Property Insurance

May 7, 2020
1 word.

Derecho
More than just that. The weather has been historically bad for 4 years and the reinsurance companies are tired of losing money. The market is very hard right now. At least 6-12 months more of this. Hopefully no major storms this spring and things can start to stabilize.

Reactions: chadly82

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
More than just that. The weather has been historically bad for 4 years and the reinsurance companies are tired of losing money. The market is very hard right now. At least 6-12 months more of this. Hopefully no major storms this spring and things can start to stabilize.
Yeah just not wind we have had plenty of hail damage in central Iowa the last few years

Reactions: 2076

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Someone here on CF recommended these guys a couple years ago and I've had a good experience. Andrew is my agent.

I know these guys as well. Very good people. The dad and one of the boys is a Cyclone fan. I don’t know what happened to the other one (Hawkeye), but they are all outstanding folks.

Reactions: ianoconnor

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
It’s nationwide and as stated California & Florida are the leaders where natural disasters have been particularly expensive to rebuild. Rampant increase of material costs along with availability of workforce compounds the problem. I am president in a HOA and our premium doubled but we were fortunate in that any HOA in the area older than 20 years were dropped. And our deductible is $100,000 so unless we have a major loss, we won’t have a claim. I think this situation will start to sink in and affect RE sales as potential buyers do the math on home ownership.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Yep. The last 4 years have been brutal where I’m at. 3 major house claims, a new roof, siding, deck, and vehicle damage from derecho and hail events. That’s just on the personal property side. Farm side has been a mess too.

• Sad
Reactions: FLYINGCYCLONE

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Just asked my sisters about their property insurance and they agreed going up all over. One of them mentioned her property taxes. They went up 20% a couple years ago. One of her friends told her theirs went up 40%. They live in Hennepin County Minnesota.

• Wow

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Overall P&C industry is taking big rate increases. Rates are coming on different timelines by company based on rate filings.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I have a part-rental, part vacation home in Southwest Florida about 10 miles inland from where Hurricane Ian destroyed Fort Myers Beach.

In 2021, insurance was about $1,600 with a no-name company that was real shakey.

In 2022 when Ian hit I had already switched to USAA for about $2,500.

Last October, just over a year after Ian, I was bracing for the worst, but it only went up to $2,700. I feel very fortunate. But we’ll see what this year brings.

My homeowners insurance in Utah on a newer, larger place has held steady at about $1,200.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I have a part-rental, part vacation home in Southwest Florida about 10 miles inland from where Hurricane Ian destroyed Fort Myers Beach.

In 2021, insurance was about $1,600 with a no-name company that was real shakey.

In 2022 when Ian hit I had already switched to USAA for about $2,500.

Last October, just over a year after Ian, I was bracing for the worst, but it only went up to $2,700. I feel very fortunate. But we’ll see what this year brings.

My homeowners insurance in Utah on a newer, larger place has held steady at about $1,200.
Yeah the renewal period for most right now is a shocker. Feel bad for anyone nearing retirement or on a fixed income especially

Reactions: CyCoug

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
Appears IMT is trying to limit its exposure in Iowa as just got a letter stating they are not renewing my auto policy.
Well this worries me. IMT just renewed mine March 6th. Filed a claim this morning for the deer I hit last night.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I really like my agent and my insurance. I’ve been with them for over fifteen years. But he’s already prepping me for a big hike. I hate to shop around but probably going to have to.

Reactions: FLYINGCYCLONE

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The hail events in the DSM metro were very costly.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
The hail events in the DSM metro were very costly.
Correct, between home and car they paid out $40k for my damage.

Update: Talked to my insurance agent and he said IMT is limiting exposure in Iowa. Talked to IMT and they said they are dropping my agent and if I want I can find a new agent and might be able to get a new policy uw.