Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
No tracks at our house either, because the neighborhood buck right walked down the shoveled walk and driveway, looked both ways for traffic and strolled up the street. Lucky for him it was Saturday, since he took his walk during prime evening commute time.

If you didn't know, deer commonly herd up in severe storms/cold, so one may see 50 deer or none.

Best effort on Wordle today, in 3.

Saw several large wood rats eying my Japanese yew shrubs earlier in the week. They pretty much devoured my neighbors shrubs and their one yew tree. Sprayed another coating of Liquid Fence on mine again (aka super stink icky taste)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We have a fairly decent herd in our woods - they yard up in a stand of scrub cedar about a half mile away to the NE, and make a twice daily trek from there along the creek to the meadows by the larger creek to the NW that our runoff creek feeds into. They also come down from the SW across our lane and our drive, through our front yard, and down to the creek between the house and the garagemahal about 30 yards away.
I guess my observation was in agreement with your comment about herding up. generally we see the tracks the next day. Matter of fact, last year they even tamped out a heart shape in our front yard. This snow is the deepest level we've had in a while, deep enough to convince them to "stay home". :D
We had no tracks Friday night. Back yard was full of them this morning. I joke that they decided to wait until the streets were somewhat cleared before they came to tour the neighborhood birdfeeders.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Saw several large wood rats eying my Japanese yew shrubs earlier in the week. They pretty much devoured my neighbors shrubs and their one yew tree. Sprayed another coating of Liquid Fence on mine again (aka super stink icky taste)

You've experienced the fact that although almost all parts of yews are extremely poisonous to humans and most if not all domestic animals, deer aren't affected.

FWIW, Dial soap is supposed to be a fairly durable, cheap deer repellent, according to a trial of numerous substances by one of the extension services, maybe Illinois. Haven't tried it personally.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You've experienced the fact that although almost all parts of yews are extremely poisonous to humans and most if not all domestic animals, deer aren't affected.

FWIW, Dial soap is supposed to be a fairly durable, cheap deer repellent, according to a trial of numerous substances by one of the extension services, maybe Illinois. Haven't tried it personally.
I may try that on my lilies next spring. Those buds are like ambrosia to the local population.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

It's weird that it's not only not poisonous to them it seems like they think of it as winter candy. If I spray the Liquid Fence occasionally, say every two/three weeks it's been very effective.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Supper with one of the nieces and her husband pizza, beer and FB. It was a good time.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Thanks for the input last night!

Need to figure out if we are going to be able to make it to a MBB game with the family this year....

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Totally forgot about the Amazing Race. Phil said they were in the 3rd leg when they had to shut down, but they ended up being able to finish. The 15:17 To Paris guy is one of the contestants.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Anyone else remember/listen to Baxter Black? He retired last month due to health reasons and his wife announced Friday he’s in hospice care. I so admired his words and voice, and how he used both to share wit and wisdom. https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1038951&mid=9440378#M9440378

Should have explained he’s the Cowboy Poet and former large animal vet.

Well shoot he always wrote good columns. Didn't realize this was going on. He was a regular in HPJ. Great voice also.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Son left for college. Afterwards, I realized that this was the last long break I will ever spend with him. Does make me sad to know it’s weekends at best from here on out.

Dang is he a Sr already? Wow time flies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dang is he a Sr already? Wow time flies.
3rd year. He is in the fast tract. Was offered a choice of jobs this last week. Thinking neither may have tripped his trigger.

I found my old interview tie a few days ago. Asked him if he wanted my good luck tie, told him 7 interviews and 7 offers with it. He said it could be a jinx and was fine without it. It’s still a nice tie.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
3rd year. He is in the fast tract. Was offered a choice of jobs this last week. Thinking neither may have tripped his trigger.

I found my old interview tie a few days ago. Asked him if he wanted my good luck tie, told him 7 interviews and 7 offers with it. He said it could be a jinx and was fine without it. It’s still a nice tie.

Do they even wear ties to interviews anymore? As casual as things have become I honestly have no idea. Been a long time since I've had a formal interview. I knew the job for the last one I applied for so I made the personal choice to no tie if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.