Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Last time I played competitively was in 2000 in Aurora, CO at Men's 40 and over Nationals (slow-pitch softball). I threw my arm out (played right field) and haven't tried to throw a ball since. :(

My 70+ year old uncle still plays competetive softball...travels to other states to play. Rumor is that he was invited to try out for the Cincinnati Reds way back when, but didn't. IF he had been good enough and made the big leagues, I just realized he would have been a part of the Big Red Machine.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My 70+ year old uncle still plays competetive softball...travels to other states to play. Rumor is that he was invited to try out for the Cincinnati Reds way back when, but didn't. IF he had been good enough and made the big leagues, I just realized he would have been a part of the Big Red Machine.
A guy I went to high school with got drafted by the Reds in the '76 draft. I heard he threw his arm out later that summer. He should have gone to college, I'm pretty sure he had scholarship offers.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
A guy that I played softball with years ago played for ISU (Bobby Randall was the coach). He had an offer from the San Diego Padres out of high school (he was a 2-time first team All-Stater in baseball) but decided to play college ball first.

Long story short, Randall used him poorly - threw him in short relief multiple time a week - and blew his arm out. No MLB. :(

Thing was, even playing softball the kid could throw hard. I played first base at times, and he'd throw sliders and stuff from shortstop, just messing with me. One of the best natural athletes I ever played with, could dunk a basketball, could throw a football 60-65 yards in the air, ran like a deer, hit with power, etc. And not even mildly full of himself.

He coaches girls' softball now at Iowa Central.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A guy that I played softball with years ago played for ISU (Bobby Randall was the coach). He had an offer from the San Diego Padres out of high school (he was a 2-time first team All-Stater in baseball) but decided to play college ball first.

Long story short, Randall used him poorly - threw him in short relief multiple time a week - and blew his arm out. No MLB. :(

Thing was, even playing softball the kid could throw hard. I played first base at times, and he'd throw sliders and stuff from shortstop, just messing with me. One of the best natural athletes I ever played with, could dunk a basketball, could throw a football 60-65 yards in the air, ran like a deer, hit with power, etc. And not even mildly full of himself.

He coaches girls' softball now at Iowa Central.

Bolded is the best part. Some all everything athletes tend to get full of themselves. Understandably, because they are literally better than almost everyone else at something. It takes a special person to be humble despite that. I wonder if he was less humble before he got hurt and missed out on the MLB? Still, a lot of athletes never let that go, even when they are in their 40s and 60 lbs overweight.
As an umpire I've dealt with way too many of those guys coaching, mostly baseball and not softball. They know for a fact that a pitch I'm 3 feet from was a ball, when they are coaching 3rd base. I'm not even close to a hothead so I usually just ignore them, but then they ***** about every call for the rest of the game. I've only thrown out a few coaches in 24 years of umpiring, but I can only take so much.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Bolded is the best part. Some all everything athletes tend to get full of themselves. Understandably, because they are literally better than almost everyone else at something. It takes a special person to be humble despite that. I wonder if he was less humble before he got hurt and missed out on the MLB? Still, a lot of athletes never let that go, even when they are in their 40s and 60 lbs overweight.
As an umpire I've dealt with way too many of those guys coaching, mostly baseball and not softball. They know for a fact that a pitch I'm 3 feet from was a ball, when they are coaching 3rd base. I'm not even close to a hothead so I usually just ignore them, but then they ***** about every call for the rest of the game. I've only thrown out a few coaches in 24 years of umpiring, but I can only take so much.

I umped for a time, and generally if you make your calls consistent and confident, coaches tend to respect you. You may disagree, but it's important to let them know right away who's making the call. I'm betting you were a pretty good umpire.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I umped for a time, and generally if you make your calls consistent and confident, coaches tend to respect you. You may disagree, but it's important to let them know right away who's making the call. I'm betting you were a pretty good umpire.

Still am. I've been umpiring at some of the same ball parks since I was 17. That usually means you aren't a prick and don't piss people off.
I've had parents say, "Thank god you're doing our game and not that other guy". That makes me feel good about what I do.
I've gotten compliments on how I explain calls to younger kids so they learn what happened and why.
Not to say I'm perfect. I miss calls from time to time, but I call it both ways and coaches generally know they can ask me for an explanation. Even if they don't agree, I treat them with respect and usually get it back.

I only do little league and younger tournament stuff for a reason though. High school players, parents, and coaches tend to take things way too seriously and will ***** about a call even if they know they're wrong, because they think they have to. That gets old quick.
I remember doing a few semi-pro baseball games. Holy **** do those has beens and never will bes love to ***** about every call that doesn't go their way. Not all of them, but enough to tick me off and make it not worth my time. They also can't stand to listen to someone who looks younger than them. I look younger than my 41 years and they perceive that as weakness. **** that, I'll toss you.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There is a hothead ump north of fort dodge. Daughter was pitching and he had a tight zone. I’m the one who can keep her calm. After a few rough pitches, She would have a decent one that was called a ball. I yelled to her, stay relaxed, looks good-she knows I mean she’s zeroing in and improving. Second time I yell this ump threatens to bounce me. Second time that he makes a wise crack about me, I say something back, he’s initiating, tells me one more thing and I’m gone. He keeps initiating interactions with the crowd after that. I don’t think umps should interact unless it turns personal. This guy also did the exaggerated out and strike motions, wants to be part of the game.

Saw him ref basketball later, did crow hops and would try to joke with crowd members and players during dead balls.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: wxman1

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
There is a hothead ump north of fort dodge. Daughter was pitching and he had a tight zone. I’m the one who can keep her calm. After a few rough pitches, She would have a decent one that was called a ball. I yelled to her, stay relaxed, looks good-she knows I mean she’s zeroing in and improving. Second time I yell this ump threatens to bounce me. Second time that he makes a wise crack about me, I say something back, he’s initiating, tells me one more thing and I’m gone. He keeps initiating interactions with the crowd after that. I don’t think umps should interact unless it turns personal. This guy also did the exaggerated out and strike motions, wants to be part of the game.

Saw him ref basketball later, did pigeon hops and would try to joke with crowd members and players did dead balls.

Ugh, those guys are the worst. I've worked with some that said, before the tournament day even began, "I'm gonna run at least 2 coaches today." And he meant it. He knew what teams he had that day and their coaches. He knew those guys hated him and the first word out of their mouths was a warning, the next word was an ejection.

I'm almost stoic out there. I don't even get too into strike three calls because I know that kills some batters. They're just kids.
I try to be professional and I expect the same out of coaches. I usually completely ignore yelping about calls unless they ask me a direct question. My hearing isn't great anyway so that part's easy. Still got 20/20 vision and can see the ball go over the black of the plate.

Exaggerated out motions reminds me of a story about my dad. I started umpiring with him when I was 17. I did mostly bases to start but eventually I did more plates because it gave him a break from crouching with old man knees.
One game he was on the bases and over between 2nd and first with a runner on. A grounder goes to third and the kid makes a bare handed pick and throw to first. Great play. My dad was humming toward first to get in position, the first baseman makes a great stretch to get a speedy runner out. My dad, full head of steam, makes a bigger than usual out motion, but it looks like he's givin him one of these, without the finger. My dad apologized and there were no hard feelings

200.gif

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Sadly my dad stopped umpiring probably 15 years ago. I miss spending the whole day with him. His knees just couldn't take it anymore.

I got a bruise last week and showed my brother and sister-in-law and was talking about it, they laughed and said, "You sound just like Ron!" At least I wasn't sitting in my underwear talking about it. That's a Ron exclusive move.
I actually have caught myself saying something on the ball field and it sounds EXACTLY like the way my dad would say it. Tone of voice, phrasing, exactly the same. It was spooky.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
@cyhiphopp, Thanks for taking the time to ref especially those youngsters.

Thanks. It's so much more fun with kids than with older teens and adults. I wish I could do more but I've got stuff with my own kids half the nights of the week and many weekends.

Gotta stay in decent shape so that when my youngest older we can umpire together and I can do more in my "retirement".

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone and NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sadly my dad stopped umpiring probably 15 years ago. I miss spending the whole day with him. His knees just couldn't take it anymore.

I got a bruise last week and showed my brother and sister-in-law and was talking about it, they laughed and said, "You sound just like Ron!" At least I wasn't sitting in my underwear talking about it. That's a Ron exclusive move.
I actually have caught myself saying something on the ball field and it sounds EXACTLY like the way my dad would say it. Tone of voice, phrasing, exactly the same. It was spooky.
A guy I know still does it in his mid 70s. Had a write about him a couple years ago how it was 51-52 years he had been doing it. He mostly does junior high sports and has switched to softball instead of baseball.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Waiting to give blood. In a neighboring town since I got off schedule with planting. Wanted to donate so I drove over.

This towns blood drive is like hanging out at the senior center. They all sit at the cantina and munch and drink the whole time. Figured they were just being social afterwards but every single person taken has been from there. They just show up, hang out and eat the snacks I guess. I’m the only one sitting in staging chairs.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A guy I know still does it in his mid 70s. Had a write about him a couple years ago how it was 51-52 years he had been doing it. He mostly does junior high sports and has switched to softball instead of baseball.

I used to work with a guy at South Des Moines Softball. He had to be in his 70s or early 80s. I'm a little afraid to ask about him since he might not be with us anymore.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Got put in a donation chair and they are starting people who showed up after me. Gotta pick parking at 4. Cmon folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.