Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
this f'kn guy lol. he's eternally butthurt that the truck stop conference survived and his died. he's on a jihad against anything big 12
Well he isnt wrong. The channel and timeslot is probably 50% of the driver of viewers. Then 30% is the brand names and 20% is actual rankings. Of course its all tangled up together- ranked brand names get the best timeslots.

Im sure tv folks have a regression analysis showing the exact breakdowns on those drivers, and which brands are the strongest.

The magic is the game value goes up exponentially w viewership. So you want the best brands, to be ranked, in the best slots. Thats how you max the value.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
...who's still using a headshot that's 20 years old.

C4hOwjnQ_200x200.jpg
reminds me of meeting some profs... headshots from 1998 Hhahhaha

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I believe more people have ESPN+ than ESPNU now, or getting close.

Last fall ESPN+ Was over 26M subs and growing by around 1M per quarter.

Last info I can find for ESPNU, was in summer 2023, and was about 37M and dropping close to 1M per quarter. (edited to fix date) ESPNU lost about 15M subs between 2021 and 2023. During same time ESPN+ gained almost 15M.

If they stay on that trajectory, ESPN+ will pass ESPNU soon if not already.
This is by design by ESPN. They can make more off of plus. Don’t be surprised if they kill off U completely in the next few years

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
I'd be shocked if there's any such thing as two school still tied at the hip. It might be a posture, but Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon and California all saw state schools go different directions in just the last round. Further, each of the schools left behind were all potentially going to be left outside the power conferences, and two actually are.

If the B10 or SEC want UVA or UNC, they might lobby to bring along VT or NC State, but they'll still end up going when the B10/SEC tell them no.
It happened with arz/arz state. arz was handcuffed from joining big 12 unless arz state also went.

it may be UNC and UVA have the political clout to get state lawmakers to help them get to the SEC or BIG, but they may not.

it'd be sick if big 12 somehow had nc and virginia, both huge states, to themselves.

Of course, the BIG could boot NW, purdue and rutgers to make room for VT, miami, and UVA.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
B1G has their own network and they still now require a sub to BTN+, for just 1 school, if you want all schools in the B1G and all content you must have an upgraded premium BTN+ package. You also need a Peacock and Paramount+ could be required in the future, if they move to a sub only package not a simulcast for sports.

ACC, SEC have their own networks but still require ESPN+ for all content.

A stand alone conference network is a thing of the past.
There is not one fan of a B12 school that would not switch places with the B10 and take their TV package over what we have. You are complaining that to watch all the games you have to go to a secondary feed like streaming, you have to do the same with the B12.

The only thing that ESPN+ has brought to the league is now more of the games are broadcast, where before they were not. The SEC and B10 schools will shortly be bringing in over $100 million dollars per school, the ACC and B12 is nowhere close to that number.

What would the ratings share for tonight's game be if it was streamed only on ESPN+ as compared to being shown on ESPN? It doesn't take a crystal ball to state that if the game was only being streamed tonight, it would have a fraction of the audience of what it will have on ESPN. I would guess higher viewing numbers was the reason that ESPN moved the game last night from its originally scheduled ESPN2 slot to the higher watched ESPN.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It happened with arz/arz state. arz was handcuffed from joining big 12 unless arz state also went.

it may be UNC and UVA have the political clout to get state lawmakers to help them get to the SEC or BIG, but they may not.

it'd be sick if big 12 somehow had nc and virginia, both huge states, to themselves.

Of course, the BIG could boot NW, purdue and rutgers to make too make for VT, miami, and UVA.
Everything I have read in the Athletic says this is not true at all, the two schools were not linked together.
Arizonia tried everything they could to keep the Pac 12 together after losing USC and UCLA, they thought they had it all worked out, Colorado would be leaving, but the other schools would stay and try to make a go of it. The night before the vote was to be taken, Oregon and Washington called the league members to tell them they were going to the B10. That decision was what forced Arizona to join the B12, without that happening, they would not have joined and the Pac 12 would have tried to fill in and make a go of it.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
There is not one fan of a B12 school that would not switch places with the B10 and take their TV package over what we have. You are complaining that to watch all the games you have to go to a secondary feed like streaming, you have to do the same with the B12.

The only thing that ESPN+ has brought to the league is now more of the games are broadcast, where before they were not. The SEC and B10 schools will shortly be bringing in over $100 million dollars per school, the ACC and B12 is nowhere close to that number.

What would the ratings share for tonight's game be if it was streamed only on ESPN+ as compared to being shown on ESPN? It doesn't take a crystal ball to state that if the game was only being streamed tonight, it would have a fraction of the audience of what it will have on ESPN. I would guess higher viewing numbers was the reason that ESPN moved the game last night from its originally scheduled ESPN2 slot to the higher watched ESPN.
I think the $100 million figure is the average over the life of the contract. It is currently in the $65 million range??? Please correct if I am wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think the $100 million figure is the average over the life of the contract. It is currently in the $65 million range??? Please correct if I am wrong.
The new contract does not kick in until this fall I believe, that is when they will see a large jump in money coming in from the media. Both the B10 and SEC will move from out in front, to running away from the B12 and ACC in media money.

• Disagree

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Everything I have read in the Athletic says this is not true at all, the two schools were not linked together.
Arizonia tried everything they could to keep the Pac 12 together after losing USC and UCLA, they thought they had it all worked out, Colorado would be leaving, but the other schools would stay and try to make a go of it. The night before the vote was to be taken, Oregon and Washington called the league members to tell them they were going to the B10. That decision was what forced Arizona to join the B12, without that happening, they would not have joined and the Pac 12 would have tried to fill in and make a go of it.

Not sure this is true about Arizona.

I’ve heard from connected alums/boosters a majority of influence wanted to join Big 12 even before Texas/OU left because they were tired of being in an afterthought basketball conference. Through the entire time after OU/Texas left I heard that the vast majority of boosters were pushing to bolt to Big 12. I think even if Colorado and others had never left, we’d have seen just Arizona joining the Big 12 to make it 13 then Yormark would have had options to go to 14-16 like UConn.

Obviously when Washington and Oregon left and Colorado going public they went from 90% wanting to leave to 100%, but I think USC/UCLA was more than enough to turn their previous 70% desire to leave into actually leaving even if it would have been leaving alone.

It’s not the primary factor but the Big 12 always had similar or even better geography for them. With UCLA/USC gone the Big 12 footprint was geographically better.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
The new contract does not kick in until this fall I believe, that is when they will see a large jump in money coming in from the media. Both the B10 and SEC will move from out in front, to running away from the B12 and ACC in media money.
Agreed, but the number I keep hearing was $20 million more than big 12. I also, think think is before the new FB playoff money.

Side note: The Cytown project over time is to try to provide for an additional $20 million in cash flow within 8-10 years from completion.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I’ve heard from connected alums/boosters a majority of influence wanted to join Big 12 even before Texas/OU left because they were tired of being in an afterthought basketball conference. Through the entire time after OU/Texas left I heard that the vast majority of boosters were pushing to bolt to Big 12. I think even if Colorado and others had never left, we’d have seen just Arizona joining the Big 12 to make it 13 then Yormark would have had options to go to 14-16 like UConn.

Obviously when Washington and Oregon left and Colorado going public they went from 90% wanting to leave to 100%, but I think USC/UCLA was more than enough to turn their previous 70% desire to leave into actually leaving even if it would have been leaving alone.

It’s not the primary factor but the Big 12 always had similar or even better geography for them. With UCLA/USC gone the Big 12 footprint was geographically better.

Agreed with what you said. It was ASU that didn’t want to go and was trying to keep the PAC together. I think ASU was also pushing the board to make Arizona stay as well. I’d imagine that if it wasn’t for ASU, Arizona may have announced sooner.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Agreed with what you said. It was ASU that didn’t want to go and was trying to keep the PAC together. I think ASU was also pushing the board to make Arizona stay as well. I’d imagine that if it wasn’t for ASU, Arizona may have announced sooner.
Yeah Arizona insiders were reporting staff was told they were going to the Big 12 the night before that pivotal OU/Washington meeting.

It was Arizona State that made a last ditch effort to save the conference that morning right before the meeting. Despite all the media reports, I’m not sure I 100% believe that if OU/UW hadn’t bolted in that meeting that Arizona would have stayed. But we’ll never know

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Yet every time I see a B1G game on peacock, I see nothing but crying and b--tching about it. Its like some of you dont understand they are driving subs which is what pays for these huge contracts.

And there again, the B12 is on a major network...why? You are saying we wont ever get on a major network with our new contract. This idea that for some reason every game the B12 plays will move to ESPN+ is ridiculous.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Not sure about the boosters and alumni, but the president of Arizona wanted to stay in the P12. I found the article from the Athletic that walk you through the falling apart of the P12.

• Haha

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
B1G media deal started July 1, 2023. Which is why they have games on Peacock now, and also CBS/Paramount

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

I wouldnt trust anything on the subject that came from the Athletic. Might as well listen to Altimore as to read that garbage. Its a Pac homer publication.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yet every time I see a B1G game on peacock, I see nothing but crying and b--tching about it. Its like some of you dont understand they are driving subs which is what pays for these huge contracts.

And there again, the B12 is on a major network...why? You are saying we wont ever get on a major network with our new contract. This idea that for some reason every game the B12 plays will move to ESPN+ is ridiculous.
Because the numbers of viewers are not there if you are Peacock or ESPN+, again there was no programing that was only streamed in the top 100 programing this past year.
I never stated the B12 will not get on a major network, nor anything like it, stop making **** up. If ESPN+ is such a great deal for everyone, then why in the hell is the ISU game tonight not being shown there instead of on ESPN? Because few would see it on ESPN+, this is not rocket science here, and the numbers do not lie. Schools on NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox and ESPN outdraw teams on ESPN+, BTN and other smaller networks.

Reactions: ClubCy