Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So, with the progressive lenses, I can't hold books where I used to without a total blur. Now it has to look weird as I make sure it's far enough away to read.
Weird.

Bifocals or Tri's? It took me about 3-4 days to get used to bifocals when I made the switch from conventional lenses.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Neither one yet. Just the elementary progressive lenses.
On the way to one of those others in a few years.

Huh, I think I must have skipped those. But I've been wearing corrective lenses since 4th grade (a loooong time ago) Did contacts for quite a few yrs then went back to glasses because of a more dusty work place. Never did seriously look into Lasik, no idea if it would have been a good choice or not never wanted to spend the money.

Have you heard back from DMACC or ISU for the fall? Good luck on those positions or any others you have out there.

Reactions: cyrevkah

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Huh, I think I must have skipped those. But I've been wearing corrective lenses since 4th grade (a loooong time ago) Did contacts for quite a few yrs then went back to glasses because of a more dusty work place. Never did seriously look into Lasik, no idea if it would have been a good choice or not never wanted to spend the money.

Have you heard back from DMACC or ISU for the fall? Good luck on those positions or any others you have out there.

No word from either one thus far.
Course at DMACC has 2 students enrolled, but that's tenuous at best.
ISU hasn't gotten back. That depends on whether one guy moves on.

Another job reached out to me, so I sent them everything immediately and haven't heard back for a month. They didn't respond well to my last follow-up, so I'm hanging quietly right now. Pretty sure they saw my degree and walked away.

I see a different temp job with DMACC in Ames opened up today. They probably have someone in mind, and it's just part-time for an unspecified amount of time, but it pays well for that. Much better than they pay teachers there.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrevkah and NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So, with the progressive lenses, I can't hold books where I used to without a total blur. Now it has to look weird as I make sure it's far enough away to read.
Weird.
Hopefully you'll get used to them. I love mine. Lew wears lined bi-focals; I tried them and I'm always bobbing my head trying to find the right lens.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My son and a friend are baking cookies and brownies right now. This doesn't sound like a fun clean up job. The first thing my son did was put in un-melted butter into the powder and ask how you're supposed to mix butter into the powder.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well, that escalated quickly. :eek: Went from no storms forecast to instant thunderstorm. Was out biking and beat it home by a couple of blocks except for some ice cold big drops. Didn't roll in so much as just generated right on top of us. @wxman1 would like it. Now we got ground contact lightening and instant ground fog. Dew point was 73 and this rain is COLD.

Only went biking because some of you are working in this humidity. It didn't seem right to laz in A/C comfort. :rolleyes:

Nice! Developing storms are the best!

Anxiety is in high gear with guests arriving tomorrow.

CBS has a great special on Apollo 11 tonight.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrevkah

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I've been wearing bifocals (with the line) for several years now. I never remember having difficulty with them, even at first. But I also have a special pair to use at work, the lens is all the bigger magnification (the lower part of my regular bifocals). Since I'm looking at a computer screen a majority of the time, I don't have to tip my head back to read.

That's how I knew it was time for bifocals - my arms weren't long enough. (I'm farsighted, so if I move printed material further away, I can actually see it better.)

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Speaking of cousins. How wide is the age range for most. My oldest cousin is around 75 and my youngest is roughly 35 I have cousins whose kids are quite a bit older than me. There are roughly 30 of us one the one side of my family. My kids have cousins that are 42 down to my youngest of 12 and my youngest is also younger than one of his cousin's kids and there are only 7 on my side for them.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My oldest living cousin is in her early 80's, I think the youngest would be nearly 40. I have way more second and third cousins than first.....families just aren't as large as they used to be.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Speaking of cousins. How wide is the age range for most. My oldest cousin is around 75 and my youngest is roughly 35 I have cousins whose kids are quite a bit older than me. There are roughly 30 of us one the one side of my family. My kids have cousins that are 42 down to my youngest of 12 and my youngest is also younger than one of his cousin's kids and there are only 7 on my side for them.

That is a lot of numbers for my brain but I only have cousins on one side and they range from 40ish to me at almost 30. There are 10 of us in that generation.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
I've been wearing bifocals (with the line) for several years now. I never remember having difficulty with them, even at first. But I also have a special pair to use at work, the lens is all the bigger magnification (the lower part of my regular bifocals). Since I'm looking at a computer screen a majority of the time, I don't have to tip my head back to read.

That's how I knew it was time for bifocals - my arms weren't long enough. (I'm farsighted, so if I move printed material further away, I can actually see it better.)
I tried progressive lenses and they didn’t work at all. I couldn’t see distance or close. I switched to a bifocal, which is better, but I still don’t like it. I wear contacts most of the time and in the morning before I put them in I wear my old glasses, which are fine for close but no good for distance. I only wear the bifocals for driving when not wearing contacts. Thank God I can still wear contacts (with readers when needed).

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Nice! Developing storms are the best!

Anxiety is in high gear with guests arriving tomorrow.

CBS has a great special on Apollo 11 tonight.

dude you should be watching American Experience on PBS this month. DH has been trying to catch a bunch of it - all about the Space race.

Reactions: wxman1

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I tried progressive lenses and they didn’t work at all. I couldn’t see distance or close. I switched to a bifocal, which is better, but I still don’t like it. I wear contacts most of the time and in the morning before I put them in I wear my old glasses, which are fine for close but no good for distance. I only wear the bifocals for driving when not wearing contacts. Thank God I can still wear contacts (with readers when needed).

I wish I could use contacts, but with my prescription it just doesn't work. My left eye is not perfectly round - it's kind flattened front-to-back - so the image doesn't display properly on the retina. Technically I'm 20/50 in that eye. The left lens in my glasses is about 1/4" thick because of this - they're real ant-killers.

Reactions: JMA1125

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
dude you should be watching American Experience on PBS this month. DH has been trying to catch a bunch of it - all about the Space race.

I watched the first episode, about the Apollo program. I vividly remember watching them land on the moon.....I had hoped they would land on my birthday (which as a matter of fact is today), but it was three days later on July 20. Nonetheless a fantastic moment in our history.

Reactions: cowgirl836
Status
Not open for further replies.