Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
--there's apparently an adult nudeiish campground north of Black River Falls. I did not stop.
Not even for pictures?
It's basically impossible not to contribute to pollution in the world, but I can't understand why people can't just do the basics. Forests and campsites aren't landfills.
I see that all the time. People just throw their trash out of the car. Is it that difficult to throw it in the trash can at the gas pump or just hold onto it until you get home?
All the trash on the sides of the road that I see while out walking is just sad.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not even for pictures?

I see that all the time. People just throw their trash out of the car. Is it that difficult to throw it in the trash can at the gas pump or just hold onto it until you get home?
All the trash on the sides of the road that I see while out walking is just sad.
Seems to have gotten worse. After the bottle bill decades ago, things started to clean up, seems to have reversed course lately.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Seems to have gotten worse. After the bottle bill decades ago, things started to clean up, seems to have reversed course lately.
The generation that grew up in the depression were retired saw it as free money so they would go out pick up all the bottles and cans along the roadways. While they were out there they would pick up trash as well.

Drive around in rural Virginia, all sorts of trash on the sides of the road because they don't have trash collection, they have to drop it off at different sites that are only open during business hours. When I used to visit mom and dad we would have to drop off the trash and recycling. Fortunately the drop off was on the main road into town so we would just stop when going into town.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Muskies will be heading into the shallows to spawn, if they haven't already. I'd be careful wading if I was you.

Ha, likely done by now and you can officially target them north of Hwy 10 starting next weekend, open everywhere else I believe.

I DID almost step on a mid-sized snapping turtle though in the morning. Had my wading boots so would have been fine but that's quite a startling way to start the day.

• Wow
Reactions: SCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not even for pictures?

RE: photos. Totally judging but looking around at the area this place is in, I'd guess pictures aren't needed.

Trash: my site was littered with beer cans, all over the place including into the forested area behind it. There was also some stuff from the fire bin...looked like it either blew out or the embers popped and launched stuff out. Looked like some little fires had started several feet from the bin.

So they not only trashed the place, but were also careless with their fire, only to make it worse that that area is under a high risk for fires currently.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ha, likely done by now and you can officially target them north of Hwy 10 starting next weekend, open everywhere else I believe.

I DID almost step on a mid-sized snapping turtle though in the morning. Had my wading boots so would have been fine but that's quite a startling way to start the day.

Freaking snapping turtles, the only animal that I think is ornery every day they are alive. A guy I knew picked up a big one on the way to work one day threw it in his pick up bed, that SOB scratched the hell out his paint job escaping, box and sides were all scraped up bad where it climbed out.
There was a a creek that was at the back of a place I lived at every year during the spring there would be a influx of them picking them up with a long handled sand shovel and putting them back in the creek worked pretty well. The big ones you just kind of had to push them back to the creek with the shovel.

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Freaking snapping turtles, the only animal that I think is ornery every day they are alive. A guy I knew picked up a big one on the way to work one day threw it in his pick up bed, that SOB scratched the hell out his paint job escaping, box and sides were all scraped up bad where it climbed out.
There was a a creek that was at the back of a place I lived at every year during the spring there would be a influx of them picking them up with a long handled sand shovel and putting them back in the creek worked pretty well. The big ones you just kind of had to push them back to the creek with the shovel.

Yeah occasionally I'll be standing there in the water and one will pop up. This one looked like it wasn't awake. Just like anything else I keep my distance and thus far (fingers crossed) haven't been nipped.

The bolded: that's the guy's fault for putting it in the truck, haha.

Trying to hold onto something that's in constant survival mode probably won't go well.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah occasionally I'll be standing there in the water and one will pop up. This one looked like it wasn't awake. Just like anything else I keep my distance and thus far (fingers crossed) haven't been nipped.

The bolded: that's the guy's fault for putting it in the truck, haha.

Trying to hold onto something that's in constant survival mode probably won't go well.

A guy I knew in Wi. would collect a stock tank full of them during the spring changing the water regular to clean them up, then butcher them after a month or so. He made some really good turtle soup and I think he fried some of them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
RE: photos. Totally judging but looking around at the area this place is in, I'd guess pictures aren't needed.

Trash: my site was littered with beer cans, all over the place including into the forested area behind it. There was also some stuff from the fire bin...looked like it either blew out or the embers popped and launched stuff out. Looked like some little fires had started several feet from the bin.

So they not only trashed the place, but were also careless with their fire, only to make it worse that that area is under a high risk for fires currently.
There is a chance that it was underage kids. Underage kids have a tendency to not want to recycle beer cans for some reason.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A guy I knew in Wi. would collect a stock tank full of them during the spring changing the water regular to clean them up, then butcher them after a month or so. He made some really good turtle soup and I think he fried some of them.
A group in Northeast Winnebago county had a direct sale line to Japan or someplace around there and raised snapping turtles. It paid like a full time job and they basically penned in a small pond at each place.

Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There is a chance that it was underage kids. Underage kids have a tendency to not want to recycle beer cans for some reason.

Maybe. I've seen grown-ass adults do the same stuff.

Got to a spot on the Volga last year, and two people roughly my age were just leaving, and when I got back, they just left their empty energy drink cans on the ground. Too heavy to carry to the car?

Also was camping last year and a guy with his kids just packed up and left left their fire blazing and took off just around dark. And they had the spring/water faucet near them, which I used to put it out.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw two yuge snappers in small drainage ponds yesterday. Not sure if fighting over territory or mating but they were big ones.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
A group in Northeast Winnebago county had a direct sale line to Japan or someplace around there and raised snapping turtles. It paid like a full time job and they basically penned in a small pond at each place.

I heard about that weren't they selling the eggs or were they selling the baby turtles? I can't remember exactly what was being sold.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So the tattoo I got on my 18th birthday was supposed to be like a raised tattoo? So you can feel it distinctly if you rub it. But it never raised, so I was just like, whatever, I paid $80 for it.

Now, at the age of 38, it suddenly just raised today? And I’m too terrified to try to figure out what that means for me and my future.

Likely portents to the awakening of some latent super power. Hope it's something cool.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Today, my daughter learned that dad may actually understand how to get a job. An internship popped up, I told her what to do, she ignored it and did what others normally do and..........crickets. This morning she followed my advice and........HR is calling her and getting her set up.

Hey, when someone with a near .900 batting average tells you what to do and kicks the door in for you, don’t ask if you should crawl through the window.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Update on the GF pizza from Papa Murphy's - it was actually pretty good. Far better than what I tried at Domino's (never been a fan of that place). In fact, the vixen even volunteered to eat it so we only have to buy one pie.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Today, my daughter learned that dad may actually understand how to get a job. An internship popped up, I told her what to do, she ignored it and did what others normally do and..........crickets. This morning she followed my advice and........HR is calling her and getting her set up.

Hey, when someone with a near .900 batting average tells you what to do and kicks the door in for you, don’t ask if you should crawl through the window.

I'm experiencing similar things with my dad getting him set up for exercises for some mobility stuff.

The only thing that has to happen is making some calls so I've done them for him. The door is open.

Reactions: SCyclone
Status
Not open for further replies.