Rashon Clark comments on McDermott (In honor of his Birthday)

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
My source is Shawn Taggart. As far as I know most of the players did like Wayne Morgan...his popularity among the players was never the problem for Wayne.

If he was quoted as saying that by the media I missed it. With 3 winning seasons and 4 post season wins in 3 seasons, I'm still shaking my head as to how WM got canned and replaced by a guy that went on to have no winning seasons and no post season games. And WM had also beat GMac's best 3 UNI teams 2 out of 3. But back to Rashon's point, I certainly don't think WM was the coach Fred is, but his style of play was similar, and Rashon would have been much better off his last two years in that running style with less restriction.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My source is Shawn Taggart. As far as I know most of the players did like Wayne Morgan...his popularity among the players was never the problem for Wayne.

Shawn Taggart owns a special place in my memory, as my most favorite humorous highlight. He went up for this huge (and if I remember correctly, somewhat pointless) dunk, and jammed the ball between the basket & the backboard. Oooops...

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Taggart was gone whether Morgan came back or not per Taggart himself.

The wife of one of the assistant coaches told me Taggart was leaving regardless of the firing. She was bitter about the whole situation to say the least.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If he was quoted as saying that by the media I missed it. With 3 winning seasons and 4 post season wins in 3 seasons, I'm still shaking my head as to how WM got canned and replaced by a guy that went on to have no winning seasons and no post season games. And WM had also beat GMac's best 3 UNI teams 2 out of 3. But back to Rashon's point, I certainly don't think WM was the coach Fred is, but his style of play was similar, and Rashon would have been much better off his last two years in that running style with less restriction.

Rahshon's game was definately better fit for an uptempo offense...but it would've been an absolute trainwreck (worse than it was) if McDermott would've let the teams Rahshon played for his junior and senior seasons get out and run.

Also, hindsight is 20/20. I don't think anyone will argue with you that the McDermott era at Iowa State was a disaster...but there is a reason Morgan was fired. And although we know now that McDermott wasn't the best man for the job, at the time he looked like a good hire. He had just took UNI to their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th NCAA tourney's of all team after building them from the ground, and it looked as though he was going to bring discipline Wayne's teams sorely lacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The wife of one of the assistant coaches told me Taggart was leaving regardless of the firing. She was bitter about the whole situation to say the least.

I also heard from one of the assistants that they felt they were under the microscope and they didn't understand why that kind of pressure coming off an NCAA win followed by a loss to eventual NCAA champ North Carolina. The players no doubt felt it too.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

If Morgan would have been hired by someone else and been successful, your point might be valid.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Rahshon's game was definately better fit for an uptempo offense...but it would've been an absolute trainwreck (worse than it was) if McDermott would've let the teams Rahshon played for his junior and senior seasons get out and run.

Also, hindsight is 20/20. I don't think anyone will argue with you that the McDermott era at Iowa State was a disaster...but there is a reason Morgan was fired. And although we know now that McDermott wasn't the best man for the job, at the time he looked like a good hire. He had just took UNI to their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th NCAA tourney's of all team after building them from the ground, and it looked as though he was going to bring discipline Wayne's teams sorely lacked.

Hard to imagine it could have been worse than it was under GMac but anything's possible. We'll just have to disagree about WM's teams being undisciplined. Yes they ran a lot and Stinson/Blaylock/Rashon could put on a show on fast breaks. But they could play some good d too, especially with Homan in the middle. Yes the last team had no inside presence and barely had a winning record, and when that happens run and gun can mean "undisciplined" to some, and Stinson's emotion gets tabbed as out of control. But when you have a good season, run and gun becomes "letting them play" and outbursts from players like Mel and Kane show how "competitive" they are.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
If Morgan would have been hired by someone else and been successful, your point might be valid.

That has zero to do with how he did at ISU. The guy wanted to stay in Ames for his family and try private business, which is what he did But he was almost 60 and there could be a dozen reasons he didn't want to go after a head coaching job after he was canned at ISU.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Hard to imagine it could have been worse than it was under GMac but anything's possible. We'll just have to disagree about WM's teams being undisciplined. Yes they ran a lot and Stinson/Blaylock/Rashon could put on a show on fast breaks. But they could play some good d too, especially with Homan in the middle. Yes the last team had no inside presence and barely had a winning record, and when that happens run and gun can mean "undisciplined" to some, and Stinson's emotion gets tabbed as out of control. But when you have a good season, run and gun becomes "letting them play" and outbursts from players like Mel and Kane show how "competitive" they are.

It doesn't get anymore undisciplined than giving up 99 points to a "slow it down, half court offense" and losing by about 30 despite having athletes like Blalock, Stinson, Clark, and Homan...Morgan had talent on his teams and could recruit, but his teams picked and chose when they were going to show up unlike any other era at Iowa State...when they wanted to play, they could be good, but you never knew when that was going to be?

Wayne's NCAA team waited til they were 0-5 in conference before they decided to start playing...his first team was nearly unbeatable at home but had a Johnny Orresque mental block about them when they went on the road and lost all their toughness, and his last team was good enough to beat Iowa and UNI, and give Ohio State all they wanted, but yet lost 72-89 at home to Iona, lost at home to Fresno State, beat Nebraska handily in Lincoln, then turned around a month lately and got beat in Hilton, got blown out by a Baylor team that was HORRENDOUS, etc...not too mention what went on off the court. Ask Eric Heft and Gary Thompson if they thought we were undisciplined under Morgan or just playing "run and gun" ball.

As far as it being hard to imagine it being worse running with Rahshon's teams his junior and senior seasons...we had guys like Corey McIntosh, Brock Jacobson, Bryan Petersen, Sean Haluska, Dodie Dunson, Diante Garrett (as a freshman), and Charles Boozer (as an underclassmen). It would be asinine for any coach to want to lengthen a game against Big 12 thoroughbreds with those guys playing key minutes in your backcourt.

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
It doesn't get anymore undisciplined than giving up 99 points to a "slow it down, half court offense" and losing by about 30 despite having athletes like Blalock, Stinson, Clark, and Homan...Morgan had talent on his teams and could recruit, but his teams picked and chose when they were going to show up unlike any other era at Iowa State...when they wanted to play, they could be good, but you never knew when that was going to be?

Wayne's NCAA team waited til they were 0-5 in conference before they decided to start playing defense...his first team was nearly unbeatable at home but had a Johnny Orresque mental block about them when they went on the road and lost all their toughness, and his last team was good enough to beat Iowa and UNI, and give Ohio State all they wanted, but yet lost 72-89 at home to Iona, lost at home to Fresno State, beat Nebraska handily in Lincoln, then turned around a month lately and got beat in Hilton, got blown out by a Baylor team that was HORRENDOUS, etc...not too mention what went on off the court. Ask Eric Heft and Gary Thompson if they thought we were undisciplined under Morgan or just playing "run and gun" ball.

As far as it being hard to imagine it being worse running with Rahshon's teams his junior and senior seasons...we had guys like Corey McIntosh, Brock Jacobson, Bryan Petersen, Sean Haluska, Dodie Dunson, Diante Garrett (as a freshman), and Charles Boozer (as an underclassmen). It would be asinine for any coach to want to lengthen a game against Big 12 thoroughbreds with those guys playing key minutes in your backcourt.

When a lot of players quit, that happens. GMac is a good guy but while he was here we were "Transfer U" because of good players wanting to leave. Now we're ""Transfer U" because of good players wanting to transfer here. And it's easy to pick out "clunker" games in almost any season. I'm not saying WM was a great coach, but he certainly didn't deserve getting canned, and especially the way it was done, and it's no surprise his players didn't like it any better than the coaches did. And you obviously don't think much of his coaching ability, but you're not going to find a lot of 3 year periods in ISU basketball history where we had 3 winning seasons and 4 post season wins. His record speaks for itself.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Nobody is saying the McDermott era wasn't a disaster...but you are right that I did not think much or Wayne's coaching ability, and I definately was not alone in that respect. I think there are a LOT of coaches out there that would've gotten better results than Wayne did with the rosters he had. Agree to disagree though...off to bed for this guy

Last edited:

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

Why are you whining about this? Had Morgan not gotten canned when he did, Hoiberg probably wouldn't be coaching here. Besides, after having a roster of Blalock, Stinson, Carr, Clark, Taggart, and Hubalek, going 16-14 is an absolute joke. Interesting statistic: ISU's 2005-06 team was the FIRST ever team to be preseason top 25 and not even make it to the NIT. That shows how badly Wayne Morgan underperformed.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think the biggest downfall was how hard he was on Wes....ultimately making Wes leave. Then, I had heard he was soft on Brackins to keep him around. Other players noticed the differential treatment so there was a lot of turnover.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Taggart wasn't going to make the difference in our front court if Wayne would have still been there the next year. He was a player that was going to always get abused in the Big 12. The guy never impressed me at Memphis either.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think McDermott's style could have worked, but the personnel never seem to fit or be talented enough outside of a few starters.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think McDermott's style could have worked, but the personnel never seem to fit or be talented enough outside of a few starters.

IMO, you are 100% backwards on this. Greg recruited fine and had solid talent in all but his first season. His system and player relations were his problem. Which is funny to think about, because when he was hired the concern was that while he was a great coach, could he recruit?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
IMO, you are 100% backwards on this. Greg recruited fine and had solid talent in all but his first season. His system and player relations were his problem. Which is funny to think about, because when he was hired the concern was that while he was a great coach, could he recruit?

Actually it seemed like TJ could get them to campus and once they figured out who they were playing for they jumped ship.