Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I do too! But we play to 15 which is different than a lot of people

I’m with CG, I haven’t heard anything about that yet.

Edit: just got the email that he issued one.

We always played euchre to 11. Do you play sheepshead too? One of the greatest card games of all time.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Day 10 without a trip to grocery. Still doing okay on supply side. Nothing "fresh" obviously on the fruit side of things. Still got milk, buy the extra pasteurized low Lactate stuff which has long shelf life. Adjusting to not having any bananas. Or grapes, I'd been on a big grape thing this winter.
This was day 13 for us.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The only “good” thing is the order will be issued tomorrow and probably take effect Tuesday evening, so we do have a little bit of time to plan.

My laptop charger quit working yesterday, so I had to run to Office Depot so I could get a new one.

I was hoping to get a couple bids for landscape/patio work - I wonder if that's able to continue or not. Trying to call soon in case they want to be able to come out yet by tomorrow and then work on the bid holed up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
@BCClone :

The next thing I just learned to consider in the online environment, and it's going to play havoc on everybody:
1. Can't plan like it's a normal class day. Everything has to be modified and rewritten for shorter video presentations.
2. Phone limits each one to 23 minutes. No biggie, but I didn't learn until I saw that it did that automatically.
3. Profs have Internet troubles, too. Our upload speeds are apparently ****, so uploading videos in a timely manner from home isn't a thing, and I can't go anywhere faster.

This is going to be a horribly chaotic week for the ISU.
I'm learning a ton of new things, and some new Canvas things. Unfortunately, I will never need any of this Canvas knowledge again, so yippee.

• Informative
  • Friendly
Reactions: BCClone and NWICY

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
@BCClone :

The next thing I just learned to consider in the online environment, and it's going to play havoc on everybody:
1. Can't plan like it's a normal class day. Everything has to be modified and rewritten for shorter video presentations.
2. Phone limits each one to 23 minutes. No biggie, but I didn't learn until I saw that it did that automatically.
3. Profs have Internet troubles, too. Our upload speeds are apparently ****, so uploading videos in a timely manner from home isn't a thing, and I can't go anywhere faster.

This is going to be a horribly chaotic week for the ISU.
I'm learning a ton of new things, and some new Canvas things. Unfortunately, I will never need any of this Canvas knowledge again, so yippee.
canvas from my experience is a worse version of blackboard, which is saying something.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
canvas from my experience is a worse version of blackboard, which is saying something.

It really is.
For these large lecture classes, Blackboard is infinitely better.
The part that affects me:In Blackboard, you can have a shell course that includes every section, whether it be 1, 2, 4, 8, or 12. Canvas won't do that and have the small sections for T.A.s to work with.

So I send class e-mails 4 times, upload slides (with the infinite clicking and waiting 4 times), and so on repeatedly.

There is apparently a very slick video feature in Canvas, but making that video accessible to each section is apparently like 10-12 steps each time. That's just mind-numbingly stupid.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
And it's not just the academic courses that are nightmares today. I (and others, according to FB) couldn't get into a "What Ag Producers Need to Know About COVID 19" webinar because the site crashed. To their credit, they did make or add a second access point and were recording it, so there was some prep. Monday morning/noon on the first day after many schools' spring break was not a good choice. Even later today might have been better for everyone. But it is what it is for now.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I stopped at the store on the way home from work to pick up a couple of essentials. Ice cream and vodka. I also stopped at the bank. The drive thru was 10 cars deep when I got there. All the car were using the one drive up window and left the other lane with the vacuum tube open. Not sure why as there were two people working the drive thru. I was able to skip past 3 cars and use that when I had the chance. I felt a little guilt then thought "hey, If they are just going to sit there and leave an open lane I might as well use it."

Reactions: SCyclone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
FYI, If I am going to have to work at home I might as well bake some bread. I left it to rise, will check on it in another 30 minutes

Reactions: BCClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Pandemic claims the relationship of my upstairs neighbors. Not sad about this one, dude upstairs smoked with all the windows closed. You won't be missed.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
****. Our upload speed looks to be half the minimum recommended speed.
Barely squeaking over 1MB. This isn't gonna work out too good.
Just now checked mine -- not quite 11 mbps. oh, gosh. Day 1 full force everyone everywhere isn't even over yet. I'm waiting for the ISU survey for staff to come out and hope it asks the right questions about this whole thing, not just the ones they want answers to.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Just now checked mine -- not quite 11 mbps. oh, gosh. Day 1 full force everyone everywhere isn't even over yet. I'm waiting for the ISU survey for staff to come out and hope it asks the right questions about this whole thing, not just the ones they want answers to.

Not even 1 MB upload here.
In our building, it's not usage, either. We're the primary users for the Internet we're provided. It's just too weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron