Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

One of my classmates was shot by his wife, not that many years ago back in the old hometown area. She had been ranting on FB about them arguing a lot on FB just before she shot him. :oops: In prison now, wasn't one of those abuse defense situations, copped a plea to voluntary manslaughter, kidnapping and going armed with intent.

All of the FB postings on missing people, stolen vehicles and murders in my little old town area looks to me to out pace that in my 20,000 population suburb. Most of the FB postings I see on the two local town pages I follow here are about lost dogs and potholes. o_O Of course, most people who get murdered are murdered by people they know.

• Friendly
Reactions: wxman1

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
There were about 175 in my class at good ol' Humboldt High School, which was an all-time record (at that time). My daughter graduated in a class of 450+ in Fort Dodge. My wife had about 70 in her class over in Manson, IA. (No, it has nothing to do with Charlie.)

But perspective is everything......

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
From a global study on homicide, prepared by the United Nations:

“While the vast majority of homicide victims are men, killed by strangers, women are far more likely to die at the hands of someone they know,” according to the report. “Women killed by intimate partners or family account for 58 percent of all female homicide victims reported globally last year, and little progress has been made in preventing such murders.”

I didn't realize the gender difference was that startling. The study went on to say that in the United States, fully 40% of all murders go unsolved. More alarming.....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
From a global study on homicide, prepared by the United Nations:

“While the vast majority of homicide victims are men, killed by strangers, women are far more likely to die at the hands of someone they know,” according to the report. “Women killed by intimate partners or family account for 58 percent of all female homicide victims reported globally last year, and little progress has been made in preventing such murders.”

I didn't realize the gender difference was that startling. The study went on to say that in the United States, fully 40% of all murders go unsolved. More alarming.....
With 40% of their sample size taken right off the top it seems tough to be so confident that the vast majority of men are killed by strangers.

I realize that some numbers are world-wide and others are national, but still seems somewhat statistically concerning.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
With 40% of their sample size taken right off the top it seems tough to be so confident that the vast majority of men are killed by strangers.

I realize that some numbers are world-wide and others are national, but still seems somewhat statistically concerning.

Good point. I would venture those murders committed by people who know their victim(s) are crimes of passion, and hence subject to mistakes (sloppiness). This would probably increase their chances of getting caught.

But no matter how careful the killer is, he (or she) always leaves something of himself at the scene, and always takes something with him.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There were about 175 in my class at good ol' Humboldt High School, which was an all-time record (at that time). My daughter graduated in a class of 450+ in Fort Dodge. My wife had about 70 in her class over in Manson, IA. (No, it has nothing to do with Charlie.)

But perspective is everything......
I'd never have guessed Humboldt was that big of classes.

Though I guess if I combined BGHS and Algona into a single class it would have been about that size when I graduated a decade ago.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I've probably posted this fact more than once...

737 in my HS graduating class.

1094 in my sister's four years later.

They're three separate high schools now.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well busy day on the road get home thinking of either bike ride or mowing lawn instead temp drops 5 degrees+, wind picks up and thunder. welp maybe tomorrow.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Was mowing the yard and my neighborhood got buzzed by a B2. I thought the air show was cancelled this year so I'm not sure what it was doing up here.
Maybe lost.

Opening game of the College World Series championship. Michigan beat Vanderbilt 7-4. Michigan was one of the last at-large bids to get into the field of 64. They beat #1 UCLA at UCLA in a best of 3 to make it to Omaha.

Reactions: SCyclone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Opening game of the College World Series championship. Michigan beat Vanderbilt 7-4. Michigan was one of the last at-large bids to get into the field of 64. They beat #1 UCLA at UCLA in a best of 3 to make it to Omaha.
I guess from a timing perspective that would have been right. Surprised they would use a B2.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Was mowing the yard and my neighborhood got buzzed by a B2. I thought the air show was cancelled this year so I'm not sure what it was doing up here.
Maybe lost.

Shhh @BoxsterCy they only want you to believe that SAC is dead.

I guess from a timing perspective that would have been right. Surprised they would use a B2.

Make the request, they combine it with a training mission (good time over target practice) and cross your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron