Ranking B12 coaches ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
So let me get this straight.. because you want it to fit your narrative, you just happen to take out the best year in Iowa State football history? You can't do that lol. Not having COVID issues doesn't mean you get to throw out the whole season.

Yes, last year we had a poor season and should've done better. Obviously. We still whooped that purple kitty ass in Manhattan though.

And no **** you're going to hire Kleinman lol you're a homer K-State fan and he's the head coach of Kansas State. He's not as good of a coach than CMC though. It's been proven on the field and by how sought after CMC has been to the NFL and very prestigious CFB programs.
Much of that is true. And I wrote that ISU was that night last year the best team K-State played all year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Much of that is true. And I wrote that ISU was that night last year the best team K-State played all year.
Iowa State was pretty much the same team last year as they were in 2020. The only main difference was the bounces we got in 2020 were more favorable than in 2021. Turnover luck, guys hitting 65 yard FG's as time expired, some very tough calls both ways, injuries, etc. It's all part of the game of football. One year it went our way and the other it didn't.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Let me summarize a bit. This was not my ranking of coaches. I just posted it and CMC was one spot higher than Chris Klieman.

I thought last year was really a turd for ISU, which at the start of the year I forecast to win the league. 7-6 was awful for that talented squad. Anyone arguing that fact is, yes, what you accuse others of being - delusional. At the same time, I thought ISU was the best team K-State played in 2021, that night.

I also posted here more than once that ISU's success the year before (2020) was earned but also somewhat fortunate in that the program did not suffer the Covid issues that eviscerated other programs, like K-State.

Given all that, I put Klieman slightly higher if I were to hire a coach today. Take out the Covid year and Klieman is 16-10, CMC 14-12 over the same period. This year will bring some clarity. That's all.
Last 3 years conference records are K State 13 - 14 and ISU is 18 - 9. K State has 1 winning conference season compared to 3 for ISU.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Let me summarize a bit. This was not my ranking of coaches. I just posted it and CMC was one spot higher than Chris Klieman.

I thought last year was really a turd for ISU, which at the start of the year I forecast to win the league. 7-6 was awful for that talented squad. Anyone arguing that fact is, yes, what you accuse others of being - delusional. At the same time, I thought ISU was the best team K-State played in 2021, that night.

I also posted here more than once that ISU's success the year before (2020) was earned but also somewhat fortunate in that the program did not suffer the Covid issues that eviscerated other programs, like K-State.

Given all that, I put Klieman slightly higher if I were to hire a coach today. Take out the Covid year and Klieman is 16-10, CMC 14-12 over the same period. This year will bring some clarity. That's all.
Surly you can't be serious.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa State was pretty much the same team last year as they were in 2020. The only main difference was the bounces we got in 2020 were more favorable than in 2021. Turnover luck, guys hitting 65 yard FG's as time expired, some very tough calls both ways, injuries, etc. It's all part of the game of football. One year it went our way and the other it didn't.
We were somewhat handcuffed on offense with both Allen and Kolar returning. You couple the multiple TE sets with Brocks inability to push the ball down the field and we became crazy predictable on offense. Every team put 8 in the box on us and dared us to try to throw deep.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Surly you can't be serious.
I am serious. I'm writing exactly how I came to my earlier conclusions. Furthermore, I have restated what I had said before about Covid effects as well saying this fall will clarify my views.

K-State will have its best team since Waters and Lockett, perhaps since Klein's #1 ranked outfit - much like ISU going into last season. So, we'll see what kind of coach Klieman is, or isn't, by comparison.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1 and trevn

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am serious. I'm writing exactly how I came to my earlier conclusions. Furthermore, I have restated what I had said before about Covid effects as well saying this fall will clarify my views about whether I was correct or not.

K-State will have its best team since Waters and Lockett, perhaps since Klein's #1 ranked outfit - much like ISU going into last season. So, we'll see what kind of coach Klieman is, or isn't, by comparison.
But using your logic in that this is poised to be a "great year" for Kleinman, why didn't he and KSU achieve last year what CMC and ISU achieved in 2020, which was going 8-2 in conference play, making the conference title game, and winning the Fiesta Bowl?

KSU didn't even have a better conference record as ISU last year and ISU smoked em. So I just fail to see how this season is set up to be like ISU's was last year? We were picked 2nd in the preseason and KSU's at what, 5? Doesn't seem to be the same type of hype. Seems to me that you're creating it out of thin air.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We were somewhat handcuffed on offense with both Allen and Kolar returning. You couple the multiple TE sets with Brocks inability to push the ball down the field and we became crazy predictable on offense. Every team put 8 in the box on us and dared us to try to throw deep.
Yeah it's going to be fun to watch Dekkers sling the rock this year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I am serious. I'm writing exactly how I came to my earlier conclusions. Furthermore, I have restated what I had said before about Covid effects as well saying this fall will clarify my views.

Are you high?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
But using your logic in that this is poised to be a "great year" for Kleinman, why didn't he and KSU achieve last year what CMC and ISU achieved in 2020, which was going 8-2 in conference play, making the conference title game, and winning the Fiesta Bowl?

KSU didn't even have a better conference record as ISU last year and ISU smoked em. So I just fail to see how this season is set up to be like ISU's was last year? We were picked 2nd in the preseason and KSU's at what, 5? Doesn't seem to be the same type of hype. Seems to me that you're creating it out of thin air.

K-State's 2 deeps are not good. Yes, they have a couple of really good players on both sides of the ball but that isn't going to get it done. It's a very CPR like roster...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

K-State is older this year. In 2020 they were ravaged by Covid. ISU was Covid-free for much of that year, particularly for conference play. Plus they were good.

Last year, KSU went bowling and beat LSU. Not bad.

I truly believe Courtney Messingham was a huge negative coupled with Skylar Thompson being oft-injured both in 2020 when he was out most of the year, and 2021, when for example K-State lost at Texas, the worst conference defeat of the Klieman era.

There are no such excuses this season. Veteran QB, all-American running back, and several all-conference-type players going in, plus Collin Klein has replaced Mess. As I wrote, we'll see this fall and then compare that to ISU's 7-6 performance last season.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

You are either

1. A fan with purple blinders on
2. An idiot

K-State is probably middle of the pack in terms of talent (likely 6-8 range) and depth will be a big issue.

But yes, best team ever with huge expectations (currently 5.5-6.5 wins in sports books).

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
You are either

1. A fan with purple blinders on
2. An idiot

K-State is probably middle of the pack in terms of talent (likely 6-8 range) and depth will be a big issue.

But yes, best team ever with huge expectations (currently 5.5-6.5 wins in sports books).
I did not write that this was potentially the best K-State team ever. That's a profoundly bad straw man argument even for you.

And at least give me credit for stating my case before the fact, rather than claiming the credit afterward.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I did not write this was potentially the best K-State team ever. That's a profoundly bad straw man argument even for you.

And at least give me credit for stating my case before the fact, rather than claiming the credit afterward.
Expectations are only large for K-State in your eyes.

That is the difference, so I guess I’ll give you some credit for being a fan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron