Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The best I could find out it was because another department (engineering) just kind of did it with out it being mandatory (never mind the fact they make considerably more than us) so we should too. From what I found out it got back to HR who shut her down before she could actually do anything.

Glad it got shot down especially since it was just a "because we can thing". In my experience most people don't mind putting in extra effort to get something specific done/finished as long as it doesn't become a full time gig.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Other wrestling thoughts:
Our area wrestler in heavyweight (Fairfield) was wrestling a kid from Bishop Heelan. The back of the Bishop Heelan singlet had a cross on it...

It had the word "Pride" down the middle of the cross...

Which is one of the seven deadly sins.
I get what they were TRYING to do, but...perhaps think about that beforehand?

Awkward is when you're riding the elevator with the wrestler who lost to the class 2A 106 championship match on a stalling penalty in OT. (Against another area wrestler) He didn't have the 1,000 yard stare...closer to 500 yard.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Now I understand why my oldest doesn't hang out with his cousin who is one year older than him. He is one odd duck. Wife said it to me with no prodding on my part. Kid has volume on 11 at all times. Quiet in a room and sitting at a table, he will yell like you are across a parking lot. Reminds me a little of George Mcfly from back to the future. Awkward around everything. Apparently his mom set up "play dates" up to a couple years ago. Felt back for the kid at first but after these several days, he's even too geeky for me.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Two random thoughts for the price of one post:

--Edward Mahoney is really under-rated as an artist.

--What is that dance called the backstreet boys do?

--It's really cool when people talk about politics on Facebook. There are a lot of really caring, courageous empathetic Facebookers.

--Edward Mahoneyis really under-rated as an artist.
I had no idea who that was. Had to look him up lol

I wouldn't have a clue

Reactions: dirtyninety

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I actually feel very similarly about most people's cave personality and outside-cave personalities. For the vast majority of people, if I like (or dislike) you in the cave, then I'll like (or dislike) you outside of it.

For me I was actually surprised at how active some people I thought I had a read on are in there.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Regarding extra work......Americans work longer and harder than any other country in the industrialized world, by far. Most European nations have a 4 day workweek, and much more vacation time than we do. This may help explain why, at least until lately, the U. S. was head and shoulders above everyone else financially.

I'm salaried, too. My company doesn't make unreasonable demands on my time, and for that I am grateful. But I'm with the group who doesn't live to work. Work, to me, is a means of funding those activities that I really want to do.

https://20somethingfinance.com/american-hours-worked-productivity-vacation/

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Biking friends, do you have an indoor bike trainer stand dealio? I don't even know the official name for them. I want to get back on my bike and have thought about getting something in the past to ride during the winter months. I'm looking for recommendations.

I don't but I do bike. We should ride sometime. Are you still up in Ames?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

--Edward Mahoney is really under-rated as an artist.

--It's really cool when people talk about politics on Facebook. There are a lot of really caring, courageous empathetic Facebookers.
1. I also had to look him up and he is under-rated. he's had a plethora of hit songs.

2. I don't know the name of the dance but they were pretty talented as dancers. As musicians, not so much.

3. The Facebook commenters are a caring bunch. My rule of thumb is that if somebody wants to talk politics, I probably don't want to talk politics with them because their mind is already made up and it ain't changing. I generally like engaging with most people though and I'll happily switch the topic.

• Friendly

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Regarding extra work......Americans work longer and harder than any other country in the industrialized world, by far. Most European nations have a 4 day workweek, and much more vacation time than we do. This may help explain why, at least until lately, the U. S. was head and shoulders above everyone else financially.

I'm salaried, too. My company doesn't make unreasonable demands on my time, and for that I am grateful. But I'm with the group who doesn't live to work. Work, to me, is a means of funding those activities that I really want to do.

https://20somethingfinance.com/american-hours-worked-productivity-vacation/

It is going to be interesting to see how my generation handles this. We are now the largest generation in the workforce so do we fall to the status quo or promote more flexibility.

Engineering week=endless food for engineers.

I got a bike trainer last year and used it almost every weekend (can't leave it up during the week due to space). With doing FXB and time I have not gotten it out yet this year but might have an opportunity this weekend to do so.

Reactions: SCyclone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Randomly looked up Zaycon to see what they have soon. See pork loins for $2.99/lb on the 6th...then I notice that it it sold out and I can't make it to Ames/DSM area on the 5th to get it there. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron