Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Been having some interesting discussions at work lately on the number of hours that are required to work. A manager wants to make it mandatory for everyone to work a minimum of 45 hours instead of 40.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Been having some interesting discussions at work lately on the number of hours that are required to work. A manager wants to make it mandatory for everyone to work a minimum of 45 hours instead of 40.

I dislike that as a country with workers more productive than ever.......the amount of time people are expected to work continues to increase rather than decrease as it had been for prior generations. Technology seems to have only increased the expectations of availability.

This came up a bit here recently too. Told that we should be thinking about how to improve what we do when we get home and on weekends. Umm, I have a life. I don't live to work and I do not want thinking about or doing work to become a regular part of my personal life. I understand if things are busy or urgent, but not as a regular thing. And quite frankly, you aren't offering to pay me more and my time isn't free.

I imagine this manager is not planning to hand out 12% raises to everyone to offset this expectation?

• Winner
Reactions: oldman and wxman1

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Primary for the Wisconsin Supreme Court, so not a super high profile election. I think it's stupid that Wisconsin votes for the Supreme Court in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.
On balance, I like the way Iowa does it with appointment and then subsequent retention votes. ELECTING JUDGES IS ALWAYS BAD!!!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I just got done voting too! I think I was number 10, so I'm sure this is going to be a pretty low turnout race. Side note, but I hate that to vote I need to both show my student voter ID (which is different than my student ID because conveniently Wisconsin Law requires my voter ID to have a signature) and pull up my class schedule on my phone to confirm I'm a student. I'm thinking, "lady, I'm a guy in my twenties, wearing a backpack on the UW-Madison campus voting in a supreme court primary and I'm already on the roll and you've seen my id. Why the **** would I be trying to commit voter fraud?" But she was sympathetic and complaining about how stupid it was too.

This isn't about voter fraud, it's about making it harder to vote for people they do not want to vote. In this case, students.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I dislike that as a country with workers more productive than ever.......the amount of time people are expected to work continues to increase rather than decrease as it had been for prior generations. Technology seems to have only increased the expectations of availability.

This came up a bit here recently too. Told that we should be thinking about how to improve what we do when we get home and on weekends. Umm, I have a life. I don't live to work and I do not want thinking about or doing work to become a regular part of my personal life. I understand if things are busy or urgent, but not as a regular thing. And quite frankly, you aren't offering to pay me more and my time isn't free.

I imagine this manager is not planning to hand out 12% raises to everyone to offset this expectation?

I am sure there are some interesting studies out there on this especially when it comes to generations. It was pretty much "XYZ department everyone is pretty much doing this already so we should too". From what I understand HR was told about this awhile ago and slapped her hand. My stance and agreement has and will be that there will be times that you have to do more to get the job done but we will work together to make sure that doesn't become the norm or is a long term issue. That's what I have said in every interview and I have obviously gotten jobs so to me that was somewhat of a contractual agreement.

They would not be giving a raise so my response was pretty much
1. You give me a 12% raise
and/or
2. You put me on a 9/80 schedule (I did this in Wichita and would again if the work was there to support it)

Another complaint I had was why stop at 45? What is stopping them from waiting 5-10 more years and increasing it more. Wither it is an unspoken requirement or not the increased hours (my boss does 9-10 hours at work and at least another hour at home every night) is already turning me off from moving up much more. Kudos to those that do but I have a family and my job is not more important than them and my time to relax. Just because you are paying me more and I am salary does not mean I have to work more.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My timecard is expected to be 43.75 at minimum. Still hate the fact that I am salaried and have to fill out a timecard.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I enjoyed the Olympic ice dancing competition.

Obligatory+_f88ca37fd89a45bbbdaed243eb3106a6.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary for the Wisconsin Supreme Court, so not a super high profile election. I think it's stupid that Wisconsin votes for the Supreme Court in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.
Looked at the ballot, other than SC it's a county board supervisor and 2 school districts for board members which neither apply to me, so I'll pass today.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Looked at the ballot, other than SC it's a county board supervisor and 2 school districts for board members which neither apply to me, so I'll pass today.
Yours is more exciting than mine. Mine just had the SC primary. And yeah, I always feel weird about voting for school board considering that I don't have kids

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I was so hoping the Canadians would win. Watched them in both prior Olympics. But now I hope the French win next time. That really sucked with her costume.
They came out of it better than the other couple, though. Helluva choice for those women to make - keep smiling & skating, or grab for your costume and hope for the best points-wise, or stop skating altogether and give up on your Olympic dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron