Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Youngest daughter Hannah lives in Sacramento, her hubby Tyler works for an oil refining company (he supervises electrical safety for the company). He went to Suriname a couple months ago, and now he cannot get a flight back to the U.S. He and his co-worker went to the American Embassy yesterday to see if anything could be done. Let's hope so.........

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Randoms:

Poopie rainy icky today so would have stayed inside anyway.

My case of wine from Total Wine was delivered. Did not have to sign, FedX going no touchy.

Did taxes. Owe $2000. Not sure how I messed up the withholding. Was spot on last year.

Continuing my unscientific exploration of the medicinal properties of Hershey's Chocolate Kisses as it applies to COVID-19 resistance. Dosage is up to about 12 so far today.

Did I mention poopie rainy icky?
Well, you have until at least July to make the Fed tax payment without penalty or interest. No biggie, I'm sure, but I'm not going to be paying until then. : )

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone and NWICY

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Tomorrow we cut the cord with DirecTV. I have been with them for 15 years - I started because I wanted the NFL Sunday Ticket package, which is proprietary with them - but I've had enough. It's not worth calling every so often and ******** so they will lower our bill, or give us perks that new subscribers get.

We're going with YouTubeTV.....it'll be nice to pay less than 1/3 of what we were paying to get television programming.

We did the same thing 2 or 3 months ago. My wife finally got fed up with DirecTV. That and she finally started listening to what I was trying to tell her about saving money by getting our tv service through other means. We have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ and still pay less than half what we were for DirecTV.

• Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Daycare- who said last friday it would take something like a national shutdown to close......closed for six weeks :eek::eek::eek:

We had already pulled LM but just wow. They are national so lots of little ones out. Sounds like some places pivoting to providing care for healthcare and such. I imagine ours will be one. Somehow, it feels even more serious now. Crazy how much has changed in 9 days. I won't lie and say the idea of doing this whole wfh andnparent thing for six weeks at least isnt scary. Plus I worry about when things restart and how bad separation anxiety will be. First world things I suppose.

I can't believe how normal things felt 14 days ago.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Our local paper had an editorial this morning chastising folks for hoarding. J-u-u-u-u-u-s-t a bit late, don't you think? :confused:

Like it would have done any good. Enough of the portion of the population are "what about me" selfish pigs and that's going to **** this up. Based on communications with peeps I know we are ****** as far as making the social distancing work as effectively as it could. What could be a 2-3 week or couple month thingie is likely to be four months or more. People suck. :(

/end mini rant

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, you have until at least July to make the Fed tax payment without penalty or interest. No biggie, I'm sure, but I'm not going to be paying until then. : )

Wouldn't want to miss that 90 days of .0000001% interest it will earn in the bank.

Me? I am paying mine before the credit union starts charging me interest on it. o_O

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Like it would have done any good. Enough of the portion of the population are "what about me" selfish pigs and that's going to **** this up. Based on communications with peeps I know we are ****** as far as making the social distancing work as effectively as it could. What could be a 2-3 week or couple month thingie is likely to be four months or more. People suck. :(

/end mini rant

Wait until those people lose loved ones (worst case) or at the very least are without things like football next fall (which I think is very likely).

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Wouldn't want to miss that 90 days of .0000001% interest it will earn in the bank.

Me? I am paying mine before the credit union starts charging me interest on it. o_O
Fair enough. Incidentally, here's an excellent free resource regarding tax matters and the corona virus. I have a subscription as a Tax Dude, but this free resource may be of interest to others.

https://www.taxnotes.com/coronavirus-tax-coverage

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and SCyclone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Than they will blame the government for not doing more. o_O
I have been harboring a selfish wish that interstate travel would be restricted and all of those brain trusts on Florida & South Padre beaches are told to stay put. How many of them will come home to schools that are shuttered, then go home to mom & dad...who will then go take care of grandma & grandpa. Those kids may have some resistance to the virus (that's proving to be somewhat false, but...), but the people they can/will spread it to may NOT.

This rant is directed entirely to the college students interviewed on the news the other day...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The local meals on wheels has nearly shut down, mostly 65 year olds delivering to 80+ year olds and the sick (except one family that irritates the whole crew). So the wife and I did it today to try to do a little good and allow it to finish the week. Had medium sized gloves. The wife struggled with her's but i showed my EMT experience when I managed to squeeze my size large (snug even at that) into those babies and not tear them. Still got it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Our local paper had an editorial this morning chastising folks for hoarding. J-u-u-u-u-u-s-t a bit late, don't you think? :confused:

In other hoarding problems, people hoarded webcams.
It hit me yesterday that putting one on our desktop might a good, redundant idea. Turns out everyone else had that idea already while I was cleaning up vomit.

But really, webcams are sold out everywhere, except for an $899 model at Staples.
10 lectures, $899, no thanks.

I should be fine with what I have until Zoom crashes on Monday, which it almost certainly will.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Watched the White House press briefing over the noon hour. Some reporter actually asked what the possibility was of testing every person in the United States. I was dumbfounded. Do people not even think before they blurt? The logistics alone are mind-boggling.

And you all know I'm not a tRump fan, but his answer actually made sense. He said, "If you're exhibiting the symptoms, go get tested."

This isn't that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.