Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Scratched my cornea taking my contact out last night so today has been fun. Fairly mild and I could at least live with sunglasses by this afternoon.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My day didn't quite start like I planned either. Blood donation appt at 7:30. Did questionnaire at home first, ready for checkin, new person at the front desk, gave me the small heat pad right away for the blood test - weird. Didn't really recognize a single person there, although my "person" was great. No more finger prick for hemoglobin level, now they clamp a tool around your left thumb and it measures while you sit as motionless as possible -- while relaxing of course -- for about a minute. My level was 11.9 both times. Don't think it's ever been that low. Couldn't donate so rescheduled for a week from now. I haven't changed anything in the past eight weeks, so am frustrated at this low level and that I couldn't donate today. Went to Starbucks anyway on the way to work. Sigh.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Forgot to say that I volunteered at the opening ceremonies last night for the Special Olympics Iowa summer games. It's held in Hilton Coliseum and they usually try to have an ISU "celebrity" there. This time (via recorded video) David Montgomery gave a short rah-rah kind of pep talk and when he ended with "Go Cyclones" everyone cheered. I always enjoy this event.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My day didn't quite start like I planned either. Blood donation appt at 7:30. Did questionnaire at home first, ready for checkin, new person at the front desk, gave me the small heat pad right away for the blood test - weird. Didn't really recognize a single person there, although my "person" was great. No more finger prick for hemoglobin level, now they clamp a tool around your left thumb and it measures while you sit as motionless as possible -- while relaxing of course -- for about a minute. My level was 11.9 both times. Don't think it's ever been that low. Couldn't donate so rescheduled for a week from now. I haven't changed anything in the past eight weeks, so am frustrated at this low level and that I couldn't donate today. Went to Starbucks anyway on the way to work. Sigh.
I just wanted to say thank you to all of those that donate blood. I've donated a few times but have a tendency to almost pass out. I take the precautions, but I think it is a mental thing now. Last time I tried to donate, the person messed up and I had to stop part way through (ended up having a lot of bruising on my arm). I am O negative so I get asked to donate a lot, but I appreciate those that regularly do.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Ms3r4ISU

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Forgot to say that I volunteered at the opening ceremonies last night for the Special Olympics Iowa summer games. It's held in Hilton Coliseum and they usually try to have an ISU "celebrity" there. This time (via recorded video) David Montgomery gave a short rah-rah kind of pep talk and when he ended with "Go Cyclones" everyone cheered. I always enjoy this event.
This event was one of my favorite as a student

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
A+, just like everything else about me. I think my last one was around 15, no finger poke then also.
So you're saying everything's better and earlier north of Ames? ;)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you have any family members, inlaws, or whatever, that you are forced to spend some time with off and on; do you prefer to force general small talk or just sit in silence and talk to those that you feel you can carry a conversation with? I don't have issues sitting in silence for hours at a time (when I'm in the field or hauling grain, I rarely have a radio on and am absorbed in my work or am just patient) and not talking to just talk. Ive been told recently that some people feel I'm just ignoring them because I may just talk to my kids or a few other people and not talk with them. I have no common interests with them and honestly don't even care for them that much, so I just hang out. I don't care if they don't talk to me.

Reactions: wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.