Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone know how to play euchre? Asking for a friend.

I played like 40 -50 years ago but I am pretty sure we were all just playing cards as an excuse to drink beer in NE Iowa. Something something jacks. And by beer back then I mean stuff like Old Milwaukee. :rolleyes:

Watched some folks playing last month in Mexico. They were not getting drunk and seemed to be kinda serious. Seemed like work. :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Randoms

Liking the poopie icky gloomy wet forecast for tomorrow. Maybe can go for a walkabout and not run into 800 people per mile.

Hoarding the last two episodes of Kingdom. Think I'll watch one tonight.

Scotch?

I am out of bananas. First world problem that one.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Lew caught a couple extra squirrels and possums last week?
90800097_10223680691304617_3691163493400051712_o.jpg

This just happened tonight. These are the outdoor kitties. Boots, the boy, up top. Puss is the blur, and the grouchy girl is NotPuss.

Later they moved the squinny to within an inch of the door that I took this picture from. :D

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yesterday I bought a small cut of eye round. Stuck it in a mixture of soy sauce and other and going to attempt beef jerky in the oven today. I guess we'll see in about 4 hours.

Reactions: BCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yesterday I bought a small cut of eye round. Stuck it in a mixture of soy sauce and other and going to attempt beef jerky in the oven today. I guess we'll see in about 4 hours.
Even if it doesn't turn out, your house will smell great!

We categorized the meat in our freezer and are going through the oldest that's in there. Tonight it's ribeyes. Later this week (after a few days in the fridge thawing out) I'll be roasting a turkey. :D

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Even if it doesn't turn out, your house will smell great!

We categorized the meat in our freezer and are going through the oldest that's in there. Tonight it's ribeyes. Later this week (after a few days in the fridge thawing out) I'll be roasting a turkey. :D

So this is the exciting part of life called retirement that I have to look forward to in 20 years? No wonder the males in my family only last up to a year after they retire.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Quick question: Does anyone know of any reasons why a private YouTube channel would not be the easiest way to post lecture videos for class the rest of the semester?

Just curious. I suspect everything else is crashing on Monday. Mostly curious whether there are ethical concerns that I should be considering.

I’m assuming this channel is/will be small. YouTube throttles your upload when you’re small so it could take many hours to upload an hour video of a lecture. They also limit you on quality but I assume HD will be fine for you. That’s all I could think of. Yea there’s the issue of a student not having internet but no matter what service you have, you're screwed.

Do you have dictation software? Maybe you could have it be written then emailed and played on YouTube?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Anyone know how to play euchre? Asking for a friend.

Ever since I could remember. My extended family is huuuuuggggeee on euchre. When there's a family gathering there's at least 4-5 games going. Sometimes we do tournaments in the winter months and winners get dessert first. When someone has to stand up or use the restroom you gotta be ready to tag in at a moments notice and not **** it up.

Played every year in the Euchre intramural with my cousin. Always got a shirt too (top 4 teams I think?). Senior year I don't think there were enough people to justify a tournament so they just gave all the teams a shirt lol

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@CycloneErik You know if the plans are for instructors to have the class videos live during class time and then up to watch or if they will pop up here and there. I told the son, if possible, to watch the videos during regular class time so he stays in the swing and doesn't fall behind. Or if someone is ambitious, and have a whole week up, maybe watch his three hours that week one day and then do a class a day to get indepth on it.

Also, pass/fail......does that mean they just need a D- to pass or do they need a C-? Was thinking in my day you needed a 70% (C-) to pass on a pass/fail.

Sorry to load you with questions, ISU hasn't been real great on communication with parents (besides the kid not being the greatest at it either).

Thanks,

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
@CycloneErik You know if the plans are for instructors to have the class videos live during class time and then up to watch or if they will pop up here and there. I told the son, if possible, to watch the videos during regular class time so he stays in the swing and doesn't fall behind. Or if someone is ambitious, and have a whole week up, maybe watch his three hours that week one day and then do a class a day to get indepth on it.

Also, pass/fail......does that mean they just need a D- to pass or do they need a C-? Was thinking in my day you needed a 70% (C-) to pass on a pass/fail.

Sorry to load you with questions, ISU hasn't been real great on communication with parents (besides the kid not being the greatest at it either).

Thanks,

We've been told to be asynchronous, so students can watch at whatever time is best for them and their new schedule. If someone wants to post their whole week, nothing is stopping them, but honestly, most are just figuring the technology out and dealing with a billion other things, so I doubt most classes will have the whole week up right away. I certainly won't, and I have everything written already.

Pass/fail: D- would pass.
Usually, you need a C- in your major, I think, for things to count, but that's all going to be very fluid and flexible with this thing going on.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I’m assuming this channel is/will be small. YouTube throttles your upload when you’re small so it could take many hours to upload an hour video of a lecture. They also limit you on quality but I assume HD will be fine for you. That’s all I could think of. Yea there’s the issue of a student not having internet but no matter what service you have, you're screwed.

Do you have dictation software? Maybe you could have it be written then emailed and played on YouTube?

I don't. This isn't a time where we're going out and looking for everything. It's just picking the best and quickest option we can and rolling on.
I expect an abundance of chaos this week while everybody starts to figure things out. I'm looking forward to crashing together the exam and everything.

Good meeting with T.A. We hammered out our general approach to "discussion" in this free-floating format. Now we're just putting together a couple of details to make the new assignments work.

Status
Not open for further replies.