Problems on Offense

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I didn't like the playcalling. Too many third downs went unconverted due to a 3 yard gain because we just threw the ball to a receiver in the flat. Also, our so-called 4 headed rushing attack (Not including Richardson or Nealy) was successful. The problem was, White, Wimberly, Johnson and Woody combined for just 23 carries. Richardson had 21 on his own. 3 of those RBs averaged > 4.4 yards per carry.
The biggest problem was on third downs. We converted 7-17 third downs. Yes, we had 10 FOURTH DOWNS. We converted on fourth down once and we made two FGs so basically the other 7 times we wasted our drives.
Our O-line got shoved around by UNI. Obviously losing Farniok doesn't help but not all of those missed blocks were by his replacement. We need bigger plays, like the pass to Coleman. Sammy was 22-32 but how many of those were slants or throws to the flat? Those throws are designed to find a receiver who's great after the catch. We never gave our receivers enough space to make something happen out there.
Also, quit with the "fire Messingham" campaign. Obviously the offense was far short of spectacular but there were open receivers Sam missed, there were missed blocks all over the place, and there were two missed FGs. Bottom line is, he needs to put points on the board but when the players aren't getting it done on the field that puts Messingham in a bind and restricts his playcalls.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I'm sorry but this is messinghams fault. An OC should know his personnel and what do to in order to make his offense successful.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
It's the offensive line, always. The answer to our offensive issues is always the offensive line. UNI D-line beats us at the LOS every time we play them. EVERY. TIME. They beat us up on the LOS when we had two future NFL lineman playing in 2010 as well.

Combined that with watching their offensive line control our defensive line, even while replacing 3 starters really makes you question our talent evaluation. I'd swap lines with them in a heartbeat on both sides of the LOS. How sad is that? UNI identifies, develops and recruits better lineman than we do, with 20ish less scholarships.

Last edited:

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Did anyone else think Sam Richardson was slow to pull the trigger in the 2nd half? He obviously was under pressure but I thought he had some guys open when he got to the back of his drop and just stared at them. From the stands it appeared that we had guys open and enough time to get it there, but it just wasn't happening.

Also, where was Brun last night? Was something wrong, I didn't notice him on the field much.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
am i the only one that thought sam had no pocket presence? definitely not sold that hes the answer. oline was flat out man handled. brun was no where to be found. how can a RB get in a rhythm getting 2-3 carries per drive then being subd out?? drives me nuts. agree 100% mess is lost when it comes to personnel

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Did anyone else think Sam Richardson was slow to pull the trigger in the 2nd half? He obviously was under pressure but I thought he had some guys open when he got to the back of his drop and just stared at them. From the stands it appeared that we had guys open and enough time to get it there, but it just wasn't happening.

Also, where was Brun last night? Was something wrong, I didn't notice him on the field much.

I think Brun was hurt. He had one catch for 2 yards. And yes, Sam reminded me of Steele from the last two years. He'd look for the first option and if that wasn't open he'd just scramble. I wish we had a better O-Line but in the end we need to find a way to help him out. Have Woody stay in the backfield and block, just something extra. Their front 4 shouldn't tear us up like that.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
am i the only one that thought sam had no pocket presence? definitely not sold that hes the answer. oline was flat out man handled. brun was no where to be found. how can a RB get in a rhythm getting 2-3 carries per drive then being subd out?? drives me nuts. agree 100% mess is lost when it comes to personnel

Hmmm - could these two be related?

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
shoot i am not even sure if richardson can make it through the year; rohack is probably going to be playing by necessity. richardson just cannot take the hits. and all the sacks in the second half; my gosh thanks oline; way to protect your qb. we had the game won; we were down 20-21 got the ball back. we had been slowing beating away at that 21-7 deficit and the defense was starting to get some moementum; then bam; a failed screen pass [thanks oline]; and then 3rd and richardson got sacked; game over. could not see the receivers routes well cause of the tv coverage. the running backs seems good to me.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
shoot i am not even sure if richardson can make it through the year; rohack is probably going to be playing by necessity. richardson just cannot take the hits. and all the sacks in the second half; my gosh thanks oline; way to protect your qb. we had the game won; we were down 20-21 got the ball back. we had been slowing beating away at that 21-7 deficit and the defense was starting to get some moementum; then bam; a failed screen pass [thanks oline]; and then 3rd and richardson got sacked; game over. could not see the receivers routes well cause of the tv coverage. the running backs seems good to me.

Agree with everything you say here. Richardson did have over 100 rushing yds technically, but take away the lost yds from the sacks and he was at 74 or 75 or whatever he ended up with. The guy can run the ball there is no doubt, but I think he should be at around 12 carries a game with the RBs getting 35-40 carries a game. If Jeff Jones watched ISU football this year, he will not want to play for us because the RBs don't get the ball.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Not trying to argue that this is a good thing, but it's worth pointing out that when we run a zone read there is a very good chance Richardson will keep it. If we don't want to run it with Richardson then we will not be able to run traditional zone reads.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A 3 man rush should not get to our qb that often. Should not happen. My two cents, we had a size advantage up front. A read option took away that advantage by giving UNI's speed room to adjust and attack openings. When we sped up the play calling and just ran it with confidence, we moved right down the field. It would have also opened up play-action. Credit to UNI, but we played our way out of that victory

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
A 3 man rush should not get to our qb that often. Should not happen. My two cents, we had a size advantage up front. A read option took away that advantage by giving UNI's speed room to adjust and attack openings. When we sped up the play calling and just ran it with confidence, we moved right down the field. It would have also opened up play-action. Credit to UNI, but we played our way out of that victory

This.

When we were in the hurry up offense, we ran all over them, why did we stop?

cyclonepop

May 10, 2010
Pleasant Hill, Ia
I am just wondering the following.....The first ten plays are scripted. The first ten plays were runs by the backs. We moved the ball down-field. Period.... After that, we started out doing the same old thing.....wanting to make the big plays by passing the ball. Wondering if CPR tells/agrees with mess that these are the plays we run for the first ten, then mess takes over and it becomes a mess! Is it all his fault? I dont know. I do know I saw some catches made BEHIND the line of scrimmage, they were bad/rushed passes, and instead of the receiver batting them down because he has coverage on him...he makes the catch and losses 3-5 yards. Thats in-experience. Despite having a new line coach this year, I saw the same offense. Run run run...we positive yards. We would make more positive yards if they would keep a back in there more than 2-3 runs! When we run, run, run, ...we USUALLY are making positive yards in some fashion. They then think that they need to make the HUGE play, and start throwing. Then get behind...and start more throwing, and more throwing and less running. The running game becomes less effective simply because the backs dont get the chance to find the weaknesses in the defense. Just my opinion....

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I am just wondering the following.....The first ten plays are scripted. The first ten plays were runs by the backs. We moved the ball down-field. Period.... After that, we started out doing the same old thing ...

Same as last year. Then no adjustment coming out of halftime. CPR acknowledged the play calling needs to change. Again, he said the same thing last year. I can't figure out why Mess had 8 months to figure out a different approach yet the offense looked like they only practiced those 10 plays.

One of the other former OC on staff needs to call plays the rest of the season. Keep running the same plays that are working and you execute well. You keep a rhythm and throw in a new play ever so often to break tendencies but keep going back to what is working and what you practiced. Maybe they should ****** more plays.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I wonder if we really know how to run the pistol offense yet? Supposedly the advantage of it is that the RB is already moving forward when he gets the ball, so he can hit the hole quicker, but when we run it, it still seems just as slow as having the RB next to the QB.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
I wonder if we really know how to run the pistol offense yet? Supposedly the advantage of it is that the RB is already moving forward when he gets the ball, so he can hit the hole quicker, but when we run it, it still seems just as slow as having the RB next to the QB.

It's too late but ISU should change offensive philosophy. Dump the spreadish offense and go to a more pro style (Stanford, Wisconsin) offense with a fullback and tailback and QB under center. Use a huddle and eat up some clock to get the defense some rest. ISU won't be able to recruit to the spread style of offense and keep up with the other teams in the league. Would also make ISU unique in the Big 12 since no one really runs that type of offense and it's a better offense for Ames, IA weather in October and November.

This is based on not watching any of the UNI game but on the past years (which have been bad offenses) I've watched ISU play.