Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Rather than absorbing the ACC leftovers, I think we would be better off spinning off the Eastern Big12 teams to the ACC to keep them solvent. Merge the conferences in terms of administration and under one TV deal but keep them separate in terms of competition.

But I’m not sure what to do with the new additions to the ACC. They don’t seem to belong.
I would take as many of the bball powers you can. UNC is probably not available, but Duke might be. Syracuse and LVille have good history, even if they aren't much lately. The potential is there. Build the biggest league you can, and play as many games as you can, across 4 time zones. Drive value.

You could also have a huge conference tournament that's basically a mini-NCAA. Or do something completely different and creative with it.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Is ASU or Arizona the one that had the accounting error that has put the AD under water?

ASU should be god tier in the revenue sports but just never seems to put it together, at some point they are who they are I guess.
Their president channeled Gordon P Eaton - he just didn't "like" athletics. And because of that, he let his lousy AD run it into the ground with bad hires and decisions for years.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I would take as many of the bball powers you can. UNC is probably not available, but Duke might be. Syracuse and LVille have good history, even if they aren't much lately. The potential is there. Build the biggest league you can, and play as many games as you can, across 4 time zones. Drive value.

You could also have a huge conference tournament that's basically a mini-NCAA. Or do something completely different and creative with it.
The big question for Duke, in the hypothetical but inevitable at some point destruction of the ACC, is do they even want to keep football? They could just go to the Big East for basketball, keep everything fairly local and just get out of the football rat race

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The big question for Duke, in the hypothetical but inevitable at some point destruction of the ACC, is do they even want to keep football? They could just go to the Big East for basketball, keep everything fairly local and just get out of the football rat race
I think it would be hard to walk away from the associated money and exposure. As long as you think you can get close to break even.

I also could see the Big12 and Big East joining forces with some kind of basketball-only league partnership. Toss in Gonzaga and some ACC remnants and you really DO have a league of its own.

edit- I really love "hypothetical but inevitable"

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Looking at the ACC, I think there are some distinct divisions of value in teams. Inside those divisions the schools are very similar in value, and 1 school may be more desirable to one conference than the other for 1 particular reason or another, ie. AAU, Location, Culture etc.
Here is my guess at value overall.

1. ND, grand prize, more value than any in ACC.

2. FSU
3. NC
4. Clem
These 3 are probably very close in value overall, and could be reordered depending on several factors and conferences.

5. UVA
6. Miami
7. Stan
8. NCSt
9. Vtch
Probably the next division, I doubt the SEC or B1G go below this group and really any here are probably not as likely to get in to the top 2, without significant discount.

10. Pitt
11. Louis
12. Duke
13. GT
Here is the next group of similar value, and I would doubt the B12 goes below this group unless needing 1 team, and very doubtful any here get into the top 2.

14. Syra
15. Cal
16. Wake
17. BC
18. SMU
These are Probably SOL just like OSU and WSU. Just not enough overall value.
That's pretty good list, though one could quibble about a few here and there. The only one I would point out is Stanford - they might be 7 (or higher) to the B1G, but I think they are more like 15 to everyone else.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
At this point, I would agree.

They may not want to give up their regionality in the Big East though.

Add more old Big East and Duke?

UConn, Syracuse, Duke, Pitt, Louisville

And whichever two schools don’t make BIG or SEC of VT, NCState, Miami, GT

#24 could be ACC if ND joins BIG instead of an ACC

Also, acquiring some Big East would be good for preventing P2 from aligning with them on basketball against the Big 12

Nova, St John’s, Georgetown, Gonzaga would be my pick, hopefully hurting Creighton and Marquette in recruiting against Big 12

24+4 basketball, with a 28 game conference schedule in basketball

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That's pretty good list, though one could quibble about a few here and there. The only one I would point out is Stanford - they might be 7 (or higher) to the B1G, but I think they are more like 15 to everyone else.
Yeah, Stanford is a difficult one to value. They have great academics and great overall athletics. The problem with a lot of those sports they are in, most conferences dont really care about.

Stanford because of location and viewership could drop several places. They are one of the ones I have a hard time putting in a valuation.

They for sure would be much lower for the SEC. The B1G because of their west coast teams now and the academics and overall value, including their media market (although they dont draw well in it) probably makes them more desirable. The B12 is probably somewhere in the middle, on their value.

Overall they probably are overvalued on my list, when it comes to actual desirability, but actual valuation is probably somewhat higher. They probably should be down with Cal, or close to them.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don't think there's an obsession with a particular number. I don't think the SEC will feel compelled to have 20 teams just because the Big 10 does. Especially if they aren't financially additive, and I don't think that any of the 4 you listed would be financially additive to the SEC.

The Big 10 is saddled with a ton of dead weight. Out of that hypothetical 20, at least 12 are more akin to the Big 12/ACC level than they are the top end of the Big 10. The SEC is less that way.

Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, UCLA, and Nebraska are much more like us than they are Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and USC. Oregon, Washington, Michigan State, and Wisconsin are kind of in between.
This has been my contention along, that for this NFL light conference to form, both the SEC and B10 are going to have to get rid of some schools that just do not move the needle in bringing in money, either that, or they go to uneven revenue, where the Ohio States and Michigan's get more than the NW and Purdue's.
The B10 got Washington and Oregon on the cheap this time, give it a few years and those schools are not going to be pleased when they are taking less than schools not bringing in the revenue for the conference like they are.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
This has been my contention along, that for this NFL light conference to form, both the SEC and B10 are going to have to get rid of some schools that just do not move the needle in bringing in money, either that, or they go to uneven revenue, where the Ohio States and Michigan's get more than the NW and Purdue's.
The B10 got Washington and Oregon on the cheap this time, give it a few years and those schools are not going to be pleased when they are taking less than schools not bringing in the revenue for the conference like they are.
Oregon maybe but they have no choice. Washington could very well be irrelevant again after losing their coach and almost their entire team. Have to see on that one.

I’ve also been quite adamant that no school is getting cut or unequal revenue anytime soon but I know I’m not convincing anyone of that. No way to prove either side is right on it but just don’t see that happening.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
UNCONN is a better fit than Gonzaga, because UCONN has a football program, and their location would be easier to tie the conference together than a lone school in the far west corner of the nation.

I don't disagree that UConn could be a good fit for the Big12 if the Big12 adds ACC schools.

But to paint Gonzaga as being on a west coast island is hyperbole. The distance from SLC to Spokane is no farther than SLC to Phoenix. I never heard distance between schools being an issue for the Pac12 with schools that stretched from Seattle to Tucson. Planes are a wonderful invention.

If we see a Big12 that is 20-24 teams, then I feel we see conference divided into geographic based divisions. With the advent of the 12 or 14 team CFP, I feel like divisions will return to favor. Why wouldn't the Big10, SEC or Big12 want to have 3 or 4 division champions vs. having a top team among schools that don't play each other?

Reactions: HouClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This. The Big Ten and SEC had MULTIPLE chances to get any Big 12 team (including KU) at a huge discount after the UT OU departure but chose not to. I think the administrators at all of the CURRENT Big 12 understand this which is why they are now committed to making the Big 12 the best it can be. I can’t speak for the 4 new Pac schools, I wouldn’t be shocked if they are still thinking they can get a Big Ten or SEC invite since they haven’t been in the realignment cycle near as long as the current Big 12. The way Utah and AZ State’s admins have acted, I wouldn’t be shocked if they continue to flirt around. It would be best if they commit with the rest of the Big 12 to make it the best conference that retains the true spirit of college sports.
I have a feeling realignment will end when the TV Networks decide to end it. For example, if the TV folks want ASU in the SEC or Big10 because they bring the Phoenix market, then realignment will continue.

TV markets and brands will continue to drive realignment, whether it's the Big10 or Big12.

• Disagree

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Looking at the ACC, I think there are some distinct divisions of value in teams. Inside those divisions the schools are very similar in value, and 1 school may be more desirable to one conference than the other for 1 particular reason or another, ie. AAU, Location, Culture etc.
Here is my guess at value overall.

1. ND, grand prize, more value than any in ACC.

2. FSU
3. NC
4. Clem
These 3 are probably very close in value overall, and could be reordered depending on several factors and conferences.

5. UVA
6. Miami
7. Stan
8. NCSt
9. Vtch
Probably the next division, I doubt the SEC or B1G go below this group and really any here are probably not as likely to get in to the top 2, without significant discount.

10. Pitt
11. Louis
12. Duke
13. GT
Here is the next group of similar value, and I would doubt the B12 goes below this group unless needing 1 team, and very doubtful any here get into the top 2.

14. Syra
15. Cal
16. Wake
17. BC
18. SMU
These are Probably SOL just like OSU and WSU. Just not enough overall value.
Once you get past ND, no one except the conferences has a clue the value that ACC teams bring to either the SEC or B10. FSU sounds great to the B10, but less so to the SEC as they already have a school in Florida, why double up when you do not have to. Same deal with Clemson, maybe UV and UNC add more value to the SEC then the B10.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
it is possible the BIG could add arz and colo, but only if they drop deadweight like rutgers and northwestern. I think terps were a good add, and id be shocked if the BIG ever drops them. There was an article by a noted sports writer that said the SEC could, if the ACC goes sideways, add texas tech and WVU. He said markets for those 2 are not good, but theyre both strong brands for TV and a culture fit.

I think that never happens, but it does show no one knows anything at this point--except that the sec and BIG both want UNC.
Oh man would ASU and Utah throw a fit if that happened. Like a hangry toddler level tantrum.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don't disagree that UConn could be a good fit for the Big12 if the Big12 adds ACC schools.

But to paint Gonzaga as being on a west coast island is hyperbole. The distance from SLC to Spokane is no farther than SLC to Phoenix. I never heard distance between schools being an issue for the Pac12 with schools that stretched from Seattle to Tucson. Planes are a wonderful invention.

If we see a Big12 that is 20-24 teams, then I feel we see conference divided into geographic based divisions. With the advent of the 12 or 14 team CFP, I feel like divisions will return to favor. Why wouldn't the Big10, SEC or Big12 want to have 3 or 4 division champions vs. having a top team among schools that don't play each other?
Not hyperbole at all, how close Gonzaga is to SLC is less important than how it is to most of the teams in the conference compared to UCONN. All of which are except the new schools added out west its closer to UCONN than Spokane.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I have a feeling realignment will end when the TV Networks decide to end it. For example, if the TV folks want ASU in the SEC or Big10 because they bring the Phoenix market, then realignment will continue.

TV markets and brands will continue to drive realignment, whether it's the Big10 or Big12.
Extremely strong disagree. The leagues have yet to add a single team that doesn’t fit their overall plan and mission. Fox could yell all they want about ASU and they would get a hard no from the presidents who make the decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Creighton and Gonzaga as non football adds makes sense to me.
While I get what you are saying, I just disagree with the whole non Football additions.

I just dont like the idea of non football adds.

One would argue UConns basketball brings more than either of those, and we could add them as a football school too even though the football is not their value or strength.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
While I get what you are saying, I just disagree with the whole non Football additions.

I just dont like the idea of non football adds.

One would argue UConns basketball brings more than either of those, and we could add them as a football school too even though the football is not their value or strength.
Unless the landscape for how basketball rights gets renegotiated then yeah I agree with you completely

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Extremely strong disagree. The leagues have yet to add a single team that doesn’t fit their overall plan and mission. Fox could yell all they want about ASU and they would get a hard no from the presidents who make the decisions.
It has to be both. You cant have one without the other. They both have to want/agree to the addition.

• Agree

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not hyperbole at all, how close Gonzaga is to SLC is less important than how it is to most of the teams in the conference compared to UCONN. All of which are except the new schools added out west its closer to UCONN than Spokane.
Once we get to 20+ team conferences, we will see geographic divisions come back. So Gonzaga will be playing UU, BYU, CU, ASU, UA twice a year in hoops and then play 8-10 games against the other Big12 teams. So Gonzaga is only going to have 4 or 5 longer flights to play other Big12 schools.

Look at the Big East, is Creighton complaining about road trips to Providence, Danbury, New York, Newark, Philly or DC? The distance from Ames to Spokane is 75 miles further than Ames to Orlando. Plus the Big12 can mitigate the travel by scheduling like the Pac 12 did. ASU would play @UW on Thu and @WSU on Sat.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron