QB

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
I believe the coaches when they state that spring practice will feature open competition for the QB position. Each of these four QBs bring in some desirable talents. I, for one, am really looking forward to the Spring game. Go Cyclones !!!

(Have to throw this out there... After going back and watching the senior highlights of Tiller, Capello, Barnett, JQ Daniels, and Richardson, I can hardly wait for the day that Sam Richardson lines up behind the center. IMHO.)

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The best thing for ISU football would be for Barnett or Capello to be the best and win the job. It gives us a lot more to build on, having a starter for 3 or 4 years as opposed to 1 or 2

I can agree along those lines... but I think Sam Richardson is the best guy we have right now. That is why I believe it would be best for Jantz to win the job allowing Richardson to RS and better prepare himself for the Big12/10/whatever it is by then.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
It will be either Barnett or Jantz. Barnett is the staffs first true QB commit. Capello was a depth filler. Every school wants to have at least 1 QB comit in every class and that was what Capello was. A late scholarship offer to give the class a QB commit. Nothing against the kid, and I hope he works hard and can make his was in to the 2 deeps at some point, but this kid has the longest shot of seeing the field.

The staff is done with Tiller as QB. They were never big on him. They have stated this before, but have said he has made huge improvements. That doesn't mean the want him at QB. Coaches are not going to throw kids under the bus especially if they are working hard. Tiller will either be transferring or playing WR when the first game of the season begins.

The true freshman QBs will all red shirt with Jantz or Barnett starting, and Capello being the third emergency option.

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
In my opinion, I think it would be best for everyone if Tiller moved to WR. He is definately athletic enough and we could use some help at that position. Austin Flynn had a nice career when he moved to WR. Over at Iowa, McNutt came in as a QB and will probably get drafted next year as a WR. Obviously we havent seen Tiller play WR, but just looking at his athletic ability, size, and speed, I think he could have at least a shot to be drafted as WR. I dont think he is a bad QB; his speed is definately an advantage, but he isnt accurate enough to run this offense in my opinion

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think Capello has a better chance than people think... he has a good amount of athletic ability and hes the most accurate QB on the team(allegedly). We've brought in slot receivers who are quick fast twitch type guys... in our spread offense we will be throwing short passes to them letting them make the big plays... and RB's like Nealy and Johnson along with those receivers could excel with that accurate QB..

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It will be either Barnett or Jantz. Barnett is the staffs first true QB commit. Capello was a depth filler. Every school wants to have at least 1 QB comit in every class and that was what Capello was. A late scholarship offer to give the class a QB commit. Nothing against the kid, and I hope he works hard and can make his was in to the 2 deeps at some point, but this kid has the longest shot of seeing the field.

The staff is done with Tiller as QB. They were never big on him. They have stated this before, but have said he has made huge improvements. That doesn't mean the want him at QB. Coaches are not going to throw kids under the bus especially if they are working hard. Tiller will either be transferring or playing WR when the first game of the season begins.

The true freshman QBs will all red shirt with Jantz or Barnett starting, and Capello being the third emergency option.

How much would you like to bet Barnett isn't above Tiller unless Tiller switches positions? IMO, if it's not Tiller, it's Capello or Jantz. Barnett won't be ready just yet. Sure, he was the first QB for this staff but it's not like he was a top 5 QB. He was still in need of development and his injury really hurt that last year. I'm not saying he won't ever start or won't ever be a very good QB, I just don't think it will be this year.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Yaman3, I think you are correct. The competition is most likely going to be between Tiller, Jantz, and Capello. (Not saying that Barnett is not just as talented). I just get the impression from Coach Herman that he is not comfortable putting a young QB on the field that has not had two seasons to learn the play book and get in plenty of practice time. I noticed that when Coach Herman was describing Sam Richardson (on the NLI signing day videos), he stated that SR possessed the exact traits he was looking for in a QB. But, then went on (to basically say) - don't expect to see SR on the field for a couple of years.

Last edited:

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
How much would you like to bet Barnett isn't above Tiller unless Tiller switches positions? IMO, if it's not Tiller, it's Capello or Jantz. Barnett won't be ready just yet. Sure, he was the first QB for this staff but it's not like he was a top 5 QB. He was still in need of development and his injury really hurt that last year. I'm not saying he won't ever start or won't ever be a very good QB, I just don't think it will be this year.

I'll bet you 20,000 credits that come fall, Barnett is above Tiller.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Yaman3, I think you are correct. The competition is most likely going to be between Tiller, Jantz, and Capello. (Not saying that Barnett is not just as talented). I just get the impression from Coach Herman that he is not comfortable putting a young QB on the field that has not had two seasons to learn the play book and get in plenty of practice time. I noticed that when Coach Herman was describing Sam Richardson (on the NLI signing day videos), he stated that SR possessed the exact traits he was looking for in a QB. But, then went on (to basically say) - don't expect to see SR on the field for a couple of years.

I'll take that bet. Barnett wasn't a top 5 but he was rated higher than any QB recruit this staff has brought in....including this years crop and Capello in 2009. Also, if your theory holds, Jantz would be out of the picture too because he is a young QB (1 year exp) with less than two years in Herman's system. The injury was a setback for Barnett because I believe from watching the fall camp videos and seeing the coaches interviews that he he was doing just as good or better than JT and JC. He did come back from it and was going full contact the last 7 weeks of the season. I wouldn't count this kid out.

Last edited:

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
i am going to throw my money on the might mite 5-7 sam richardson to get the first snap...it is called the bunny snap play- rhoads will install it during the summer . little sam will hide between the centers legs and the center will snap it to little sam and the opposing defense will not note little sam underneath center and little sam will take his snap for an 80 yard touchdown run...GO CYCLONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I would be shocked if Tiller changed positions. Even if he loses the competition, he would give us an experienced backup QB who has started and won games before in his career.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . Sure, (Barnett) was the first QB for this staff but it's not like he was a top 5 QB. . . .

Wasn't Capello the staff's first QB recruit? Seems like I recall Herman getting onto him late in the game, maybe January 2009. But, I don't recall absolutely.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Wasn't Capello the staff's first QB recruit? Seems like I recall Herman getting onto him late in the game, maybe January 2009. But, I don't recall absolutely.

He was a filler recruit. Go back and read my previous post.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009

Technically he was. But, it was more of just getting a QB in the class. He wasn't actually "recruited" in the way most people think if recruiting. At the time ISU offered him (about 3 days before signing day) he had a wish list but no offers. So he took the only offer that he could get...I would have too.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
He was a filler recruit. Go back and read my previous post.

What proof do you have that he was a filler recruit? Please state your evidence. If you have more than opinion (personally, I discount opinions on this site), I'd like to know about it.

He was a late commitment, but, then, the new staff was late to the recruiting field, late to understanding the ISU recruiting landscape, late to evaluations, late. . . . I don't understand what advantage it would give the staff to recruit filler athletes.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Technically he was. But, it was more of just getting a QB in the class. He wasn't actually "recruited" in the way most people think if recruiting. At the time ISU offered him (about 3 days before signing day) he had a wish list but no offers. So he took the only offer that he could get...I would have too.

His father has written here that James had offers. He was Pennsylvania's top quarterback in 2008, and it easily could be Rivals and other services weren't up to date. He wasn't highly recruited, that appears clear.

Why spend a scholarship on a quarterback if one's assessment is that he cannot play Big 12 football? Why add a quarterback to a class just to add a quarterback to a class? I don't see the logic in that. Could not walk-ons fulfill practice needs just as well?

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
What proof do you have that he was a filler recruit? Please state your evidence. If you have more than opinion (personally, I discount opinions on this site), I'd like to know about it.

He was a late commitment, but, then, the new staff was late to the recruiting field, late to understanding the ISU recruiting landscape, late to evaluations, late. . . . I don't understand what advantage it would give the staff to recruit filler athletes.

Read the post right above you by FootballinTexas. He was offered days before signing day because the staff didn't have a QB. Herman has stated before that they would like to have at least 1 QB in every class. Capello's best offer was to Central Michigan and this staff felt James would provide quality depth. He was the best available at the time. I am not saying the kid doesn't have talent, but he was recruited to provide depth.