because like you said, there's a good chance an Amazon, Apple or Netflix might enter the live sport marketplace when the next media deals are done.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm not looking far enough in the future? Your the person who keeps referencing past or existing sport media conditions.

Why did the Big 10 add Rutgers? Was it a mistake for the Big10? No it made 100% sense based on the cable carriage model at the time and that continues today.

But the live sport model is going to change. Fans are going to need to pay. Disney/ESPN is projected to launch its direct to consumer (DTC) platform/app in Fall 2025. Disney, FOX and Warner Brothers are scheduled to launch a DTC sports platform this fall. It's impact will probably be gradual, but over the next decade access to live sports will change.

And legacy providers like FUBOTV know it's a threat to existing platforms.

Disney/FOX/Warner Platform

FUBO Lawsuit

But like I commented in my prior post, the trend for live sports on subscription platforms will only continue to grow. We are seeing that with the Big10's deal with NBC/Peacock. But those platforms are focused on more than just College Football, they are focused on more than just Live Sports. They want to be a 1 stop shop for TV eyes. Why? Because like you said, there's a good chance an Amazon, Apple or Netflix might enter the live sport marketplace when the next media deals are done.

Aren't Apple, Amazon, and Netflix already there?

WWE is going to Netflix and I think the Tyson fight will be on there too.

MLB and the NFL are on the other two.

The content providers have gutted their cable channels. Live TV isn't worth paying for....except for sports.

I half wonder if we'll start to see a backlash really take hold and a demand for the cable bundle grow. My guess is no because there's only so many times a person can watch goddam American Pickers and Ridiculousness

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Oregon maybe but they have no choice. Washington could very well be irrelevant again after losing their coach and almost their entire team. Have to see on that one.

I’ve also been quite adamant that no school is getting cut or unequal revenue anytime soon but I know I’m not convincing anyone of that. No way to prove either side is right on it but just don’t see that happening.
You keep thinking that the have's in the B10 and SEC will never turn on the have nots, but that is foolish. You have never said why the Ohio States and Alabama's should continue to pay Indiania, NW and others the same amount of money as they are getting now? This whole thing has been over greed, but now those schools will just stop and protect the schools that are not making money?
Washington will rebuild, they have a solid brand, they will be fine. As to schools getting cut, you are correct, no one will be cut, the have schools will just leave and set up their own conference for football. They will allow those same schools to stick around for the other sports, what choice do they have. Either take the deal or they start cutting teams, better to have less than little to none.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You keep thinking that the have's in the B10 and SEC will never turn on the have nots, but that is foolish. You have never said why the Ohio States and Alabama's should continue to pay Indiania, NW and others the same amount of money as they are getting now? This whole thing has been over greed, but now those schools will just stop and protect the schools that are not making money?
Washington will rebuild, they have a solid brand, they will be fine. As to schools getting cut, you are correct, no one will be cut, the have schools will just leave and set up their own conference for football. They will allow those same schools to stick around for the other sports, what choice do they have. Either take the deal or they start cutting teams, better to have less than little to none.
For the record I’ve never said anything about what the SEC would do. But uneven revenue for the big ten isn’t happening. Neither are they kicking anyone out anytime soon.

Like I said it’s not like I can produce a contract saying they aren’t but same way you can’t prove your point. That’s why we just agree to disagree on it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Exactly.

The first argument is the top schools need the bottom to take all those losses. The problem here is every top school is convinced they will remain on top while the others will stumble.

And you are also right, they don't need to kick the little schools out. The play is just leave them behind. We saw it when the Big East was raided. We saw it when the Pac blew up. And we have all read countless scenarios about teams getting left following an ACC or B12 collapse.

• Agree

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
For the record I’ve never said anything about what the SEC would do. But uneven revenue for the big ten isn’t happening. Neither are they kicking anyone out anytime soon.

Like I said it’s not like I can produce a contract saying they aren’t but same way you can’t prove your point. That’s why we just agree to disagree on it.
So, what you are saying is the greed stops once the B10 and SEC destroy the ACC. We have to include the SEC because they and the B10 are the ones doing this to the other conferences. Now, why would it stop then and allow the weaker schools to keep getting equal money to the bigger brands? According to you, because it has never occurred before and it will not in the future. You know, most of the P12 schools thought the same thing a year or two ago, they had been a conference over a 100 years, they were all in it together. Hell, they had an agreement with the B10 and ACC to work together for the betterment of all. That all went up in smoke when USC and UCLA wanted more money, but somehow the B10 and SEC are going to be different after the ACC is destroyed and then be satisfied and sit back and collect all their media rights equally.

You are right, I cannot the future, but we can look at the past to make an educated guess of what that future looks like, and its not pretty for the Rutgers, Purdue's and NW's of the conference.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Its already happening, or dont you count that Oregon and washington are taking less.

• Agree

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Plus isn't Rutgers still not getting a full share yet either because the B1G paid off some loans for them?
Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska did not start at full shares of the media revenue, and only Nebraska is at a full share now. Rutgers and Maryland took out a loan on their future payments to either spend on the exit fees to their former conference or to use to get their athletic programs out of debt. Both Maryland and Rutgers athletic departments were being subsidized 10s of millions from their school.

As someone said, Washington and Oregon are not getting full shares next season, but USC and UCLA are, so they have unequal revenue sharing now.