Prohm Hired As ISU MBB Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
No, some of us just saw what happened when he left the first time. Hint: What happened was we got no HS commitments from the US who are still here.

Cooke is basically as good as a high school commit. There weren't a lot of open spots those 2 years he was gone. Just not a lot of chances to get high school kids.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I'm in the wait and see club.

Welcome to CycloneNation Steve! Let's get it!

Agreed with this. Can't say I've watched them enough or know enough about him to say it's a good or bad hire. Interested to see his staff. Hopefully he's really successful here.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Should work, needs TJ. I don't want this team to fall apart, willing to sacrifice long term success for the shot of a final four this year

Wouldn't Otz have to be a guy considered by Murray St. for their HC position now? Not that many staffs in flux this time of year to choose from for a low major HC position, and from TJ's POV, he's got to get HC time somewhere soon if he wants to start to build a rep. If similarities to Hoiball worked for Prohm on ISU's end, Otz's familiarity with Hoiball could work the same way on the other end.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
This is going to sound silly/stupid from me, but I feel bad for TJ if he was led to believe the job was his..

Not silly; The way Lorenzo Romar's quote came out, you'd think it was a done deal and maybe the way TJ explained it to him.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Sounds like they have a 6'2" guard who was the player of the year in their conference Cameron Payne. Maybe he will follow to Ames? He will be a junior this coming year. Would have been ideal if he was a 6 foot 8 forward but can't have too many great guards.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Were there any Cyclone message boards in existance when Floyd was hired over Hallihan? I know on campus at the time, the students generally favored him.

There wasn't a groundswell of support on the Compuserve email? The 56k modems must've been on fire!

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
No, some of us just saw what happened when he left the first time. Hint: What happened was we got no HS commitments from the US who are still here.

That was more due to the head coach and his disinterest in recruiting.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

So you're saying that nobody can recruit to ISU who isn't named T.J. Otzelberger?

Maybe it's more that Fred didn't give recruiting the attention he should have, rather than T.J. being some irreplaceable savant.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Sounds like they have a 6'2" guard who was the player of the year in their conference Cameron Payne. Maybe he will follow to Ames? Would have been ideal if he was a 6 foot 8 forward but can't have too many great guards.

Payne will be a lottery pick in NBA in three weeks.

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
I'm definitely in the wait and see camp. It sounds like he has a lot of potential, but other than what I've read today (not from this site), I don't know much about him.

I'm also not in the "we have to keep TJ" camp to avoid a meltdown, but I do think it would be better for the program.

So here is to Coach Phrom and to hopefully keeping TJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.