Realignment, Alliance, and the Future of College Athletics

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
No way they leave out Minnesota if there are three protected rivals. Isn't Floyd of Rosedale the oldest trophy game?
Not sure about nationally, but it's long-running and near top of BiG rivalries, with combination of first year + # of meetings (1891, 113 meetings) ...

Even with that isn't 1st. (but close)

Paul Bunyan's Axe: 1890, 127 meetings.
Old Oaken Bucket: 1891, 121 meetings.

Reactions: Gorm

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Not sure about nationally, but it's long-running and near top of BiG rivalries, with combination of first year + # of meetings (1891, 113 meetings) ...

Always thought it was weird having multiple Paul Bunyan trophies, get creative big ten

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
^ This REALLY points to a 4 pod with 3 teams each pod structure
Why? if they stay at 18 games, then with 4 pods, you would have 4 games vs you podmates, and 14 to split up amongst the other 3. I can't get that to balance simply.

Seems like 3 pods of 4 fits that better. You play 6 games vs podmates, then 8 games vs one pod and 4 vs the other. And switch the pod you play twice every year. AKA 6-8-4 / 6-4-8 scheduling. You can take the 3 pod winners plus a wildcard for byes in the conference tournament, that will be fair almost every year anyway.

Reactions: heitclone

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

I was referring to the trophy itself. I know the Axe is now just a stand in for the "slab of bacon." It does appear that the Oaken buckets trophy beginnings were prior to Floyd as well.

Reactions: cyclones500

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think they could do some kind of 6-8-4 rotation without having to get formal with labels like pods or divisions. Just protect 3 rivalries for everyone and rotate the other 8 teams.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Why? if they stay at 18 games, then with 4 pods, you would have 4 games vs you podmates, and 14 to split up amongst the other 3. I can't get that to balance simply.

Seems like 3 pods of 4 fits that better. You play 6 games vs podmates, then 8 games vs one pod and 4 vs the other. And switch the pod you play twice every year. AKA 6-8-4 / 6-4-8 scheduling. You can take the 3 pod winners plus a wildcard for byes in the conference tournament, that will be fair almost every year anyway.

ISU, KU, KSU
BYU, BU, TCU
Tech, UH, OSU
Cincy, WV, UCF
UT, OU - thru 2025

You play your pod and a rotating pod for home and away in basketball. Then you play the other two pods plus UT and OU at least once

Reactions: Jkclone15

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This methodology reads as if they just used conference payouts and AD budgets to determine fanbase sizes:

Estimates based on Knight Commission and NCAA data, allocating proportionate estimates of overall costs to reported football costs, and estimating earned revenue per conference and media reports of proportionality. 2019-20 data and based on 85 scholarship players.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

View attachment 99678

This poor guy did A LOT of work to only look like an idiot..

BYU is FAR and away the #1 fanbase in the new Big 12. I think TCU, KSU and Baylor would bring up the rear

I'm not expert but I imagine BYU would be at least higher than that chart shows. KSU above KU makes no sense to me. Maybe ISU's placement is close to accurate.

How would you rank the full list to be the most accurate?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

View attachment 99678

This poor guy did A LOT of work to only look like an idiot..

BYU is FAR and away the #1 fanbase in the new Big 12. I think TCU, KSU and Baylor would bring up the rear

Couldn't agree more. "Average Fanbase Size Estimates" What the hell is that? And, how can anyone justify any numbers associated with that? So much wrong with that and dumb enough to put it in words. "Synthesis of 2011, 2014 & 2019 NYT + NYT 538 studies"? Geez. Starting with 'Synthesis'; implying narrative to fit what they want. Then cherry picking years. Then choosing an east coast paper. OMG. Does it get any dumber?

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone care to summarize? They don't deserve our money with current coverage
Wife got an email, her subscription to the NYT now includes the Athletic, probably got bought out by NYT, may have to up their ethics in reporting,:jimlad:

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Couldn't agree more. "Average Fanbase Size Estimates" What the hell is that? And, how can anyone justify any numbers associated with that? So much wrong with that and dumb enough to put it in words. "Synthesis of 2011, 2014 & 2019 NYT + NYT 538 studies"? Geez. Starting with 'Synthesis'; implying narrative to fit what they want. Then cherry picking years. Then choosing an east coast paper. OMG. Does it get any dumber?
Who the hell is ALtmoreCollins, other than a NY PR firm. Also no peer reviews of methodology or confirming outside studies. This is no more than an op-ed piece, wrapped up in pretty paper to make it seem to be factual.

Reactions: Cloneon

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
A great read and listen for those interested. Pollard states a new commish will likely be voted on at the end of the month with a announcement at media day.

Jamie is such a great rep for ISU and out interests

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Who the hell is ALtmoreCollins, other than a NY PR firm. Also no peer reviews of methodology or confirming outside studies. This is no more than an op-ed piece, wrapped up in pretty paper to make it seem to be factual.
I think some of you have never dealt with consultants before...

They did another report a year or two ago on the different schools and realignment, and it was really about 80-90% well done. Had some good intel on academics as well as athletics, and some good proxy measures for different things.

This one, I agree, is super squishy and subjective and appears not well reasoned, and of course their algorithm is secret. Maybe they are right, but it sure doesn't seem that way and with no detail on the math there's no way to know if they are idiots or insightful.

This feels like a marketing tease to get some business doing some consulting for AAC or ACC schools.

Help Support Us

Become a patron