Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I've had a package sitting in a random post office in Missouri for 5 days. They scanned it in but haven't sent it out.
USPS is the da debil.

Our local one is horrible. Since October/November last year we haven't had daily mail service (sometimes it will be over a week in between) and packages are constantly delivered to the wrong home or parcel box. This time last year packages were delivered 4-6 weeks after they had arrived at the local PO.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
USPS is the da debil.

Our local one is horrible. Since October/November last year we haven't had daily mail service (sometimes it will be over a week in between) and packages are constantly delivered to the wrong home or parcel box. This time last year packages were delivered 4-6 weeks after they had arrived at the local PO.
Holy cow what state if you don't mind sharing.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Holy cow what state if you don't mind sharing.
Minnesota.

Otsego is the town we live in - NW of the Twin Cities. Otsego doesn't have their own PO and the city is split between multiple zip codes/post offices from neighboring towns. (Our neighborhood isn't the only area to have issues.) We moved here in June 2022 and until the end of October '22 didn't have issues with mail service, package deliveries, etc. I talked with one of the postal workers (he liked our ISU flag and gnome) and he said our neighborhood does not have a dedicated route driver, but it was getting big enough it should be.

It's a very fast growing area. The PO we have is short staffed, supposedly has had issues filling open positions and has had off/on issues with employees gone due to illness/injuries. I also read (so not sure if it's true) that they've gone through 3 managers in the past year. My next door neighbor talked to the PO manager last year about the issues and was told she should shop local instead of ordering anything online.

All that said, anyone that lives in Otsego with a different zip code than ours does not have issues with their mail.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
USPS is the da debil.

Mail service has gone down here. The local post office is a mess with a couple of the worst gals in the history of the USPS working the counters. Our mail carrier service has always been good but think that comes out of another office. Bad news is that our long time carrier took another route and her replacement, who was also very good, seems to have also moved on. Nothing but substitute peeps for the last few months. Seems like a different guy/gal every day Sometime the mail doesn't get to my street till 6 p.m. Think they struggle with doing the route efficiently.

Reactions: RLD4ISU

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
USPS is the da debil.

Are you rural? We live near the end of a private gravel lane (5th house out of 6). We have a Bobcat, and we do the winter snow removal on the lane. We went for about 10 days without mail one winter when both of us were still working. We finally contacted the post office. Turns out our contracted carrier didn't like the slight slope starting just before our house because it gets "icy". He's driving a 4wd jeep and the woman in the sixth house had a small compact and was going to work daily, so waaaaahhhh for him. USPS told us that since it was a private lane they didn't have to deliver; that we could put a set of mailboxes out on the main road if we wanted daily delivery...or rent a box at the post office...
We compromised & moved our mailbox up to the edge of our property (before the slope), and told them if they put our neighbor's mail in it as well we would take it down to her mailbox since he was too scared to drive to the end of the lane. We've been here 20 years now. That was the only time a carrier "couldn't" make the drive to the end of the lane...he only lasted that winter (apparently there were a LOT of complaints about him not delivering, even on main roads).

The gal we have now is great. I honestly think she could deliver mail on the ice highways in Alaska if she had a mind to!

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Are you rural?

We live in one of the new housing developments.

I think Otsego is split between 3-5 zip codes. We don’t have a city PD, Fire dept or PO. The town has grown from a population of 13,000 in 2010 to 24,000 in 2022. Otsego was a township in 1858 and the township incorporated as a city in 1990.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Are you rural? We live near the end of a private gravel lane (5th house out of 6). We have a Bobcat, and we do the winter snow removal on the lane. We went for about 10 days without mail one winter when both of us were still working. We finally contacted the post office. Turns out our contracted carrier didn't like the slight slope starting just before our house because it gets "icy". He's driving a 4wd jeep and the woman in the sixth house had a small compact and was going to work daily, so waaaaahhhh for him. USPS told us that since it was a private lane they didn't have to deliver; that we could put a set of mailboxes out on the main road if we wanted daily delivery...or rent a box at the post office...
We compromised & moved our mailbox up to the edge of our property (before the slope), and told them if they put our neighbor's mail in it as well we would take it down to her mailbox since he was too scared to drive to the end of the lane. We've been here 20 years now. That was the only time a carrier "couldn't" make the drive to the end of the lane...he only lasted that winter (apparently there were a LOT of complaints about him not delivering, even on main roads).

The gal we have now is great. I honestly think she could deliver mail on the ice highways in Alaska if she had a mind to!

Rose's mail vehicle was a complete piece of junk. It couldn't make it up the 10% slope starting at my house in the winter so she parked at my house and walked it up. I used to shovel her out a parking spot. Asked her about the vehicle and was shocked to find out it was decades old. Saw it towed a few times.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Rose's mail vehicle was a complete piece of junk. It couldn't make it up the 10% slope starting at my house in the winter so she parked at my house and walked it up. I used to shovel her out a parking spot. Asked her about the vehicle and was shocked to find out it was decades old. Saw it towed a few times.
I think the little white mail trucks were mostly manufactured in the early 90s. Which is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron