Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Got out paddling/fishing last night and today in a Madison lake and out of town.

Good 'reconnection' with seeing some fish, turtles, etc. Even a large softshell sunbathing which I don't believe I'd ever seen before.

Took forever to feel warm enough to get out there but holy cow that was needed.

A guy fell out of his kayak at the local lake and had to be rescued by the DNR. life vest was in the boat but not on. He was out in the middle and the wind came up supposedly he was about half mile from shore.

Good ending for what could have been a bad situation.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A guy fell out of his kayak at the local lake and had to be rescued by the DNR. life vest was in the boat but not on. He was out in the middle and the wind came up supposedly he was about half mile from shore.

Good ending for what could have been a bad situation.

Every year there are reports of deaths in the WI River and nearly every single time it's due to lack of life jacket. It's not deep but the sand bars give out and the current is deceiving.

I only remove mine when along/close to shore (in lakes) or in small shallow backwater spots like I was today.

It really doesn't take much. People can access their own risks but I can't imagine the feeling of going out like that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Had these on a plane a couple years ago and they might be the great most decadent snack mini-cookie ever made. So, of course, they are out of stock everywhere and maybe not made anymore even though they are still "listed" by the company.

44000051761.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1 and NWICY

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Hamilton was great as expected and lived up to the hype IMO. Soundguy had a rough day with at least one cough that didn't get muted, soft mics at times and a couple of late hot mics.

I always love the hundred feet or so of 330 just south of Harvester that takes you through three counties. Start in either Polk or Marshall and have a heart beat or two in Story.

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Huh, anyone else having trouble opening up the twitter links people are providing on CF today? I haven't got one to open yet. Worked yesterday or whenever I think.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Huh, anyone else having trouble opening up the twitter links people are providing on CF today? I haven't got one to open yet. Worked yesterday or whenever I think.
They usually work but take a longer time than usual. Sometimes I refresh the page or leave and come back, then it works. Elon must be practicing.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Small Kindnesses
By Danusha Laméris

I’ve been thinking about the way, when you walk
down a crowded aisle, people pull in their legs
to let you by. Or how strangers still say “bless you”
when someone sneezes, a leftover
from the Bubonic plague. “Don’t die,” we are saying.
And sometimes, when you spill lemons
from your grocery bag, someone else will help you
pick them up. Mostly, we don’t want to harm each other.
We want to be handed our cup of coffee hot,
and to say thank you to the person handing it. To smile
at them and for them to smile back. For the waitress
to call us honey when she sets down the bowl of clam chowder,
and for the driver in the red pick-up truck to let us pass.
We have so little of each other, now. So far
from tribe and fire. Only these brief moments of exchange.
What if they are the true dwelling of the holy, these
fleeting temples we make together when we say, “Here,
have my seat,” “Go ahead — you first,” “I like your hat.”

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just watched this "Disability Sensitivity Training Video" after I saw the link in a weekly email I get from another land grant university communications staff. It's less than 4 min. I hope it will give you pause and make you smile, too.
Nice. When they can use a little humor they keep people's attention and get the message to more people. I love that there were some training videos out there with John Cleese years ago. People who didn't even need the training wanted to watch them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just watched this "Disability Sensitivity Training Video" after I saw the link in a weekly email I get from another land grant university communications staff. It's less than 4 min. I hope it will give you pause and make you smile, too.
Nice, should post in the formula thread for the person who thinks using a variant of a special needs derogatory word is totally satisfactory.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Small Kindnesses
By Danusha Laméris

I’ve been thinking about the way, when you walk
down a crowded aisle, people pull in their legs
to let you by. Or how strangers still say “bless you”
when someone sneezes, a leftover
from the Bubonic plague. “Don’t die,” we are saying.
And sometimes, when you spill lemons
from your grocery bag, someone else will help you
pick them up. Mostly, we don’t want to harm each other.
We want to be handed our cup of coffee hot,
and to say thank you to the person handing it. To smile
at them and for them to smile back. For the waitress
to call us honey when she sets down the bowl of clam chowder,
and for the driver in the red pick-up truck to let us pass.
We have so little of each other, now. So far
from tribe and fire. Only these brief moments of exchange.
What if they are the true dwelling of the holy, these
fleeting temples we make together when we say, “Here,
have my seat,” “Go ahead — you first,” “I like your hat.”
Thank you for posting.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nice, should post in the formula thread for the person who thinks using a variant of a special needs derogatory word is totally satisfactory.

I'll stop here but I'd guess someone calls it 'woke' to suggest not using that kind of language or suggesting person first.

The 'woke' thing has gone too far in many respects but so has the 'what's so bad about being horrible to someone?' movement.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'll stop here but I'd guess someone calls it 'woke' to suggest not using that kind of language or suggesting person first.

The 'woke' thing has gone too far in many respects but so has the 'what's so bad about being horrible to someone?' movement.
I think in this case it was actually a person who would consider themselves woke not being very woke. If it's the instance i saw. Regardless it's bad.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That's why I stick with the classics like "dumb ****".

The Bugs Bunny "What a maroon" is always good but will inevitably, like the "German's bombing Pearl Harbor" joke, result in someone correcting your spelling or history. :rolleyes:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think in this case it was actually a person who would consider themselves woke not being very woke. If it's the instance i saw. Regardless it's bad.
Yep, jumped them before about using the word and all they did was say it wasn’t bad and called me names. Stuck them on ignore now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron