Rashon Clark comments on McDermott (In honor of his Birthday)

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
He didn't have "solid talent".

If that gets repeated enough maybe someday it will be seen as truth.

reaCY

Mar 21, 2014
Tim Floyd slowed it down and won...Gregg was a my way or the highway kinda guy. Having been recruited by him at Wayne State I can tell you his system only fits good ol boys like Gary Thompson. Being a Morgan supporter is hard when a certain sector (high dollar donors) want him ran out the door because he couldn't pander to their egos. Don't get me started on the fans and 'columnists'who would write about Wayne letting the "inmates run the asylum". That crowd can go eat a honey wagon full of poo. If their favorite golfer was streaky they'd pander the hell out of them.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
IMO, you are 100% backwards on this. Greg recruited fine and had solid talent in all but his first season. His system and player relations were his problem. Which is funny to think about, because when he was hired the concern was that while he was a great coach, could he recruit?

But it's odd, because if you follow him and his team now, seems to be VERY team orientated, loved by players, etc. Overall, just a different style/fit at Creighton and not at ISU. He is a good coach...but it is coaching. As a friend reminded me, remember Diante would be looking at the sideline all the time because he was coaching from the sideline..with CFH, the coaching is more during time outs, small adjustments and letting the players flow.

McD is a great person/man. it just didn't work out here and he's found success elsewhere and was part of the flow of things happening to get CFH. It happens.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
IMO, you are 100% backwards on this. Greg recruited fine and had solid talent in all but his first season. His system and player relations were his problem. Which is funny to think about, because when he was hired the concern was that while he was a great coach, could he recruit?
I disagree. We would have 3-4 solid starters, but after that there wasn't much. When you are playing guys like Bryan Peterson, Sean Haluska, etc. for 25+ minutes a game and starting, you have an issue with talent and depth. His last team was easily the most talented though.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
He didn't have "solid talent".

If that gets repeated enough maybe someday it will be seen as truth.

Lol, sure he didn't.

Mike Taylor - second round pick
Wes Johnson - #3 pick
Craig Brackins - first round pick
Diante Garrett - FA, second year NBA now
Justin Hamilton - second rounder

Jiri Hubalek - Euro Pro
Rashon Clark - Israel pro
Lucca Staiger - German pro

His last team was

Starters:
Garrett
Staiger
Gilstrap
Brackins
Hamilton

Bench:
Scott Christopherson
Jamie Vanderbeken
Laron Dendy
Chris Colvin

Explain to me how a team with 3 future NBA players and a bench with 3 4 star players plus a 6-11 3 point shooter is not solid talent. IMO, Fred takes that team to at least the sweet 16.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Lol, sure he didn't.

Wes Johnson - #3 pick

Jiri Hubalek - Euro Pro

His last team was

Starters:
Garrett
Staiger
Gilstrap
Brackins
Hamilton

Bench:
Scott Christopherson
Jamie Vanderbeken
Laron Dendy
Chris Colvin

Explain to me how a team with 3 future NBA players and a bench with 3 4 star players plus a 6-11 3 point shooter is not solid talent. IMO, Fred takes that team to at least the sweet 16.
His last team definitely should have made the tourney. That season was a huge fail. Also, spread over 4 years, Hoiberg has more than 8 playing pro basketball somewhere.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think the bigger issue was Pollard. McDermott had been around long enough to know his style of basketball. He played slow, grind-it-out, defensive focused basketball at UNI, and there wasn't any reason to think he'd change that. We were, of course, coming from Wayne Morgan who could not be any different in his approach. We had one coach micro-managing every movement on the floor, and we had a former coach whose philosophy appeared to be roll the balls out and let the boys play. Not necessarily saying one approach is better than the other, but it wasn't hard to forecast a disaster when you take a bunch of players brought into run-and-gun, changed systems and mixed them with the Ross Marsden, Jiri and Brian Peterson's of the World. To me, it would be like Fred leaving and hiring Bob Huggins and expecting our current roster of versatile, athletic, shooters to be play defensive minded, grind-it-out basketball.

In all, it was just a very poorly thought out plan.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What is he doing now? I thought he'd find somewhere to coach because I thought he had such passion for the game and his style of play matches the style of play that all power conferences use today except the Big 10.

Loved him him to death. Freak athlete.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Seems like confirmation on what many had already suspected. IMO, G-Mac just wasn't prepared to be a head coach at the Power Conference level. And by the time he figured out that his approach wasn't working, it was too late. A fresh start did both parties a world of good.

I think his biggest problem was that he wasn't willing or able to adapt his system to fit his players. He was hell bent on playing MVC style half court basketball with a team full of athletes. Effing terrible.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
His last team definitely should have made the tourney. That season was a huge fail. Also, spread over 4 years, Hoiberg has more than 8 playing pro basketball somewhere.

Dendy, Scotty, JVB are all playing pro ball at some level as well. Talent was not his issue outside of maybe his first season. His issues were coaching and player relations.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Lol, sure he didn't.

Wes Johnson - #3 pick

Jiri Hubalek - Euro Pro

His last team was

Starters:
Garrett
Staiger
Gilstrap
Brackins
Hamilton

Bench:
Scott Christopherson
Jamie Vanderbeken
Laron Dendy
Chris Colvin

GMac surprisingly had a ton of talent brought in. He just criminally underutilized it and his teams had negative chemistry. When your star players jump ship left and right you know there is something wrong with the way they are being coached. I get tingly thinking about what Fred could do with guys like Brackins and Wes Johnson.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Dendy, Scotty, JVB are all playing pro ball at some level as well. Talent was not his issue outside of maybe his first season. His issues were coaching and player relations.

He also was unable to put a full team on the floor. He had star players but couldn't get anything out of his role players, even though some of them were talented.

The simplest example of the difference between GMac and CFH is to look at the difference in Diante Garrets game IN ONE SEASON of Hoiball with limited talent around him.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
What is he doing now? I thought he'd find somewhere to coach because I thought he had such passion for the game and his style of play matches the style of play that all power conferences use today except the Big 10.

Loved him him to death. Freak athlete.

Reading his comments, my first thought was that someone should give this man a clipboard.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Why are you whining about this? Had Morgan not gotten canned when he did, Hoiberg probably wouldn't be coaching here. Besides, after having a roster of Blalock, Stinson, Carr, Clark, Taggart, and Hubalek, going 16-14 is an absolute joke. Interesting statistic: ISU's 2005-06 team was the FIRST ever team to be preseason top 25 and not even make it to the NIT. That shows how badly Wayne Morgan underperformed.

Made up stats are the best. Duke 1994-95, started the year ranked 8th in the country and finished 13-18 with no postseason play.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Rahshon's game was definately better fit for an uptempo offense...but it would've been an absolute trainwreck (worse than it was) if McDermott would've let the teams Rahshon played for his junior and senior seasons get out and run.

Also, hindsight is 20/20. I don't think anyone will argue with you that the McDermott era at Iowa State was a disaster...but there is a reason Morgan was fired. And although we know now that McDermott wasn't the best man for the job, at the time he looked like a good hire. He had just took UNI to their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th NCAA tourney's of all team after building them from the ground, and it looked as though he was going to bring discipline Wayne's teams sorely lacked.

I remember very clearly the day McD was hired. He was hired in the middle of a Boy's State Basketball tournament that I was working at. A Hawk fan that worked at the tourney as well came up to me and asked what I thought of the hire. I hadn't checked a newspaper or anything that morning, because Boy's State can be a marathon, and I was working 40 hours at a real job at the same time, so I hadn't heard. When he told me McD had been hired, my first words were "oh god, please be joking..."

I'd hated McD since that weird little point guard at UNI tried to shoulder-jack Stinson on the freethow line, and McD congratulated him for it. I thought he was a jerk, and I didn't think his style of play would translate to Iowa State. I hated that he turned the most prolific scorer in the history of the state of Iowa into a dude who almost never shot.

This cyclone fan, at the very least, didn't think it looked like a good hire.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
But it's odd, because if you follow him and his team now, seems to be VERY team orientated, loved by players, etc. Overall, just a different style/fit at Creighton and not at ISU. He is a good coach...but it is coaching. As a friend reminded me, remember Diante would be looking at the sideline all the time because he was coaching from the sideline..with CFH, the coaching is more during time outs, small adjustments and letting the players flow.

McD is a great person/man. it just didn't work out here and he's found success elsewhere and was part of the flow of things happening to get CFH. It happens.

It will be interesting to see how this changes now that his son is no longer on the team. Maybe Doug was able to bridge the gap between players and coaches given his relationship with both groups.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I actually don't think he was. He knew exactly what he wanted to do to build the program. But that style just didn't fit in the Big 12 nor fit the players he recruited.

Which to me means he was in over his head and didn't understand how to coach at a Big 12 school.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Why are you whining about this? Had Morgan not gotten canned when he did, Hoiberg probably wouldn't be coaching here. Besides, after having a roster of Blalock, Stinson, Carr, Clark, Taggart, and Hubalek, going 16-14 is an absolute joke. Interesting statistic: ISU's 2005-06 team was the FIRST ever team to be preseason top 25 and not even make it to the NIT. That shows how badly Wayne Morgan underperformed.

No whining, just pointing out the facts as to why WM was head and shoulders above GMac as an ISU coach. And even Morgan's last team very likely would have been in the NIT had JP lobbied for it, but he was too busy looking under rocks to try to come up with a reason to can Morgan. And I can just as easily speculate that had Morgan not been canned we would have continued with winning seasons and post season wins instead of probably the worst 5 years in ISU basketball history under GMac. And who knows, maybe after that WM would have wanted to retire and Fred gets hired anyway.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
This whole McDermott thing has been beaten to death, so I hate to keep the debate alive, but I don't know how anyone can fault Pollard for making the decision he did.

Hiring coaches who had achieved quick success at "mid-majors", especially when they had some connection to the school hiring them, was the en vogue method at the time. Guys like Thad Matta, Matt Painter, and Billy Gillispie at A&M come to mind. Beyond them, you've got Mick Cronin, Mike Anderson, Mark Turgeon, Bruce Pearl, Doc Sadler, Todd "the Lick" Lickliter, John Pelphrey, and so on. Promoting successful mid-major coaches was the thing to do.

In retrospect, it was a little speculative as only one of those coaches above yielded immediate and sustained success at their "major" school (Thad Matta). Gillispie, Pearl, Sadler, Pelphrey, and Lick are no longer at major schools (sorry Auburn, you don't count). The jury's still out on Mike Anderson (he's had as many disappointing seasons as he's had good ones). Matt Painter and Mark Turgeon will likely be coaching on the hot seat this year. And though Mick Cronin has Cincinnati humming right now, it took him five years to make the tournament (his record was virtually identical to McDermott's after four years).

I think this has a lot to do with why mid-major coaches are a lot more content to stay where they're at, or are at least more selective about moving up. But using the line of thinking that was dominant 8-12 years ago, McDermott seemed like a home run hire.