Realignment, Alliance, and the Future of College Athletics

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think some of you have never dealt with consultants before...

They did another report a year or two ago on the different schools and realignment, and it was really about 80-90% well done. Had some good intel on academics as well as athletics, and some good proxy measures for different things.

This one, I agree, is super squishy and subjective and appears not well reasoned, and of course their algorithm is secret. Maybe they are right, but it sure doesn't seem that way and with no detail on the math there's no way to know if they are idiots or insightful.

This feels like a marketing tease to get some business doing some consulting for AAC or ACC schools.
Are you kidding? That piece isn't even Junior High material. Anyone believing any of that must re-learn the principle of 'premise' first. Their entire data premise is crap, therefore, any subsequent argument is crap. It is as simple as that.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
I think some of you have never dealt with consultants before...

They did another report a year or two ago on the different schools and realignment, and it was really about 80-90% well done. Had some good intel on academics as well as athletics, and some good proxy measures for different things.

This one, I agree, is super squishy and subjective and appears not well reasoned, and of course their algorithm is secret. Maybe they are right, but it sure doesn't seem that way and with no detail on the math there's no way to know if they are idiots or insightful.

This feels like a marketing tease to get some business doing some consulting for AAC or ACC schools.
Yeah I have, and their methodology better be solid and defensible with strong supporting evidence, and repeatable with sometimes conflicting opinions/evidence; and I usually sent them home to do more research/diligence because over 50% of the time it could not convince me of their position and I had to justify resource expenditure to a Board. And the golden rule always applied "He who has the gold; makes the rules; prior to any contract being executed, (Another little tidbit, it is governed by your state laws; not theirs. If not satisfactory, say thanks; but no thanks! We could do our own op-ed research in house rather than pay someone for that work.

And if what you are saying is true, then they are bait and switch, using their "good" work to prop up "squishy" work. I hated that laziness, but now I am retired, So I only criticize when shoddy work affects people/organizations which interest me and that I favor, So the work against such entities will probably never convince, but I will respect well done work; not this.

• Winner
Reactions: Cloneon