Randy Peterson on KXNO

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I have no evidence of this, but I'm starting to wonder if Buckley has already expressed his intentions to leave. That would explain McDermott's reluctance to put him in so he can get some experience for the other guys. Otherwise I just can't see any reason that he can't get any court time. He was playing better at the end of last season than we've seen from Garrett or Colvin to this point.
Buckley can't run. We've tried to do that this season. He's a half court PG.

and DG has been by far the best PG. By far. He's played very solid this season.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My guess is COlvin has expressed interest in leaving and therefor Greg is trying to hold onto him by giving him minutes. That's my guess. I know nothing more than my opinion.

I've thought Colvin was playing to much for a long time now. I just dont' think Buck got a fair shake. Of course I've never been to practice and Buck may not be performing. Something just felt off.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
He goes to practice.

I wasn't referring to his presence at practice - I was referring to his ability to evaluate what he is watching.
I have attended several of Gmac's practices up until this year, and I have yet to see a rebounding drill that involved any kind of intense, physical combat. They were all very low key, dealing with positioning, body turns, etc. Very clinical.
Floyd's drills were brutal, and it showed in the games.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
you know, why is there always so much damn drama surrounding our MBB program? It never used to be this way! Now, every frickin year, there is crazy drama that causes the wheels to fall off the cart.

It makes me sick to my stomach and hard to ever get excited about Cyclone basketball being successful. Seriously, why risk getting excited when the inevitable drama and BS submarine the season?

I am sure there are a ton of you out there just like me that really had a hard time getting too invested in 2009/2010 Cyclone basketball during the preseaon because you were nervous something would derail the apparent 'stacked' team and projected successful season.

I remember it wasn't too long ago when I would be discussing college basketball with friends (many of whom are fans of other programs), and when they would ask me how the Cyclones would be in a particular year, I would have no hesitation saying they were going to be pretty good if that is what I really thought. Now, I am so paranoid of the 'what is coming to **** everything up' that I typically avoid that question/those discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I don't get why everyone is trying to take minutes from DG and Colvin. They were two of the bright spots last night. I don't know where this team would be without DG as he is the only one i trust dribbling the ball against a good defensive team, such as last night.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
you know, why is there always so much damn drama surrounding our MBB program? It never used to be this way! Now, every frickin year, there is crazy drama that causes the wheels to fall off the cart.

It makes me sick to my stomach and hard to ever get excited about Cyclone basketball being successful. Seriously, why risk getting excited when the inevitable drama and BS submarine the season?

I am sure there are a ton of you out there just like me that really had a hard time getting too invested in 2009/2010 Cyclone basketball during the preseaon because you were nervous something would derail the apparent 'stacked' team and projected successful season.

I remember it wasn't too long ago when I would be discussing college basketball with friends (many of whom are fans of other programs), and when they would ask me how the Cyclones would be in a particular year, I would have no hesitation saying they were going to be pretty good if that is what I really thought. Now, I am so paranoid of the 'what is coming to **** everything up' that I typically avoid that question/those discussions.

I am almost positive the drama has always been there. But with the magic of the internet and message boards, what would otherwise be in-house issues become flagrant personal episodes that take on life all their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cjclone

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Actually, he didn't like doing it last year. It's just not in his nature to want to play the post. When he decides that is what he is going to do, he does it very well. But it is like he just must really will himself to do it.

I agree. I didn't say he liked it last year; I said he dominated from it. His perimeter game has been better this year than last, though.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I wasn't referring to his presence at practice - I was referring to his ability to evaluate what he is watching.
I have attended several of Gmac's practices up until this year, and I have yet to see a rebounding drill that involved any kind of intense, physical combat. They were all very low key, dealing with positioning, body turns, etc. Very clinical.

Perhaps GMac has said as much?

Coach = happy with practicies, unhappy with games.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I am almost positive the drama has always been there. But with the magic of the internet and message boards, what would otherwise be in-house issues become flagrant personal episodes that take on life all their own.

+ 1000.

People aren't that different, but now we here about it more than before. It's like finding out how sausage is made.:sad:

Oldgoat

Dec 24, 2008
Gilbert, Iowa
Toughness, both mental and physical (neither of which we seem to consistently display), covers a wealth of sins. As others have noted, Floyd's practices were brutal, and I've heard Eustachy's were no different. Win or lose, their guys generally played hard; with this team toughness seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. I like McD, and I'd like to see him succeed, but from my perspective toughness comes from the coach--and he's not getting it done. This team plays with all the toughness and attitude of cotton candy. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd rather have 5 hard-nosed guys (guys who bang for rebounds, take charges and get on the court for loose balls, play aggressively at both ends of the court, WANT the ball when the games on the line, etc.) out on the court representing my school than a handful of so-called "athletes" who shy away from contact and, for 35 minutes per game, simply go through the motions.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Im sorry but buckley doesnt have half the talent that DG or colvin have, he can probably shoot better but thats about it. Taking minutes away from DG or colvin would be horrible for this team going forward.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Im sorry but buckley doesnt have half the talent that DG or colvin have, he can probably shoot better but thats about it. Taking minutes away from DG or colvin would be horrible for this team going forward.

I like Buckley a ton when I've see him in there. I think he plays under control, handles the ball well, and keeps things moving well. I really like Buckley.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Toughness, both mental and physical (neither of which we seem to consistently display), covers a wealth of sins. As others have noted, Floyd's practices were brutal, and I've heard Eustachy's were no different. Win or lose, their guys generally played hard; with this team toughness seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. I like McD, and I'd like to see him succeed, but from my perspective toughness comes from the coach--and he's not getting it done. This team plays with all the toughness and attitude of cotton candy. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd rather have 5 hard-nosed guys (guys who bang for rebounds, take charges and get on the court for loose balls, play aggressively at both ends of the court, WANT the ball when the games on the line, etc.) out on the court representing my school than a handful of so-called "athletes" who shy away from contact and, for 35 minutes per game, simply go through the motions.

I hope you weren't just trying to discribe the Hawks!

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Its not all about talent. We have a ton of talent, but a severe lack of basketball IQ, mental toughness and physical toughness. If, and its a big if, Buckley can provide in some of those areas beyond what Colvin can, he would give us a better chance to win.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He could do it last year with less talent around him. I refuse to believe that teams are just discovering a better way to cover Craig when we have more offensive weapons on our team. He doesn't like the block this year, and he dominated from it last year.

This.

Sorry Craig - shut up and play. Get physical. You can do it and be great. It's whether you want to or not.

Like I said last week, the team is soft - period. Last night was another example of that. Talent and ability all there - mental toughness and discipline is not.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

The most talent doesn't always make the best player.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

And if you aren't doing physical combat in practice during the rebounding drills, you will not know how to deal with your opponent beating the crapola out of you during game-situation rebounding.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Randy Peterson also said the reason the team was giving up so many offensive rebounds is because they just aren't tough enough. He also stated CB is frustrated because DG and Colvin aren't getting him the ball in good scoring position.

CB doesn't work in the post to get the ball in a good scoring position.