Ranking the Top College Basketball Conferences

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Interesting reading about Nevada after playing them last year, looks like we need to root for Boise, ISU @KU game, but how on earth does he think that Iowa can sneak in?

D

Deleted member 8507

Found this article today...

Spoiler: He ponders the possibility of all 10 BigXII teams making the tournament.

Also amusing is comparing this article with the pre-season version he wrote in October.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2749184-ranking-the-top-college-basketball-conferences-in-2017-18

1. "Here's a fun question: Could all 10 Big 12 teams make the NCAA tournament?

Both the Pac-12 and the A-10 are much worse than they have been in recent years, and you could legitimately make the case that the third-best team in the Big Ten would be the worst team in the Big 12. Maybe Kansas goes 13-5 and wins the league outright because that's just what Kansas does, but what if every other team finishes 7-11 or better in conference play?"

Reactions: SeventhSon

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm among those who say anything more than 7 bids is extremely unlikely. Even if it's highly competitive, with good resumes, clustering in slots 6-10, there will be points of separation among those teams and at-large contenders in other conference.

Big 12 getting 8 bids would be akin to the following:
ACC: 12
Big Ten and SEC: 12 (actual, 11.2)
Pac 12 10 (actual, 9.6)

Even when Big East got 11 of 16 teams into the tournament in 2011, that was "only" 68%.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
I really think the Big 12 gets 8 teams in this year. Last year, they got 6 but Tech and TCU were on the bubble. What hurt them was TCU was terrible against top 25 opponents (1-7) and Tech had a 6-12 record. Kansas was so dominant, it left 3 teams at the bottom with poor conference records. Kansas and whoever else wins the conference with 5 losses and the bottom will have more wins. Because of the insane amount of quality wins each team in the Big 12 has as conference season winds down, even if they beat up on each other, they will not drop much in RPI or KenPom. There is a chance all 10 Big 12 teams will be in top 50 in KenPom by the time conference play starts. If ISU, Tech, OSU, and/or KSU get a SEC win, I think 8 will really happen. 7 is almost likely at this point just because they almost got 7 in last year and the Big 12 is better and other conferences are not.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron