Principal Financial-Remote work

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
There was a restaurant in the small town I live in. It was a staple of the town. However, they up and bailed under cover of night so they could open a spot in Ankeny.

A few months later, they did a series of FB posts about how they were on the brink of failure. They were pleading with anyone and everyone to come eat at their new location just so they could keep the doors open. They didn't necessarily blame anyone, but they did not look inward, either. I told my wife "they're going to fail." Begging people on FB to come buy your food is not a long-term business strategy; it's a band-aid. Make a product people are willing to pay for if you want to survive. The google reviews of their Ankeny location were repeatedly "this is very expensive for the quality and quantity you get." They made it about another week after their desperation post before they closed for good.
The restaurant business is weird and insanely fickle. It's a weird alchemy of product, location and time to be successful. Hitting 2 of those 3 factors might allow it to hang on a while, but it's dicey.

I worked for a place right after high school and when I was back home on breaks in college. Their first location was downtown and was going gangbusters. They opened a second location - same concept, menu, everything - on the other side of town out in the suburbs. After a few months of initial success, the second location became such an albatross that it almost took the whole thing down. The owners closed the second location and managed to salvage the first, but it was dicey for awhile.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not sure how downtown Des Moines is but at least in Rochester pre-COVID you used to be able to get lunch with a drink for $10.

Now? $15 at minimum. The cost is up 50% and the food quantity is down 20%. The places where you can still get lunch for $10-$12 are still doing just fine. The places who thought they could raise prices indiscriminately got a reality check from the market.
With this, when did this trend of expensive burger places start? Who’s pays $20+ for a burger and fries?

The restaurants around here are just pricing themselves out of business. If the input costs are really that high to need to charge that much, then we’re going to end up with a society without lunch spots. And I’m not sure that’s a bad thing considering health issues in this country.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The restaurant business is weird and insanely fickle. It's a weird alchemy of product, location and time to be successful. Hitting 2 of those 3 factors might allow it to hang on a while, but it's dicey.

I worked for a place right after high school and when I was back home on breaks in college. Their first location was downtown and was going gangbusters. They opened a second location - same concept, menu, everything - on the other side of town out in the suburbs. After a few months of initial success, the second location became such an albatross that it almost took the whole thing down. The owners closed the second location and managed to salvage the first, but it was dicey for awhile.
Definitely. I don't want my earlier post to make it seem easy. My point was more that you have to offer a product that people want. Begging your friends and family to come buy your food so you can stay open is not a long-term business strategy. In the case I described, just keeping the doors open doesn't change anything long-term.

I have family that run a restaurant and its been interesting to hear about. They are a breakfast+lunch place in a decent sized city in Iowa. Days they think they're going to be slammed, they'll be dead. Then the opposite happens. But their whole philosophy is "offer good food, good service, at a reasonable price and the people will come." It's working well for them so far.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
With this, when did this trend of expensive burger places start? Who’s pays $20+ for a burger and fries?

The restaurants around here are just pricing themselves out of business. If the input costs are really that high to need to charge that much, then we’re going to end up with a society without lunch spots. And I’m not sure that’s a bad thing considering health issues in this country.
...but it's a hand formed patty!

At least most of the hospitality owners I've dealt with look at the books and say we need X more dollars. They then take X and divide it by the quantity they currently sell. They fail to realize there's a high likelihood you will lose customers at the increased price.

You CAN charge a premium for a burger...but you better have a premium experience. Have 75 beers on tap? That's potentially a premium experience. Parmesan truffle fries with the burger? Premium. Fresh ingredients? Premium. Great service? Premium.

Patty from Sysco, regular bun, crappy garnishes? Good luck at a premium price.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
...but it's a hand formed patty!

At least most of the hospitality owners I've dealt with look at the books and say we need X more dollars. They then take X and divide it by the quantity they currently sell. They fail to realize there's a high likelihood you will lose customers at the increased price.

You CAN charge a premium for a burger...but you better have a premium experience. Have 75 beers on tap? That's potentially a premium experience. Parmesan truffle fries with the burger? Premium. Fresh ingredients? Premium. Great service? Premium.

Patty from Sysco, regular bun, crappy garnishes? Good luck at a premium price.
We're pretty far afield from "Principal Financial-Remote Work" but this topic is interesting to me, so what the hell...

How does Five Guys stay in business? I get they are offering the premium product at the premium price, as in your example. But holy hell. The last time we went, it was $70 for our family of four (which includes two kids). For burgers, hot dogs, and fries. Yes, it's good. Yes, I'd much rather go there than a McD's. But that premium seems awfully high for this product category.

Obviously I'm missing something because they seem to be doing just fine. But we haven't gone back because of the shock of the price from last time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is it the businesses that need to adapt or is it the people that need to adapt and accept Covid is in the rear view mirror so a post-covid world may mean going back to the pre-covid work expectations? Food for thought that many don't want to consider.

That said, I've worked from home since 1998 suckas :)

If we discovered that some things work just fine or better as a response/result why go back to something that wasn't that good or needed?

Why can't pointlessly renting huge buildings out be in the rear view mirror?

Reactions: khardbored

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
We're pretty far afield from "Principal Financial-Remote Work" but this topic is interesting to me, so what the hell...

How does Five Guys stay in business? I get they are offering the premium product at the premium price, as in your example. But holy hell. The last time we went, it was $70 for our family of four (which includes two kids). For burgers, hot dogs, and fries. Yes, it's good. Yes, I'd much rather go there than a McD's. But that premium seems awfully high for this product category.

Obviously I'm missing something because they seem to be doing just fine. But we haven't gone back because of the shock of the price from last time.

This is a good read

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Do you know how much it costs to have 5 guys make 1 burger?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is a good read

That was really interesting. Thanks for sharing. It explains why they are so expensive. What it doesn't explain is how this is working from a strategy standpoint. The intro paragraph mentions losing millennials but doesn't state how that's affecting the business as a whole.

I'm all for a good burger, but there is a point of diminishing returns on quality in this space, to me. Kind of like how most people can't taste the difference between cheap wine and expensive wine, but there is a major difference in price.

When I eat at 5 Guys, I think "This is a good burger. Is it twice as good as anywhere else? Because the cost reflects that."

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
This is a good read

I usually split a burger and fries with my wife at Five Guys. Portions are bigger than normal and one can get plenty to eat with half the portion size. The price isn't too bad when you split

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneG

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Right. But getting them into the office would be a part of the PIP. I'm also convinced that a legit threat of going into the office 5 days per week would scare some (not all) non-performers into doing better work.

It could also be seen as punitive. If the company wants people in the office but only marginal performers are called in....

The Brave New World. Going to the office is punishment

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

I went to Five Guys im WDM once near when it first opened. Terrible service, people not getting their food, including us. I haven't been back since.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It’s tastes really good and the burgers and fries are huge. It really boils down to how delicious it is. I’m a Shake Shack #1 guy, but 5 Guys is about to take over the top spot.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It could also be seen as punitive. If the company wants people in the office but only marginal performers are called in....

The Brave New World. Going to the office is punishment

It is a punishment if you’ve gotten used to having two full time jobs while working from home.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017

20200819_093242.jpg

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I went to Five Guys im WDM once near when it first opened. Terrible service, people not getting their food, including us. I haven't been back since.
That's why I always avoid going to a new restaurant when it first opens. Large crowds + staff still learning = disaster.
Give it a month or two and the experience will be very different

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron