Probable Starters

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Kinda surprised to see Parker's name over Simmons at 133 since it doesn't look like that's just alphabetical.

Reactions: bthomps01

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Glad to see Danny Bush going down to 174. Obviously not established at the Division 1 level, but right now I'd trust him over any of the other guys at that weight (although I think Swalla will be serviceable as a backup).

Reactions: Boxer007

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Also, Pestano is the only senior on that list. If this team is even decent this year, they should be in line for some major improvements over the next few years.

But then again, I don't think I'm saying anything that hasn't already been said before.

Reactions: CyAGR and crawfy54

cywr89

May 14, 2009
These are the project main guys at each weight. Unless he has off the mat issue or get's hurt, I can guarantee Rodriguez will be 149 pounder. Parker works so hard in practice, I could see why they put him on the top line and I really like him but my money is still on Simmons beating him or at least placing above him this Saturday. Otherwise, I think the other weights will end up with the top guy on this list being the top guy. If the tournament is ran like past years and has similar # of kids, finals are usually over by 7 or so. Starts at 9:00.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
It looks weird to see we have only one ranked wrestler. I suspect that will change, however.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Some interesting comments from KD:
- Parker is cutting some weight. Perhaps he ends up at 141 if/when Storr moves up. - Storr doesn’t sound like he is lighting up practice. Found KDs comments odd. Don’t know many that practice different than they perform when the lights go on.
- too much funk from Colton. If anyone can set a good fundamental base for him I would think DSJ can. He has done well with his weights at VT. May be just what CD needs.
- Harrington- good to hear KDs perspective. Hope MH buys in and rights his career trajectory. At 238 he is going to have to learn how to wrestle the big boys.

Let’s get this season going already! I’m ready.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Some interesting comments from KD:
- Parker is cutting some weight. Perhaps he ends up at 141 if/when Storr moves up. - Storr doesn’t sound like he is lighting up practice. Found KDs comments odd. Don’t know many that practice different than they perform when the lights go on.
- too much funk from Colton. If anyone can set a good fundamental base for him I would think DSJ can. He has done well with his weights at VT. May be just what CD needs.
- Harrington- good to hear KDs perspective. Hope MH buys in and rights his career trajectory. At 238 he is going to have to learn how to wrestle the big boys.

Let’s get this season going already! I’m ready.
I know lots of people that practice different than they perform. In fact, I think that is how you should practice. Practice is about trying new things, finding what works, and getting better.

Not a huge fan of Colton, but he is what he is. You take away the funk and he has nothing. It’s worked for him so far.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It looks weird to see we have only one ranked wrestler. I suspect that will change, however.

I'm hoping it changes pretty quick. But it is understandable given last season.

Hoping to see some ranked guys (even if they are d3, JuCo, or NAIA) at Harold Nichols so we can start to get a feel for this team.

• Agree
Reactions: CyAGR and matclone

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I know lots of people that practice different than they perform. In fact, I think that is how you should practice. Practice is about trying new things, finding what works, and getting better.

Not a huge fan of Colton, but he is what he is. You take away the funk and he has nothing. It’s worked for him so far.

Has it worked for him? I don't think it has, really.

We are a young team a little short on talent. Some interesting weights while a few others, especially through the middle, are a little "yikes." Things will get better. Soon.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Anyone know the situation at 125? Jon Marmolejo's sister is on my daughter's travel softball team, so of course I'm hoping that he can win the job.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Anyone know the situation at 125? Jon Marmolejo's sister is on my daughter's travel softball team, so of course I'm hoping that he can win the job.

From what we've seen, Vega is under-sized but probably more talented, while Marmolejo is an actual full-sized 125. We don't know a whole lot about Marmolejo to be honest, but we're hoping that'll get cleared up here in the next few weeks.

My money's on Vega, but really I'm just looking forward to seeing the best guy win the job.

Reactions: harimad

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Has it worked for him? I don't think it has, really.

We are a young team a little short on talent. Some interesting weights while a few others, especially through the middle, are a little "yikes." Things will get better. Soon.
He went 23-18 with 15 pins as a RS Freshman so it definitely worked for him but also worked against him at times. If he can find a balance where he doesn't have to rely only on funk, I think he could be really good for us. If not, I feel pretty good about Straw stepping up.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron