Rankings - Iowa State Basketball: Associated Press #19 - Coaches #23 (11/29)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If the defense keeps up and the 3 point shooting has truly stabilized then I think we've got a legit shot at the bubble. The defense will keep us in games, and consistent shooting will win us a lot of them. Just depends if that consistency can stay. Early on it didn't look good but we've shot better as the competition has gotten tougher, which leads me to believe the early shooting woes was more the players finding themselves.

They have got good shots every game, just hadn't hit them til lately. I was really excited they were getting GOOD shots, not just early or late guarded garbage 3s, unlike past few years...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I would rank both. Murray is much better than weiskamp and other Murray is about the same with more upside improving rapidly.

Maybe correct but I'd like to see Iowa play a team with a pulse first. Beat Virginia tonight and all bias aside, Iowa deserves to be ranked.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not sure how good Virginia is. They lost to Navy.
Not that good but still a good defensive team. If Iowa can put up 75 points, that’s pretty good. If they give up 70 to Virginia, then their defense is bad.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Why do so many people have this mentality?? It’s prevalent among cyclone fans. I don’t want to be ranked cuz we might lose now. Jesus Christ people, if you aren’t ranked you are losing too many games….
Over 60 years watching Cyclone basketball and,don’t want to get too far ahead,but what a fun transformation!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If the defense keeps up and the 3 point shooting has truly stabilized then I think we've got a legit shot at the bubble. The defense will keep us in games, and consistent shooting will win us a lot of them. Just depends if that consistency can stay. Early on it didn't look good but we've shot better as the competition has gotten tougher, which leads me to believe the early shooting woes was more the players finding themselves.

I disagree - if what happened in Brooklyn is the rule and not the exception, then ISU isn’t a bubble team; they’re an NCAA lock. This team exerted its will on two teams expected to be playing ball in March. “Bubble” teams don’t do that.

Of course I understand the cautious optimism thing, especially after the dumpster fire that was last year. I’m speaking solely based on what happened in Brooklyn and taking nothing else into account.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Honestly I don't even know if I'd call Memphis an incredibly talented team after watching them. I'd call them an insanely long and athletic team. I didn't really even see their problem as figuring out how to play team offense. It looked to me like a roster full of guys that were extremely limited in terms of offensive skill.

I think this is something that if I was a basketball recruiting service I would try to address. Ranking a guy like Duren that high as a college recruit seems like a huge mistake. I absolutely don't see him being a great college player unless he stayed 3 years, which one way or the other probably isn't happening.

As far as college recruiting goes, bigs that are athletic but raw probably should not be ranked nearly as high as they are, as they are probably not going to have a big impact in the college game. By the time they put it together they are already going to be in the NBA or G-League.

Or, you know, it could be that ISU just did that to them. What you’re saying discredits the fact that Memphis beat another top 25 team in VT two nights prior. It also discredits us and the fact ISU made people stand up and take notice with what happened in Brooklyn.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why do so many people have this mentality?? It’s prevalent among cyclone fans. I don’t want to be ranked cuz we might lose now. Jesus Christ people, if you aren’t ranked you are losing too many games….

A large percentage of this fan base has a loser mentality. Referencing Sean Connery in “The Rock”, too many people around here don’t even want to try to **** the prom queen.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron